2912n
Topic Author

Good Deal On 1gb CF Card

Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:04 pm

PC Mall is offering a SanDisk 1 GB compact flash card for $189.00 (USD) after a $30.00 rebate. Something to look at!!! Check their website for details. My order is in.

Tony

AirNikon

RE: Good Deal On 1gb CF Card

Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:05 pm

You missed the bus. Amazon was selling 1GB SanDisk CFs for $177 last month with free shipping and no tax. I ordered a handful of them...
Don't get married, don't have kids, and you will have more money than you know what to do with...

2912n
Topic Author

Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:32 pm

"You missed the bus"....

The story of my life...wahhhhh wahhhhh!!!!!

mdwalkman

Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:40 am

I strongly recommand you avoid CF cards with huge capacity. Just imagine, once your card is damaged, you will lose 1GB of photos. It happened before on my 512Mb card. It is a real pain! May be you should buy 2*512MB or 4*256MB instead. If one stopped work, you can swap another card, at least you won't lose everything.

Cheers

Raymond
Please excuse my poor English.

brianhames

Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:55 am

Raymond (or anyone who can help me out),
I'm a day or two away from buying a CF card and was planning on buying the Lexar 1gb card. And you mentioned avoiding them. Is that just for the sole reason that it would be lame to lose all those photos? Or do high capacity CF cards have a history of failing? Any input helps. Thanks

Brian

2912n
Topic Author

Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:39 am

Brian-

I think that, with the exception of some early IBM microdirves, they have an excellent reliability factor. I have had my 1gb microdrive for over a year and nary a problem. Just stick with the brand names (Lexar, sandisc, etc...)

Everything has a chance of failure....take care of your equipment and you should have no problems. I think that the solid state cards are even better than the microdirve in that there are no moving parts to break down.

Tony

clickhappy

Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:29 pm

I have been buying and using Crucial (www.crucial.com) CF's, Crucial is made by Micron, and they have been very strong. They offer free 2-day FedEx shipping, 256 cards are $55 and 512's are $115, and they come with a lifetime guarantee.