DB777

FLL View Park Online Petition - Now Up To 303

Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:47 pm

Petition URL: http://www.petitiononline.com/openpark/petition.html

A little while ago the petition level was at 303 signatures with a lot of well-known photographers and writers who have signed from all over the world, and two well-known Noo Yawk area photogs who have not signed. I'll send a free 8x10 of any recently posted photo of mine that you want to the first person who figures out who they are and posts their guesses in this thread.

The Sun-Sentinel newspaper will be doing a follow-up article in the next couple of days and the reporter told me that his editor wants to do a separate article just on the online petition if we can get the total number of signatures up higher. He said the editor is impressed by the number we have so far, where people are from and what they are saying in their comments. Hopefully the article will have the online petition URL so more local residents can sign on to it.

When the petition is closed out in a week or two I will send e-mail copies of it and hard copies of it to a zillion different people and organizations so folks can see what a dumb decision at the airport can do to various other tourism-related entities.

Thanks to everyone who has signed and forwarded this information to other groups and clubs!

Don
Photographing aircraft since the Earth was flat and on Airliners.net since #338

Fly-K

RE: FLL View Park Online Petition - Now Up To 303

Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:42 pm

Wow, the list of signatures reads like a "Who's Who" of the aviation photography world! Except the two missing ones of course...

Good luck!

Konstantin
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

andyhunt
Crew

Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:52 pm

Hi Don,

Signed  Smile/happy/getting dizzy and good luck.

Andrew
Full frame always beats post processing

Alaskaairlines

Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:09 pm

Well my guess would be:

Joe Pries
and Tom Turner.

I bet JP is one of them and Tom was my guess, but Carlos came to mind, but he's a Newark guy. So possibly a 5x7 for me if I didn't hit it?  Big grin

Thats my guess.

-Dmitry

PPGMD

Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:50 pm

The problem is that they are going to need Floridaians to sign it, they don't care what outsiders think, they care the most about people that can remove them from office.
At worst, you screw up and die.

DB777

RE: FLL View Park Online Petition - Now Up To 324

Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:13 am

Hint: I wrote says Noo Yawk area, not Noo Yawk, Dmitry and you're half right so far which equates to a 4 x 5 if you don't get the second guy correct.

And I agree with PPGMD's comment about local residents needing to sign it, although signatures from around the world will help our cause with several tourism organizations, the Hotel/Motel Association, the Restaurant Owners Association, the Florida Ladder Association (that's a joke), etc. These folks have some clout with the county commission.

Hopefully the Sun-Sentinel article will have the URL so local residents can sign on. I can't imagine them doing an article about the petition and not including the URL - would be kind of senseless. There were a lot of locals using that park on a daily basis and I can't imagine them not feeling the same way we do. Without the article I don't know of a way for locals to find out about the URL unless I stand along the road and pass flyers out to folks trying to get into the view park and I'm sure BSO will pick me up for a free ride somewhere if I do that.

Don

Carlos Borda

Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:57 am

OK Uncle D... I signed it! Been pretty busy this month with our holiday peak season in full swing so it slipped my mind.

~Los

Uncle D writes:

>>and two well-known Noo Yawk area photogs who have not signed<<

Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:04 am

Great! Maybe we can make some difference here. Seems as though MCO is a lost cause.  Pissed God, I'm so happy I moved from that ass backwards hell hole state.

Don, please keep up posted about anything further we can do to help!

Brian - SPOT THIS!

timdegroot

Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:19 am

"Been pretty busy this month with our holiday peak season in full swing so it slipped my mind."

Tell me about it C, I'm working extra shifts all month to cope with the extra work Smile

Tim
Alderman Exit

Alaskaairlines

Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:42 am

Don, my guess then would be: Howard Chaloner

Let me know.

-Dmitry

USAFHummer

Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:46 am

Don...

Which reporter is going to write it? I assume Ken Kaye...Please let me know when the article appears...Ill be down in FLL from next Friday to 10 days after that (the 29th), so if anyone wants to have a gathering there make yourselves known  Big grin

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Dazed767

Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:00 am

Signed it finally, sorry it took so long...

JC

CcrlR

Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:19 am

I signed it. Hope this works.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

Carlos Borda

Sat Dec 14, 2002 9:49 am

Ohh the agony.... just another 7 working days left and then the craziness is over T.  Nuts
Did a 12 hour day today. SDF and MEM are rocking this month...

~Los

Tim writes:

>>Tell me about it C, I'm working extra shifts all month to cope with the extra work<<

thomasphoto60

Sat Dec 14, 2002 10:10 am

Done and done...#350. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

cicadajet

Sat Dec 14, 2002 10:15 am

Dmitry, I think its that drifter guy, Jose Prize that hasn't signed yet. Thats my guess.

Too bad Don mispent his youth scaring women away from the beach; we could have used him to save Noo Yawk's observation decks back when Joe and Carlos were little tykes on trikes.

Tom...
signature 300 & something....

Alaskaairlines

Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:03 am

I already got part of it right, and I am sure the last part will be guessed in no time.

-Dmitry

L-188

Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:36 pm

How can you expect reason from a bunch of people who don't even know how to vote.

