soontobepilot

Who Is AirNikon

Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:30 am

Well???

Is it a single person or a group? Rather impressive if one person can get over 8000 shots accepted at a.net!!!

Sorry if everyone already knows this and it is common knowledge, as I am sure it is.

-soontobepilot

mirage

RE: Who Is AirNikon

Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:38 am

He's a guy that's everywhere all the time, always with a camera and a computer with internet conection Big grin

In case AirNikon reads this, don't take me wrong, it's just a little joke  Smile

Luis
P.S. seriously I don't have an answer

wietse

Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:38 am

Never actually thought about it, but I think it is just one person. And yeah, it is pretty amazing to have so many shots online here... But then, he was around at the dawn of A.net, when criteria were much less strict...

Wietse
Wietse de Graaf

timdegroot

Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:50 am

It's not so difficult to get so many shots on here IMO, you just need a lot of time! (and talent of course  Big grin ). Both to go out and shoot and scan/PS/upload, etc.

Tim
Alderman Exit

wietse

Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:51 am

talent... nah... if we can get stuff accepted here, talent is not needed... Wink/being sarcastic Seriously... talent is involved ofcourse...

Wietse
Wietse de Graaf

clickhappy

Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:24 am

he has some great shots. I wonder what type of equipment he uses for such results?

On a sad note, my daughter pulled the tablecloth off of one of my tables, spilling my 80-400VR onto the floor. Not good  Sad

Dazed767

Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:31 am

AirNikon has been shooting for years and years, I'm sure he has thousands of slides stored in a closet. If you look at his earlier photos, he's been shooting since the 70's.

Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:54 am

Too bad he is not very chatty with some of us locals in the SoCal area.....BTW like your SNA plate Mike or Mickey(AirNikon)

soontobepilot

Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:59 am

Anybody know his name?

Ljungdahl

Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:03 am

I have been thinking about this too, and after some searching of the photos in this database, I might have found a little clue here.

Click for the large version (not medium) of these shots, and read the copyright bar:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bimbo
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bimbo

Just a little guess...  Innocent

Johan (Ljungdahl)

chrisair

Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:06 am

"AirNikon" is a single person, obviously shooting Nikons. His Nikon collection outnumbers me by about 10, (I have 6). He knows his stuff very well, especially military. I also think he fell off his ladder a few years ago at SNA, and I know he is a regular at In n Out and that Brazilian place in LGB, the one that is nothing but meat.

Royal,

The 80-400 is a tough lens though I'd rather have that lens go crash than your 500 f/4.

2912n

Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:16 am

Have you thought of emailing him and asking?  Smile

aa61hvy

Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:19 am

The only reason I dont keep my name a secret on my pictures is because if someone wants to use it, I don't own the rights to AA61hvy.
Go big or go home

AirNikon

The Bimbo Pics

Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:19 am

Not even close Johan. Many years ago I was given a rather extensive collection of slides shot in the UK (and Western Europe) by a photographer that was looking for a good home for them.

Back then (before copyright rules were stringently enforced) I uploaded them as 'AirNikon Collection', because I personally did not shoot them. Later on, the original photographer asked me if they could be listed genuinely. I had no problem with that, and the photographer's name was ammended.

Unfortunately (now), unless the photos are reuploaded, the original copyright bar remains. Nothing can be done about that.

I hope that explains the situation...
Don't get married, don't have kids, and you will have more money than you know what to do with...

Invader
Crew

Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:41 am

For your info: Sarah Ward ("Bimbo"), mentioned above by Ljungdahl, has an interesting Airline History site at http://airlines.afriqonline.com/ where several A.net photographers also have photos (like me).

Peter Vercruijsse

soontobepilot

Oh, And Are There Two Johans?

Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:07 am

And as we are on an identity-quest, are there two Johans using this site? I know that one is the founder, but are there two different Johans?

-soontobepilot

2912n

Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:13 am

This Johan , Johan Ljungdahl, is just a photographer with some great photos here. He is no relation to the "real" Johan. (There is a thread about this somewhere...)  Smile

lindy field

Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:45 am

AirNikon,

I'd been curious about the Bimbo/Air Nikon connection for a while. Now that that's out in the open, what about the name AirCal737? Were these also someone else's photos or was this an early nickname? Enlarge the photo below to see:

View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

By the way, I love all your old LAX photos. Thanks again for reuploading so many of them.

Alaskaairlines

Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:28 pm

Mike is a Major contributor to this site! Great work!

Tim said it right, its not all that hard to get photos accpeted here, but I can say there are enough rejections which tune up the eye for future uploads!

