Midway DC9-10
Topic Author

A&I Processing Labs

Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:37 am

Has anyone ever used A&I for Kodachrome processing?

With all the Kodak processing complaints I have been hearing about it suprises me that so many still use Kodak to process this film if someone else may do it better.

If they are good as I had heard in an earlier thread, why don't more photographers use them? I also heard they do push processing which Kodak will not do.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

planephoto

RE: A&I Processing Labs

Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:00 am

I have used A&I for many years off and on and have been very pleased with their service. Although I have never had Kodachrome processing done, only Fuji and other E-6, I have had 100's of rolls done with no processing complaints. All of mine have been done through the mail, i.e. A&I Prepaid Mailers. just my $.02... Scott
[ blog - http://www.scottfillmer.com ] | [ gallery - http://www.auburnimages.com ]

joe pries

Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:07 am

Kodak in Fairlawn NJ has gotten much much better- still not always perfect but much improved nontheless. A&I is more expensive but certainly if kodak started killing my slides i'd consider it, though I hear A&I is also not always perfect, they scratch slides too i've heard from guys out in the west coast.

Joe

Midway DC9-10
Topic Author

Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:41 pm

I did recently have about eight rolls ruined by Kodak. There were multiple dots on the slides in all different spots on each slide. And, on one roll they had some white liquid substance that streaked the slides. This is why I am considering another processor.

Thanks guys for the replies!

cschleic

Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:22 pm

I've had a few hundred rolls done by A&I and no serious problems, although most recently a few had small scratches. Also do a lot of outdoor/nature shooting, and A&I is very popular with pros in the field.

Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:23 pm

I stopped using A&I because I was getting Kodachrome back with scratches and fingerprints on both sides of the slides. I send mine off to Fairlawn and have had better success so far.

Stephen

benyhone

Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:33 am

Haven't had any problems with A&I processing my K64. One consideration is ordering their pre-paid mailers online - if you use the A&I website, the minimum order is 10 mailers.

Interestingly - I heard from my local camera shop clerk that there is a "new" Kodachrome processing facility in Lansing, Michigan. Supposedly this has all-new processing equipment. He's been telling the local Kodachrome photogs that we can expect a lot less scratching and other processing "errors". I haven't had any slides go to Lansing yet, so I can't give a first-hand report.

Terry
Cactus Wings
Cactus Wings Photography, Phoenix

joe pries

Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:47 am

Terry,
I was once told that a kodachrome processing "machine" has a roughly 20 million dollar pricetag. Given that they are building a new one, I think that goes a long way in cementing the fact that kr is gonna be with us for many years to come, as kodak in rochester and fairlawn always tell me.

Joe

benyhone

Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:19 am

yeah Joe, once I heard that, I thought the same thing - K64 is gonna be with us for a while. Between the Lansing plant, A&I in Hollywood, etc - there's more than one option for K64 processing - hopefully that cuts down on the instances of scratched slides, fingerprints, and chemical droplets.

Terry
Cactus Wings Photography, Phoenix

Midway DC9-10
Topic Author

Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:44 am

All this about Lansing is news to me. I hope this will reduce the errors in the future. I ordered a few A&I mailers from B&H to try them out.

Thanks,
Dave