AA 777
Topic Author

Some Help With Lenses

Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:29 pm

My Birthday is coming up soon and I have a few questions about lenses...

I am going to get a 24-70mm Lense for sure

Now...

Should I get a 70-200mm or a 100-400mm?

Is the 70-100mm a critical area?

Thanks for the help

AA 777
Matt
CRJ-700 FO

jwenting

RE: Some Help With Lenses

Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:43 pm

Whether 70-100 is a critical area depends on what you intend to do and where.

In my experience at AMS it is not critical but certainly very convenient to be able to shoot in that area without having to change lenses.
In fact, it's so convenient that I'm not getting a 2nd body to be able to have one with a 75-240 and one with an 80-400 lens on it (which would be used mainly at the long end). Those lenses are useless to you as from the lenses you mention I can see you have a Canon  Laugh out loud

If I were you I'd try for a 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma makes a very good one that's also reasonably priced if the Canon is too expensive.
I wish I were flying

2912n

Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:09 pm

If you can afford it go with the 100-400 zoom...Later you can fill in that gap between 70 and 100. With the way most US airports are set up you will want that long focal length. Having said that, get the best lens that you can afford.

Tony

ckw

Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:10 pm

Well the 100-400 is certainly going to give you a lot more scope than the 70-200. Put it this way ... there will be many more occasions when you'll wish you had the extra reach than there will be when you wish you had the missing 30mm at the low end!

But if you're really worried about that missing 30mm, you could consider the Canon 24-85mm which narrows the gap a bit. I'm trialling one at the moment as a possible "walk around" lens, and am pretty pleased with the results. Its not L glass, but it is USM and seems to offer a consistent performance across the range.

Before anyone jumps in and tells me to stick with "L" - size and weight are a critical factor for my use of this lens ... also, I wanted something that worked with the camera's built in flash.

Cheers,

Colin

Colin K. Work, Pixstel