migman

Fake On A.net?

Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:13 am

Iam in a bit of a dilema as the this photo looks a bit ... well fake (sorry Air Nikon)

Its just the engine in the photo (it dont look like its ment to be there)

any thoughts

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon

Nuts
migman

joe pries

RE: Fake On A.net?

Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:20 am

Migman, get some cover you are about to be slammed on here  Big grin

Joe

sqwert17

Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:21 am

Here we go again.Some people never learn.

migman

Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:26 am

learn what ?
i am just pointing out what i think is mabey a Fake/Super imposed photo, and im just intrested in what others think of the photo

Nuts
migman

atco

Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:38 am

This is a joke isn't it?
Canon through and through

sudden

Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:39 am

Where chould the engine be if not outside the window!?
Inside the A/C!?

Yes, you chould really buckle up, cause this will be a "bumpy" ride for you Mr. Migman!

When in doubt, flat out!

Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:41 am

Why should it be fake. It looks perfectly normal.

migman

Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:44 am

ever thought the photo might have never inculded a engine !!!
just a thought but where is the other engine of the 747-422?

Nuts
migman

clickhappy

Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:46 am

looks okay by me! I doubt AirNikon has the time to fake a photo, that guy is EVERYWHERE.

tsentsan

Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:47 am

just a thought but where is the other engine of the 747-422?

Gosh, heard of a ZOOM lens?
NO URLS in signature

photopilot

Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:47 am

Silly people.....

Then engine is real, it's the ground that is fake. Big grin

It was actually shot while in orbit around the planet Vulcan. Big grin

In other words.......

For god's sake... get a life and stop this ad-nauseum accusations of fakes on A.net.

thank you
Steve

sudden

Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:48 am

Ok,

basic lesson comming up!
The wings are not pointing straight out from the A/C, but are swept back, so take a wild guess where no.1 is.
I just gave you the answer, so lets see if you can bust this quiz.
When in doubt, flat out!

migman

Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:53 am

well many pepole in my office have had a loook and think the engine is super imposed on to the photo.
because of the fact the of the cowling would have some light in or more on it ?

Nuts
migman

atco

Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:57 am

Well there we go then.......

It's official ! Everyone in the office (Who I am sure are World leaders in aviation photography) says its fake........then it simply must be.

What fools we are here, and we thought it was real........well the office has spoken, so now us beginners know better.
Thanks for showing us the light.

Please, please for God's sake stop this.

This thread has gone way beyond ridiculous.

EGGD

Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:01 am

I'd hate to think what would happen if the engine wasn't there!!!  Nuts

sudden

Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:03 am

EGGD....

the engine is not there cause it's a fake.
Everybody at the office says so.  Big grin
When in doubt, flat out!

migman

Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:05 am

atco for a man of you stature i thought you would have more of a less childish attuide!
all i am doing is just voicing others veiws that dont have access to this discussion.

Dazed767

Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:08 am

It's real. He zoomed in a bit, and there is no light on the engine, because the sun is on the other side of the aircraft.

Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:10 am

Do you think these here will convince you that there is a reason why you do only see one engine ?

View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon
View Large View Medium

Photo © Timon Kruisman

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Hillberg
View Large View Medium

Photo © Robert Lee

For more pictures just search the database.

chris28_17

Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:14 am

So what, he's wrong it's not fake.

i have no problem with people posting "fake pictures" accusations on here, as long as it can easily be proven otherwise then what's the big deal? He was very respectful in his post as well, and i kinda like knowing someone is keeping us in check. I get accused of my pics being "fake" via email all the time, who cares?? i dont send them a nasty email telling them "how dare you accuse me of that!"

Please, please for God's sake stop this.
This thread has gone way beyond ridiculous.

no it hasnt. So what?? it's not fake, the guy "migman" thought it was and he was wrong, im sure he can be a man and accept it.

WHAAAAAHHHH  Crying

get over it

chris

thomasphoto60

Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:15 am

Sigh.........here we go again!

Yo Migman (Jamie), instead of accusing one of A.Net's more respected photographers of faking in a public forum, why not e-mail him first and ask about the photo in question? Did that ever cross you mind ? Perhaps you were thinking that you were going to make a big splash here and expose an evil 'faker'. If so well you are about find out the hard way that making such acqusations will quickly blow up in your face as a few others implied earlier in this thread.

Making charges of faking a photo without proof is a big NO-NO here and can get both parties into trouble! Just because you can not figure out how a pic was made does not give you the all clear to accuse anyone of faking anything! Especially someone with AirNikon's reputation and history.

