ckw

The Future Of Digital Photography?

Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:19 pm

Check out the new Olympus 4/3 system

Perhaps instead of choosing from the latest "bastardised" 35mm systems, it might be worth waiting to see where this one goes ... the potential benefits are promising - the prototype outfit probably has everything an aviation photographer could need. I guess success will depend on whether or not any of the other big names buy into the new standard mount.

It does occur to me that perhaps this is why Nikon have been quiet as of late on the DSLR front - perhaps they have abandoned what they see to be a short lived market and are planning to go for this new format in a big way. Is the fact they are already producing "digital" lenses a clue? Is Canon going to be left by the wayside with a dinosaur technology?

Interesting times.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Skymonster

RE: The Future Of Digital Photography?

Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:41 pm

It strikes me that Olympus are taking a big gamble here. Over the last few years, they have largely been side-lined by the likes of Canon and Nikon, and I suspect that this will be make or break for them at the professional end of the market. One of the advantages of the current digital systems (conveniently glossed over by Olympus) is that photographers can shoot both film and digital with the same lens system, which seems unlikely with this new system. The key to this will be whether the technology and solution are good enough to persuade photographers to make a step-change to a totally new system, and if they wish or need to shoot both, to carry ansiliary equipment for both. I think that it will be a slow process.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

ckw

RE: The Future Of Digital Photography?

Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:22 pm

I think Kodak are partners in this ... and Kodak are partners with Nikon ... so there could be a lot of weight behind this. But yes, a new format is a huge gamble. Not so sure how critical the film issue is. Arguably, if this is aimed at the pro market, pros would keep the existing kit for when film is required.

The question is, how important is film now? Medium format, yes, but given a good enough sensor, can digital replace film for pros? The ability to cut your lens weight in half is a nice plus, but this alone couldn't do it for the Pentax 110 SLR.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel