cfalk

Note To Digital Users

Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:22 am

Hi guys,

I was just doing a bit of screening, and had to reject a whole bunch of shots which were clearly digital camera shots, but were pretty poor quality (not only one photographer). I feel rather bad about that.

I just wanted to remind you guys to make sure you set the camera for maximum resolution/file size and minimal compression (or no compression, better yet). I know that limits the number of shots you can take, but believe me, it is pretty painfully obvious who's been trying to save memory space. You can do a better job downsizing (without introducing jaggies, etc) at home.

Also, take some time to play with the custom settings, in particular the white balance and color settings. Standard settings on most cameras seem to have very obvious results in this areas. Getting good custom settings (where blue sky = blue, not puke, for example) may be a pain in the a**, but it's worth it.

I think you'll be more pleased with your work if you do this, and of course A-net will have better pictures.

Cheers,

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

JeffM

RE: Note To Digital Users

Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:31 am

Whew! Not me! (none in the queue).

I have noticed some off color shots that have made it through. Not bad, but easily fixable.

Anyway, good call Charles.

v/r
Jeff

gerardo

Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:27 am

Can't be mine as well:

3929 photos and 644 photographers are currently before you in the queue

Should I smile  Smile/happy/getting dizzy or not  Sad

Anyway, good hint: white balance!! Try a little bit around with that thing. But there is one question: does this also affect pictures saved as RAW files?

Regards
Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

jwenting

Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:09 am

That depends on the camera Gerardo.
Nikon NEF (RAW) is indeed that, RAW CCD output.
Canon (at least most of them) cameras do perform colour "correction" and sometimes sharpening on RAW output (which kinda defeats the purpose) unless you turn it off.
Other brands may too.
I wish I were flying

wietse

Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:22 am

In-camera sharpening is not applied when I shoot raw. One thing that might makes you think that is that when converting, the shot's default convert parameters are the ones with which the shot whas taken, but they are very changable...

Wietse
Wietse de Graaf