-Dmitry

Ljungdahl

Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:10 pm

In fact, Johan is a rather common male name in Scandinavia. Here are a few:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Kellerman

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Junemo

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ole Johan Beck

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

Johan (Ljungdahl)  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

round_engine

Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:09 pm

The real story on AirNikon is that he is a recluse millionaire (ala Howard Hughes) who spends his days at airports all over the world and his nights at the local Hooters establishment consuming beer and enjoying the ambiance. See if you can find him in this picture......

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ralph M. Pettersen

Seriously, I've had the pleasure of meeting AirNikon and he's a great photographer who loves taking pictures of airplanes (especially old ones with propellers).
Ralph Pettersen

USAFHummer

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:11 am

*X-Files theme music*

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Dash 80

Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:01 pm

Man, that guy has been everywhere! I'd like to have his job Smile
...where the rubber hits the runway...

rindt

Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:15 am

What I find intersesting is that all of the screeners, with the exception of Chris Coduto, don't even know AirNikon's real name... it's been a mystery for quite some time. And it's not that I get off on having to know everyone's real name, but hiding behind a 'username' your whole life ain't cool with me either.

No doubt he's a great photographer, but isn't this a little silly?  Yeah sure

-Rob

What other people think of you is none of your business!

Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:58 am

What's silly about a little mystery?

ADG

Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:29 pm

And AirNikon could also be called "RailNikon"

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=4845

lindy field

Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:36 pm

I have found that whenever I've emailed him he has replied with a friendly manner and signed off with his first name--which a couple of people in this thread have already made public. Have a look again if you aren't aware of what it is.

rindt

Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:25 pm

Most people have last names... I guess Mike or Mick doesn't have one. I'm just unaware as to why it has to be a mystery... all the other screeners aren't anonymous - I have nothing to hide.  Confused

-Rob

ckw

Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:42 pm

There's a famous New Yorker cartoon with 2 dogs sitting at the computer. One turns to the other and says "on the Internet, no one knows you're a dog"

The point is that part of Internet culture is the ability to adopt your own persona - this can have negative or positive aspects, but its part of life on the 'net. I give a name freely - but how do you know its my real name? And does it matter?

I could have a dozen reasons for not wanting to divulge my real name - I may be a famous celebrity, a wanted criminal, have a sensitive occupation, have a wife looking for child support - or simply want to create a new identity for this part of my life.

Personally I've always felt that part of 'netiquette should be to respect how individuals chooses to present themselves. I would no more hassle AirNikon for his real name than I would query the identity of someone I was introduced to down the pub - it's just rude!

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:11 pm

Are you inferring that those who choose not to release their names have something to hide?

ADG

mikey

Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:35 pm

Even though I havent met airnikon. I know his real name from another spotter. He has some photos here that has his real name.

Mike
Ex LAX, LGB, SNA aviation photographer

Carlos Borda

Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:03 pm

I'v know "AirNikon" for quite a few years now even before a.net came on the seen... known him from the earlier days of AOL where he used to (he still might) run an AOL aviation photo library. He's also been in print magazines several times, namely WAFN (World Airline Fleet News) under his real name, so I'm kinda surprised to hear that many of you never knew who he was. I'v come to know him as a great guy (a friend) full of lot's of photographic/aviation/military knowledge and eager to give advice to those who ask.
I also know he enjoy a good brew too...  Big grin
Anyhow... over the years that I've known him I'v see that others sometimes misunderstand him and his style.... he's not a snobby-nose-in-the-air-leave-me-alone-I-don't-care-to-know-you kinda guy at all... in reality he's really just a quite private kinda guy who treasures his privacy and space... and as a result mainly likes to shoot alone and not with a crowd. I can respect that... I respect anyone's will to privacy.

~Los

round_engine

Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:33 am

Los,
Well said!!!
Ralph

rindt

Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:27 am

Ckw,

You're right... forgive me for being so rude. It's much better living behind a username for fear people might find out I'm really a serial killer...  Yeah sure Of course I'm only exaggerating, but you catch my drift. I guess it's all about wanting to have some peace of mind... but hey, that's too much to ask for, especially in a forum where everyone's supposed to be like "family" so-to-speak.

'Los,

I'm not accusing AirNikon (herein reffered to as "some guy") as being a bad guy. He shoots with Nikons after all - what's bad about THAT!!?  Big grin

Really guys - I'm not trying to create a big kaffufle, let's just say I've been curious for quite some time, that's all.

Signed,
PANAML1011 - another "some guy"  Smile