You appear to be new to this particular forum (I suppose most of your other 62 posts were elsewhere), however ingnorance is not an acceptable substitute for common sense. You have not made a very good first impression with many here and short of a formal apology to AirNikon it may be sometime before you are trusted by the regular participants here. Not a great way to introduce yourself to the Photographers forum!

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

migman

ever thought it was possibal that the photo never had a engine in it!!!
and that just mabey a engine would look good ?!?!?!

well sorry i upset all you "pro" photographers  Yawn and one of ya buddies

but the statment of mine of the "office" is undermined by the word THINK ie a persons perception or perspective

atco

Migman,

No sir, what you are doing is accusing someone of planting a fake photo in a very public way when it very obviously is not fake.

Then not content with hearing from some very knowledgable people, you continued this nonsense based on the opinions of the office, when frankly a very large line should have been drawn under this whole discussion.

So, sorry you felt the response was childish, but it was appropriate for the level of discussion.

Now please accept this is not a fake photo and leave it at that?

Jan Mogren

Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:17 am

Is this thread for real??
/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

LOT767-300ER

Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:23 am

"Is this thread for real??"

I asked myself the same question Jan.

migman

Ok Sorry

Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:30 am

ok sorry i spoke on a PUBLIC forum about my PUBLIC view
just sums up some people in the spotting circles what has been said on here!

thats all i am going to say on the matter
as far as i am concernd it's over and you have all made up your minds.

Alaskaairlines

Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:59 am

Just don't make theads like this in the future, these usually go hard!

AirNikon would never do a thing like that! He has the most uploads in the db.

-Dmitry

AirNikon

Wed Oct 16, 2002 3:07 am

For the record, ID# 284384 and 283701 (shown in an earlier post) were both taken from UA744 N183UA (UA539/19AUG/DENLAX), from seat 8A (through the window).

Both shots were taken with a Nikon CP995 digcam with Nikon WC-63E Wide Angle converter. ID# 284384 was taken at 1822MDT climbing out of DIA. Sunlight was
diffused as we had not penetrated the high overcast yet (reaffirming lack of light).

I had a choice of shots to upload, either more engine or less engine. I opted for the latter, as the shot with 90% of the cowling looked unbalanced and distracted from the subject matter on the ground.

I think I did a decent job of making-up that fake information. If I left anything out, please let me know...
Don't get married, don't have kids, and you will have more money than you know what to do with...

joe pries

Wed Oct 16, 2002 3:17 am

Mike for fake information that sure was comprehensive- where did you copy that from?  Big grin

Joe

apuneger

Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:08 am

Guys, guys, calm down. The guy just asked a normal question, he didn't accuse anybody of anything. He just wanted to hear some thoughts, he didn't say anywhere 'look, we have another fake one'...

So, if you can all settle down now  Big thumbs up

Ivan

Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

PUnmuth@VIE

Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:20 am

quoted from the initial post
Iam in a bit of a dilema as the this photo looks a bit ... well fake (sorry Air Nikon)

He didnt accuse anybody? well i dont know.
Peter
-

Skymonster

Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:23 am

I hope Migman doesn't upload photographs to the site himself...  Nuts Because if he does, I think he's going to get a few rejections in the near term future! Big grin

Andy

(those who KNOW will know what I mean - and no Migman, I'm not talking about your post in another topic - dont worrie mate this seams too be a exculsive club anyway to the "regular" posters - we chose to ignore that!)
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

sunilgupta

Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:48 am

Andy, I’d be careful what you say (smileys notwithstanding)… you are only giving ammo to those who think the screening process is flawed. Either explain what you mean fully or refrain from such comments. Your statement gives credence to Migman’s statement on the other thread!!

Sorry if I missed any intended irony in your post.

Sunil

FACT

Wed Oct 16, 2002 5:24 am

For the record, this user posted the same question an hour earlier in the General Aviation forum, which was deleted. The moderator did inform him in the deletion notice that the photo would have passed extensive screening before being added to the database, so would highly unlikely be fake.

This type of thread make ME mad. Everytime I see one of these (which, sadly, is more and more often these days) I get closer to agreeing with Thomas that this particular forum on A.net needs a qualified membership.

I deal with this sort of thing on a daily basis - people who click on that handy button and fire off a "correction" of what they THINK is right without bothering to do any research first. Consequently, my correction rejection rate has climbed from about 40% three years ago to over 70% today. It seems the world is fast filling with lazy know-it-alls.

Andrew
Corrections Editor
there are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't

sunilgupta

Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:00 am

Andrew,

Just the man I needed to talk to... I've made a few corrections in the past few months (for example photo id 281843) and don't see any of them updated in the database. What gives  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Is there any way to provide feedback on the corrections (right or wrong)? How about a feedback queue?... oh no, not another queue!!!

