clickhappy

Digital Storage In The Field - What Do You Use?

Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:25 am

One or two large storage devices (Microdrives or 1 gig CF cards) or several smaller cards (256, etc.)?

I prefer to use several 256 meg cards. And only ones of high quality (Lexar Pro, Sandisk Ultra) that way if one fails I don't loose any of my shots.

apuneger

RE: Digital Storage In The Field - What Do You Use?

Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:45 am

I currently have one 1gB Microdrive. I know, maybe not the best solution, but if you take care of it, it works really well, and it also was cheaper than the equivalent storage amount on CF.

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

clickhappy

Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:53 am

I want to get a microdrive, but am worried about having all my shots on one disk. Sorta like all your eggs in one basket.

Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:46 am

After using digital for a while I've come to the conclussion that what's best (for us) is 2 512Mb memory chips, and a digital wallet.

The digital wallet is a small unit with a hard disk drive that you download your pictures to allowing you to reuse the memory chips whilst away from home.

Little pricey to get all the equi8pment but very convenient.

VH-ADG

Jan Mogren

Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:21 am

I have microdrive and CF and need to look into some more stuff.
Anybody tried this one?
http://www.archos.com/lang=en/products/prw_500347.html?country=se
Looks cool, you can play mp3's , video and store your shots. You can look at your jpg's but not your crw's ...
/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

ckw

Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:17 am

2x 256mb and a little laptop for me - I keep meaning to buy a couple more cards, but I've gotta kind of rythym to my camera-laptop-camera shuffle now, so the need isn't too pressing.

My little Sony has great battery life, lots of disk and great for showing clients/potential clients shots on the spot.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Bruce

Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:25 am

I bought a MindStor when I was in Seattle. I was kind of forced to. I only have one CF card and dont want to buy more, so I took it inot a camera store for them to make me a CD and the pics ended up badly overexposed somehow. So I decided that I needed to fork over the $$$ because i could not take chances on vacation pics that I might not be able to create again.

I spent $350 (u.s.d.) on a 10gb MindStor. it is a portable hard Drive into which you put the CF card and download, then when you get back to your computer you hook it up via either usb or firewire and drag-and-drop pics from there into your computer. It's all there. MindStor is operated by a rechargeable battery or wall power. I was a little disappointed in how long the battery lasted, but consider that you only turn it on to download into it it should be ok. Now I can shoot all the pics I want on 1 CF card and not worry about space - and also i shoot now at the higest res.

I'd recommend it. You can also buy a 20gb version.
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

Tonimr

Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:44 am

One 1GB Microdrive plus 2 small CF cards as a backup (totalling only 200MB).

I hardly fill the Microdrive at my local Airport (even shooting RAW most of the times), but I take my 40GB laptop when I travel or in very busy days.

More than 5000 shots and the Microdrive hasn't failed...

Toni
There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.

avroarrow

Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:39 am

I'm a big fan of multiple smaller storage units, having been burned once by a new media card that worked once when I tested it and then died when I later tried extracting the shots from it. While it is a very rare occurence to have media failure these days, it can still happen...and boy does it suck when it happens to you.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Give me a mile of road and I can take you a mile. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.

digby

Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:11 pm

I am in the market for a Nixvue Vista. You can buy them (if in stock- arghh) in 10, 20 and 30gb drives, and they come with their own screen, so that you can see the images once they are downloaded. Similar to the Mindstor, it also connects via USB to your computer when you get home.

All I have to do now, is wait for the one and only importer in Australia to GET THEM IN!

Then I'm set to go!

DM
Friends don't let friends shoot Nikon!

737heavy

Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:18 pm

I bought an Image Tank some time ago and it is great except for the fact that it's only USB 1.1. There is now a few more versions like X-Drive but these are still USB 1.1. I've now bought a 20gb Mindstor, which comes with firewire built in. I originally used my laptop too but going back to the car to set my laptop up meant I was missing some of the stuff I had gone to see.

I was finding that I could go out for the day and go through a few gb of images. I'd get home and spend 2 or 3 hours downloading them to my computer over USB.

If anyone in the UK would like a 20gb Image Tank let me know.

Regards

Panman

Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:45 pm

How much do you want for it?

737heavy

Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:57 am

I'd like £170+, or £100 if you don't want the 20gb hard drive. I might have another use for the hard drive if it's not wanted. If you want something other that CF then look at the X-Drive.

Regards