PPGMD
Topic Author

MCO Spotting News

Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:11 pm

Just a heads up the Frontage Rd Parking area will be closing sometime next week, because of the terrorists attacks in Kenya.
At worst, you screw up and die.

Dazed767

RE: MCO Spotting News

Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:12 pm

You gotta be kidding me....where did you hear this? It's not even on airport property...it's on the other side of the highway. Arrrrrrgggggg!  Pissed

PPGMD
Topic Author

Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:21 pm

It was on the Orlando NBC newscast today. They will put up a fence to block it soon. It really sucks, I remember as a kid going to the airport and watching the airplanes land from the parking areas that they provided.
At worst, you screw up and die.

Dazed767

Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:01 am

It was also in the paper. Might be a few months before this happens (from what it seemed like). It seemed like it's 50/50....some are for it, and other oppose it. Time to start sending out emails it seems....

scottysair

Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:17 am

Justin,

What is heck happen into MCO airport and why doesn't closeing into the your spotting there, too? Why did gotta to know about something was going on? When will be reopen it up again soon into the future? I need with the your answer for me. Thanks!!

Regards,

Scott W.

clickhappy

Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:17 am

why don't they just shut down the whole airport? That way they can guarantee the safety of all travellers.

scottysair

Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:30 am

Clickhappy,

It's won't not do shutdown whole with US Airports and they will be fine for now into the U.S.A. cities. I think will be have a no problems into the United States. OK? Just for only into the Kenya by central Africa. I do knew that was luckily was nobody got a hurts inside of the aircraft. Well, catch ya later!!

Regards,

Scott W.

Scooter

Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:35 am

I don't live anywhere near MCO, I've never taken pictures there, and I don't plan to anytime soon - but this really ticks me off.

Does anybody have an email address that we can send complaints to?
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing trip reports.

thomasphoto60

Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:45 am

Wow, you FLA guys seem to be having it a bit rough right now. I hope it's not contagious! Whats next?........M**?....Oops, I had better not complete that code, I don't want jinx you guys any more than you already are.

Seems like the airport managers there are running around like a bunch of 'chicken littles'. So far rational and level heads appear to be prevailing here in Tx.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

Dazed767

Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:03 am

So far nothing has been done, I think it would be a few months before something would actually be done about it.

Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:45 am

The designated parking lot off the end of runway 31 at Jacksonville has yet to be closed.  Smile

jhooper

Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:43 am

Seems like the airport managers there are running around like a bunch of 'chicken littles'. So far rational and level heads appear to be prevailing here in Tx.

Let's just hope this remains the case.  Smile
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

b757300

Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:06 am

"Seems like the airport managers there are running around like a bunch of 'chicken littles'. So far rational and level heads appear to be prevailing here in Tx."

Well, @ most airports anyway.

Actually, it doesn't surprise me that airports in Florida are being stupid. What do you expect from the state that gave us the 2000 election FUBAR.  Laugh out loud
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

thomasphoto60

Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:17 am

Well, I received an interesting and somewhat up-beat e-mail from HAS this afternoon. In short there are no plans regarding the closure of any of IAH 2 viewing areas, however the following statement was made.

"In fact we ourselves can not guarantee that we will not be constrained to adopt additional security measures in the future"

Which when you think about it only makes sense to make such a statement considering the times in which we live. A more positive statement followed however.

"At present we feel comfortable with the existing arrangement regarding your airport photography activities"

My impression is that if HAS, has their way the spotting areas would remain open forever. Upon re-reading the threads regarding the closures of MCO and FLL, I get the feeling these closings were not spearheaded so much by the airport operators themselves rather by bureaucrats in the various city governments that have little knowledge of aviation. I just hope this mentality does not spread to some vote hungary city councilman or ambitious bureaucrat here.

So, while we may lack a great deal of diversity and spit and polished observation areas like DFW and FLL, IAH (and HOU) are still welcoming the aviation enthusiast with open arms.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"