Sunil

dripstick

Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:03 am

"...instead of accusing one of A.Net's more respected photographers of faking in a public forum, why not e-mail him first and ask about the photo in question?"

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y ! ! !

Dripstick
What's another word for thesaurus?

EGFF

Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:17 am

I find it very disappointing that the photographers take there time to upload to a.net for YOU to view and then you have the cheek to cry "fake"
A disgusted EGFF  Pissed
All together or not at all

FACT

Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:38 am

Sunil, your correction submissions are probably stuck in a backlog somewhere ... I do have one of those, unfortunately. The only corrections that get priority treatment are those that come from the photographer him-/herself.

I've fixed photo 281843 to the EC-135N it was supposed to be, though  Smile

View Large View Medium

Photo © Europix

Andrew
Corrections Editor
there are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't

thomasphoto60

Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:44 am

You know it simply blows my mind how a simple word can change the whole dynamic of a thread. Had 'Migman' said something to the effect "How was this photo taken, it looks a little odd?" and refrained from using the dreaded 'F' word then the tone of this thread would have been very different, perhaps even cordial.

I am still mystified why folks feel the need bring such hot button topics as this up in a public forum such as this, when it is so easy just to shoot an e-mail to the photographer himself.

I agree EGFF, when one goes to the trouble of taking a photo, waiting what for what may seem an eternity to get said photo successfully uploaded, only to have some 'know -it-all' accuse you of faking and putting your reputation on the line.

Just another example why I advocate that this forum be restricted to contributing photographers.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

chris28_17

Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:33 am

as i said earlier, LEAVE HIM THE F*** ALONE... he made a mistake, let it go...

chris

migman

Once Agian Sorry!

Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:35 am

Once agian i am SORRY

I have sent an e-mail to AirNikon appoligiseing to him so lets all do ourselves a favour and just leave this as it is (Finished)

migman Embarrassment

p.s 777236ER i dont think you are funny with your little comment its a view on the forum about aircraft how did you come up with your assumption of me when you dont know me?

thats all im going to say on this discussion

ExitRow

Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:41 am

The only thing fake on this thread is Migman's expertise in photography or digital manipulation.

I'll say it again. Claims of fakery in this forum done without ever contacting the photographer or without decent, explicit proof, should be grounds for deletion or suspension.

Members in non-av get deleted and suspended for verbally insulting other members, why is it that professionally insulting someone isn't enough for the same consequence?

The ONLY time a "fakery thread" should be tolerated is when all other means of investigation are exhausted. Those means should be: 1.) No response form the photographer. 2.) No response from A.net Admin. (Which would be hard to believe in a case like this.)

Threads like this devaluate the quality of this forum.

chris28_17

Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:47 am

Once agian i am SORRY

HE'S SORRY FOR PETE'S SAKE!!

Anyone else who replies to this post to bash "migman" is far more immature and childish than he is for his post.

He made a mistake, im sure you've buried him enough that he will never again objectively look at pictures, now take whatever human decency and respect you still have left and shut up.

I think some people get off on the "fake" posts because they know it gives them a chance to climb on their high horse and bash someone with no resistance whatsoever.

children, children.... sheessshh

chris

ExitRow

Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:00 am

Anyone else who replies to this post to bash "migman" is far more immature and childish than he is for his post.

Oooooookay.  Yeah sure

He made a mistake, im sure you've buried him enough that he will never again objectively look at pictures, now take whatever human decency and respect you still have left and shut up.

Shut up? Shut up!? LOL.

I think some people get off on the "fake" posts because they know it gives them a chance to climb on their high horse and bash someone with no resistance whatsoever.

Thanks for your input.

Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:40 am

Exitrow, at least Chris HAS input.

mirage

Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:52 am

I agree with Chris, Migman made a mistake, he realized he was wrong and said "sorry" to everybody so lets try to be also comprehensive and calm.

If he was not a newbie and insisted in the fake issue, then my position would be different.

Luis

thomasphoto60

Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:58 am

Chris is a valued member of this forum which is why I was more than a little taken a back by his support for Migman, I have a feeling that ol' Chris would be singin a diffrent tune had one of his pics been marked as a fake.

That said Migman apologized to appropriate parties so I am willing to drop it as well.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

mirage

Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:05 am

I said that because he's not insisting anymore. I also agree with you Thomas that he should have asked in first place to the photographer but now it's no more a question.

Luis

ExitRow

Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:06 am

NonRev...

Hssssssssss!!!! Mrrrrrrrrrr!!!! Hssssssssss...

thomasphoto60

Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:17 am

William,

LOL........ Laugh out loud  Big thumbs up

This absouletly floored me!

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"