Ned Kelly
Topic Author

Sydney Photo Opportunities?

Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:20 pm

Some help from those photographers familiar with Sydney (YSSY) would be appreciated.

I am flying to Sydney via Vancouver this Friday (22nd), and I am hoping to escape from the family for a couple of days to take some photos at the airport. If anyone could help with the following:

· Best places for photos, approach and terminal areas?

· Would my camera with a 210mm (6 x optical) be sufficient?

· Best time of day to visit the airport?

· As I am unlikely to have a car, are these areas accessible by public transport?

Thanks in advance for your help.

twr75

RE: Sydney Photo Opportunities?

Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:28 am

1. http://www.acay.com.au/~willt/yssy/
2. Depends on the location, but should generally be OK.
3. Dawn-~1100 & ~1400-Dusk
4. Answered in #1.
Like a seagull on the MCG of life...

The Red Baron

Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:39 am

1. As above. Morning by the tower, afternoon on the edge of Botany Bay.
2. Morning - no probs, afternoon - OK if you have a step ladder, you may be able to get some shots without but there will be a fence in the lower foreground.
3. Morning by far - much busier and a lot more foreigners. Suggest 0630-1300.
4. To the tower catch the long stay car park shuttle - its just a couple of hundred yards walk from here. Botany Bay is a taxi ride or catch a lift with some of the friendly spotters (there's lots of them) you're bound to meet by the tower.

The tower and BB spots are 34/16 rwy spots.....

If they use rwy 25 its about 1/2 mile walk from Dom terminal or a 1/4 mile walk from the Virgin Blue terminal. Both have shuttle busses from the Intl terminal I believe.

SYD is a super place for piccies - have a look at some I took a few weeks ago.

Rgds
Bill Blanchard
goodweather.flyer@btinternet.com

Ned Kelly
Topic Author

Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:00 am

Thanks very much for your help guys. TWR75 I checked the link & it is a great website, I plan to print it all off tomorrow to take with me. It would be great to meet some fellow spotters/photogs from down under. I have checked the photos here on a.net of YSSY, very good indeed. It will make a change from the cold afternoon I had at BOH & LHR on Monday.

Hopefully my brother who lives in Sydney has a stepladder I can borrow (if he does, I hope I can take it on the bus & ferry!).

I am arriving on Air Canada on Monday AM (about 0715 local (having a 24hr stop in CYVR)), so if there is anyone there at the time who can take a photo of our plane arriving & to upload to a.net, even better.

Once again, thanks very much for your help.

Ned.