Sepang
Topic Author

How Do You Maintain & Store Your Equipments

Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:39 pm

Any advises or sharing on how to care and store a camera (body), lens and slide scanner.

Waiting to hear

Sepang

photopilot

RE: How Do You Maintain & Store Your Equipments

Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:52 pm

My cameras and lenses are stored in a Lowepro bag most of the time, but I also use Pelican hard cases for domestic travel. The only exception to this is the Nikkor 300mm f:2.8 which comes with its own hard aluminum case.

However when travelling in foreign countries (third world) I also use a low visual profile backpack (with foam inserts to divide the sections) to keep my stuff in. I look like just another tourist with a day pack which is far less obvious than carrying a big fancy camera bag. I also have a small belly pouch that will hold a few rolls of film and one extra lens. So often I travel with one lens on the body an one in the belly pouch.

Basically, whatever works and protects the equipment and is also relevant to the particular situation where I am shooting.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Alaskaairlines

Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:20 pm

Nice Tamrac Spuer Pro 14 bag - but I am probably going to get something smaller for the ramp!

-Dmitry

Thom@s

Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:24 pm

Put it on a shelf. Works for me.  Big grin

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

sudden

Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:29 pm

Hm....

Thom@s,

do you bring the shelf when you go to the airport as well? Big grin

Aim for the sky.
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

Thom@s

Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:35 pm

Ah, I thought the question was "where do you keep your equipment when you don't use it".  Smile

Just to clarify; I normally leave the shelf at home when I go spotting. The camera around my neck and a spare lens in a small plastic bag normally does the trick.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Sepang
Topic Author

Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:42 am

Thomas,

You're right, I want to know is how do you keep your equipment to prevent fungus inside the glass elements.

Sepang

CcrlR

Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:23 pm

I keep my stuff in a camera bag so when I go down there I don't have to find it, I just get it and go! I may get one of those Tarmac Super Pro backpacks. Do any of you all use those photographer vests?
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

L-188

Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:43 pm

I have a barrisers bookcase.

It is kind of like a bookshelf with glass doors.

Both of cameras where all made prior to 1973 so they make interesting conversational items.

I have a Domke waistpack for when I hit the road.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Thom@s

Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:02 am

That's what i thought. See Staffan?  Smile

Thom@s

Thom@s

Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:07 am

Sorry, fingers are working faser than the mind at the moment. Didn't intend to mix you up with Staffan, Sudden. Sorry. Big grin

Thom@s

ckw

Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:24 am

In answer to the original question, fungus growth requires professional cleaning - prevention requires the removal of at least one of the fungus's requirements - warmth & high humidity. Since refrigerated storage is probably impractical, you need to address the humidity - large packs of silica gel can be purchased quite cheaply and kept in the camera bag, cabinets etc. They do need to be dried out periodically to remain effective.

In the UK we tend not to have severe environment problems, so my storage is based on convenience and comfort. Currently I use a fairly basic Tenba backpack, which while not very expensive does the job really well - much better in fact than my previous, very expensive Billington bag.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

photopilot

Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:49 am

Hi Carl: (CcrlR)

Do any of you all use those photographer vests?

Yes, I have several of them in various weights and pocket configurations. The ones I wear at home (Canada) carry the most equipment, but I also have one that I wear in the tropics while travelling that is much lighter, but has the advantage of inside security pockets for stuff like wallet/passport etc.

One thing I have done is to sew some D rings onto the vests to which I hook the strap of my light meter. It has saved me a dropped meter on more than one occasion.

Oh, and they are NOT those cheap silly fisherman's vests. You have to shop around the travel and outdoor adventure shops to find some good stuff. Also some camera shops sell reasonable ones.

Hope this helps.

Steve

jfktowerfan
Crew

Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:15 am

I use the Tamrac Zoom Traveler 6 and it is awesome one of the best purchases I have ever made! Everything has a place nothing is rolling around or banging in to something else in the bag. Its pretty big but it is very easy to carry and travel with. My scanner sits on my desk next to my CPU.

Corey
C'mon Man