Bronko
Topic Author

My First Upload Rejected, Looking For Some Tips

Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:29 pm

I uploaded the two Cessna Citation Five pictures on this webpage today. <http://www.blarg.net/~bronko/aviation.htm>

The head on was rejected for distance, which I can understand. I should be getting a teleconverter soon, so that should help. The jury is still out on the second one. Anyway, what do you think? What could I have done to improve these shots?

Both were taken with a Sony F717 looking through the fence in "auto-mode", and were close to full optical (5X) zoom. Sharpened and auto adjusted in PS7.

Just looking for any general advice, thank you.
Jet City Aviation Photography

2912n

RE: My First Upload Rejected, Looking For Some Tips

Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:26 pm

Try cropping tighter, cut out all the extraneous trees etc.

In the head on shot the fence and the white lines on the runway distract from the airplane.

The A-6 has too much junk around it. A tough one to shoot (Museum of Flight is it not?)

The ideal would be to be as close to the Citation as you are to the A-6. Difficult I know but that distance is what kills these shots.

My 2 cents...

Tony

jhooper

Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:36 pm

I probably uploaded at least 100 pics before I finally got one accecpted. Keep working!
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

luchtzak

Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:59 pm

Bronko,

if you are looking for some tips, check out

http://www.luchtzak.be/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=133

greetings,

luchtzak

[Edited 2003-02-11 12:02:10]

ckw

Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:41 pm

I think the side-on of the Citation is suffering from overexposure - look at the tail, esp. near the engine ... there is no detail at all, just white. I think this has resulted in a "blooming" effect which has rendered the reg on the tail blurry. You may have to make some exposure compenstation when shooting bright white subjects in full sun.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Bronko
Topic Author

Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:34 am

Thanks for the advice, exactly what I was looking for. I don't plan on uploading the A6, I just wanted something with more color in it.

I know it will take a while to get one accepted, and that is not what I am truly interested in... yet. I am a total newb when it comes to photography, so I am interested in the basics of digital photography, applied to aviation. If anyone knows of any good articles or general advice sites, (like dpreview.com), please let me know.

Thanks again.

2912n

Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:31 am

Bronko--

Check out this link. Good article.

<http://warbirdaeropress.com/>

Tony

Bronko
Topic Author

Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:41 am

Thanks Tony, that article has some good advice. Here is a direct link to the article if anyone else is interested.

<http://warbirdaeropress.com/articles/PhotoStory/Aircraft%20Photography.htm>

VapourTrails

Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:01 pm

Jhooper, that's comforting news! I uploaded two photos [yes my first ever] and I thought they were pretty good ones  Innocent but of course they were rejected.  Crying I need to improve the quality before re-uploading them. Has anyone ever had their very first photo(s) accepted by the way?? I don't have anywhere to upload them to view on this forum at the moment. I'll be working on getting my first A.net photo at a later stage when I have more time.
-VapourTrails =