The only thing I can think of doing, is really making popular those airports who have management that doesn't have it's head up its ass and refuse to travel through those that do.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

DB777

Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:37 am

Dmitry, it was Carlos "Dingo Dog" Borda who had not signed and now he has. So you got the crooked eye guy correct. Send me a private e-mail about which recent upload you want an 8x10 of. Send me $5US and I'll tell you why Carlos has that nickname in a close group of friends.

Well, right now we're up to 368 with the addition of Michel Moskal from Just Planes Videos. Joe Baumann is e-mailing aviation site owners and asking them to sign the petition and get their website listed for free. That might be a good idea.

Any help in getting more signatures onto the petition would be appreciated!

Don

mirage

Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:21 am

I've sent it to a portuguese mailing list and a portuguese aviation forum. One member is a journalist and he might use this for some kind of article.

Luis

cschleic

Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:49 am

One of the email responses received from a commissioner:

"It is the airport's respnsiblity to follow the federal guidelines and protect
the public."
Hmmmm...not very constructive.

The petition's up to 387. Good to see so much interest.

Alaskaairlines

Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:44 am

Don, will e-mail you tonight. I'll have to do some photo viewing to decide, hard decision.

-Dmitry

cv880m

Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:08 pm

Petition signed. Up to 393 as of 12/14.
Howard

blackbird1

Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:17 pm

Just signed. 398 and counting....... Blackbird1
I'd rather be flying!

aagold

Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:36 pm

I'm number 425 ... hopefully more will sign

Art

USAFHummer

Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:31 am

This is not good...Ive just heard from a chat user that the area is gone for good courtesy of the BCAD operations department...I was also told that even before the Kenya attacks that they were planning on closing it anyway to add additional ramp space for cargo aircraft...

Im going to choose not to believe this until I see it in written proof from a confirmed source, but I think you all should know that...lets pray it isnt true...

Greg

timdegroot

Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:58 am

I got this response to an email I send out about a week ago:

Dear Mr. de Groot:

Thank you for your recent email in which you explained your concern about the closing of the viewing area at the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. As a fellow aviation enthusiast, I too share your concern; but as you correctly pointed out in your e-mail, there are very real threats to the aviation industry and I have no alternative but to close the viewing area for security reasons.

It is my hope to reopen the viewing area at some point in the future, when the many threats that we currently face as a nation have been eliminated. Until that time, we ask for your patience, understanding and confidence in knowing that this was not a rash decision, but rather a thoughtful decision that was made after discussion with the many law enforcement agencies that serve a major role in the safe operation of the airport.

It is my hope that you will still visit south Florida this winter and enjoy the wide array of actives that we have to offer in Broward County.

Best regards,

Director of Aviation
Alderman Exit

USAFHummer

Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:25 am

Yes...most of us who wrote people in the Broward County Aviation Department and/or government got similar responses...

Im still waiting for confirmation, the person who reported this news to me about it being gone for good said there was a press release put out but I havent been able to locate it...

Greg

flpuck6

Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:48 am

I got another response today.

Are they so stupid as to realize they're all sending the same response?

-Chris
Bonjour Chef!

DB777

RE: FLL View Park Online Petition - Now Up To 470

Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:05 pm

Thanks to everyone who has signed the online petition!

To answer the last question: no, they know they are sending out the same responses. There are at least three Broward County people sending out the same responses, and it's amazing they are all aviation enthusiasts too! They are Mayor Wasserman-Rubin, Airport Director Bill Sherry, and airport spokesman Jim Reynolds. Fortunately, some people are sending responses back saying "what kind of a response is this? It's the same as the one being posted on airliners.net repeatedly, and it doesn't answer the concerns that I raised and it sure doesn't answer the questions I asked." There are no responses to these responses reported that I know of.

One of the petition signers e-mailed me and said he was recently shooting on Ravenswood Road which runs north-south on the west side of I-95 when he was stopped by a Broward Sheriff's Office deputy. He was forced to produce ID and told to stay out of the area and not photograph aircraft because his camera and film would be confiscated if he was caught again. He sent the Broward Commissioners a letter about it and he got the same lame form response from airport spokesman Jim Reynolds who apparently doesn't give a damn about the subject matter that a writer is addressing.

The lack of ingenuity and initiative by Broward officials is appalling to say the least and I sent my response back to Commissioner Lori Nance Parrish saying that the responses being sent out are pathetic because they don't answer our concerns or our questions.

Don

USAFHummer

Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:23 pm

Thanks for the action Don, we appreciate it greatly...

Any word on the status of the next set of Sentinel articles?

Thanks,
Greg

DB777

Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:12 am

I was hoping something would have been published by the middle of this week but so far nothing. I'll post it if and when the followup article(s) appear. I got a lengthy e-mail from Airport Director Bill Sherry this afternoon that needs some time to digest since he copied all of the county commissioners while defending his position.

Don

USAFHummer

Sat Dec 21, 2002 6:26 am

Ok thanks Don, Im in FLL now and will be down til the 29th so Ill pick up the Sentinel everyday and keep my eyes peeled...there will be an FLL gathering on December 28th, time and location TBD (see thread in non-av "South Florida Gathering", everyone is welcome to come...

Greg