sudden

Not Level!(?)

Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:25 pm

To start with I want to write that this is nothing against the photographer. I like the shot, but it made me a little confused, to be honest.

I see topics now and then about shots not beeing level.
Therefore I wonder how this shot passed the screeners?
First I thought it might be an illusion, but it's not.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Antonio Carrasquilla

I'm not an expert on the subject so if I have overseen anything please explain it to me.

Aim for the sky.
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

thomasphoto60

RE: Not Level!(?)

Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:56 pm

You've lost me Sudden. Whats wrong with this pic? It is obvious to me that this photo was taken from the perspectve of the pilot (or someone very close by) as the plane was turning onto it's final approach. If I am missing something please point it out as I am curious what you see that I can not.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

lugonza_2001

Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:01 pm

I also believe the picture intends to make us see what the pilot´s perspective is when turning.

sudden

Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:19 pm

What I meen is that, chould not the hills and the forest be level?
As I wrote before, if I misstake myself about the rules I apologize!
When in doubt, flat out!

jwenting

Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:43 pm

According to the rules, if kept to strictly, it might have to be rejected indeed.

I guess the screeners here used their discretion.
In a shot like this, it's all but impossible to determine whether the camera was level with the floor of the flightdeck (which in this case should IMO be the deciding factor and not the horizon). There is no line parallel with the flightdeck floor visible in the shot.
I wish I were flying

timdegroot

Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:01 am

Although I like the shot I understand where this is coming from.
Both the horizon and the cockpit do not seem to be level here, should be tilted until one is level IMO.

Tim
Alderman Exit

JT8D

Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:09 am

While I also think the shot gives an excellent sense of what the pilots sees and should certainly be in the database, I can't help but think back to the numerous pics I've had rejected because of less than 0.5 degree not level horizon.

I think most screeners do their best to be consistent, and in this case they rightly sided with the subject outweighing the minor annoyance some people might have with non level horizons.

GH
Graham Hitchen, KMIA

photopilot

Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:10 am

Highly inconsiderate of the pilot for tilting the horizon. Perhaps he should have kept everything absolutely level by only using rudder and skidding the turn....no ailerons at all. That would have kept everybody here at A.net happy. Of course you risk a spin by skidding the turn, but that is only of small consequence. Must keep the complainers at A.net happy.

Steve

sudden

Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:23 am

I'm not complaining in any way, were just thinking about "photo not level" rejections that have been discussed before.
I have no photos in the database, so I am humble when it comes to the matter of correct or wrong.
I also stated in my starter that I like the photo.
So I would prefer to not have any smart a** replyes.

Best regards.

Aim for the sky.
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

apuneger

Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:35 am

I also understand the complaint, since neither the horizon nor de flightdeck are level. But hey, just look at the shot as it is: I think it's a very nice shot. It certainly isn't bothering me that the picture isn't levelled for the horizon or the flightdeck, not at all.

The only complaint I'd like to give is that this aircraft seems to be quite high, even though I can't distinguish between red and white lights on the PAPI/VASI/whatever it is. Maybe it's just due to the fact that the photographer used a long telezoom lens, I don't know. Still looks like quite high for me...
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

Jofa

Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:21 am

I agree with Sudden here. I tried straightening it up in Photoshop and it looked much better imo. Im not saying this because of the rules here at Anet, but i think the image benefits from being straightened up.

EGGD

Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:14 am

If the cockpit was level it would be ok.

I've had shots even when they are level from my perspective, which I thought was the rule but some screeners reject it if the horizon is not level and some don't....

Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:30 am

You know, I can find nothing in the upload FAQ about being level to the horizon, can someone point it out to me?

ADG

JeffM

Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:51 am

It can be found under the question: How important is the motive of the photo? In the upload FAQ's.

Spend time finding the right light and angle, never shoot from behind a window, the shadow side of an aircraft, always hold the camera straight (in a straight (90 degree) angle to the ground) etc.

I think that is what they refer to as "level".

v/r
Jeff

cicadajet

Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:05 am

All things being more or less equal, the image is supposed to be level if the aircraft is on the ground - and most other times as well. Thats the main rule as I understand it. The admin referenced it in a thread some time back.

There's some text in the corresponding rejection message.

Beyond that the screeners use their discretion.

Nice shot, Antonio.

Tom

sudden

Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:21 pm

Ok,

thanks for your explanations guys.
Again I want to point out that the photo is great, so nothing against the photographer.

That the screeners use their discretion is all ok as I see it. As long as they keep within serten margines.

Have a nice day.

Aim for the sky.
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:57 am

God, I was thinking the same thing the other day. It's a great shot, but there needs to be clarification on this. IMHO, either the panel needs to be level (to show the bank angle thru the window) or the horizon needs to be level (to show the bank angle of the aircraft).

Brian - SPOT THIS!

Examples Of What I Mean...

Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:50 am

View Large View Medium

Photo © Robert Jones

or

View Large View Medium

Photo © Brian Stevenson - SPOT THIS!

Wouldn't anything else be "not level"?

Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:22 am

Spend time finding the right light and angle, never shoot from behind a window, the shadow side of an aircraft, always hold the camera straight (in a straight (90 degree) angle to the ground) etc.

Thanks Jeff. But how exactly does that apply when you are not on the ground? The FAQ doesn't cover that.

ADG

JeffM

Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:32 am

ADG,

Your welcome, but you do raise a good question about how to apply that guidance to your photo when not on the ground.

I've seen examples of both keeping the horizon level, and or the glare shield being level in the frame. I guess it depends on the picture.

Jeff

skymaster

Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:43 am

I do not dare thinking if could not admire the following photo for the "not level" reason! The photographer also broke the "not-behind-rule".

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mariusz Adamski

PLEASE NOTE THIS PICTURE IS A EDITORS CHOICE!!!!

skymaster

Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:51 am

Sorry, I did not check my letter. I mean the photographer broke the "not-behind-glass-rule".

One hell of a picture, I think. Why was it not me behind that camera?