bigphilnyc

Planes And Women

Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:56 am

How many of you have ever taken a date to the airport, or done some kind of socializing with a member of the opposite sex (or whatever gender you prefer for intimacy) with something pertaining to your love for aviation?

How about you married guys? How do your wives live with your other passion?

I know Art Brett let his wife take pictures with his camera. She even has a pic on anet!!!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Anne Brett
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Anne Brett

(That AA757 pic is AMAZING, btw, Anne)

I've gone on several dates with women to places to (inadvertantly) watch planes. I've even practically forced them to watch video that I've taken and given them a tour on a.net (obviously saved for a later date, not the first one).

Maybe taking a girl out for a drink at a bar (which JUST SO HAPPENS to be in the airport), offering a friendly stroll on the shore (which JUST SO HAPPENS to be across the water from La Guardia), or a picnic at a park (which JUST SO HAPPENS to be under a low approach path). And somehow, I still get laid. lol.

You guys got any stories?
Phil Derner Jr.

clickhappy

RE: Planes And Women

Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:09 am

my g/f is very supportive of my hobby. She works the scanner and binoculars, and doesn't mind long hours in the car chasing some silly subject. She even helps with the travel bills, and has snapped a few shots, although I haven't posted them yet, but I think I will!

siggi757

Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:15 am

LOL  Laugh out loud Funny topic!

I am a very lucky guy.
My girlfriend is a pilot AND she is the manager of the biggest little camerastore in Iceland. She sells Canon, Leica, Hasselblad and everything I might and might not need. When I visit her at work I am like a kid in a candystore and she never has any trouble finding me gifts for Christmas.

If it weren't for her I probably wouldn't know a Canon from a Crapomatic and I sure wouldn't have started photographing airplanes and be posting pictures on Airliners.net.

The only thing I need now is a busier airport.

Best regards,
Siggi Ben

aa61hvy

Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:29 am

I took a date to DFW to spot on our first date. 2 years later she is still with me.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy I take her to DFW all the time. She is really starting to learn a lot of stuff. Like engine types, manufactures, airlines, etc... I am rubbing off  Wink/being sarcastic
Go big or go home

joe pries

Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:30 am

She sells Canon, Leica, Hasselblad
==========
pretty cool that nikon is not sold in Iceland. I need to move there, sounds like my kind of country!

Big grin

clickhappy

Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:33 am

biggest little camerastore in Iceland

That's because in Iceland, just like EVERY country, Nikon is sold at the big, popular stores  Big grin

siggi757

Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:36 am

Clickhappy!

Are you talking about Wal-Mart?

Cheers Big grin

rindt

Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:52 am

"If it weren't for her I probably wouldn't know a Canon from a Crapomatic..."

Psssst - I'm gonna let you in on a little secret - they're both one and the same  Big grin  Smile

As for girls and aviation - great if you can find girls that are at least somewhat interested in the hobby, but to me, there IS a life outside of aviation.

-Rob

What other people think of you is none of your business!

Dazed767

Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:59 am

My girlfriend and I drove down to MIA this past weekend to go spotting (and she wanted to do other things as well). She actually took some decent photos which should make it on here. What really suprised me is she didn't whine at all about standing out there in the heat for so long watching planes.

joe pries

Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:24 am

(and she wanted to do other things as well)
=======
i won't even ask Justin....

Big grin

timdegroot

Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:38 am

I've seen a couple doing "other things" at the runway in a car once Smile

Tim
Alderman Exit

mikephotos

Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:45 am

I've seen a couple doing "other things" at the runway in a car once

Did you shoot it on slides or digital  Smile

Michael
Happily married to my airliner-friendly wife going on 7 years now Big grin

timdegroot

Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:48 am

I wouldn't waste precious film on it, not the most attractive people, and that's an understatement Big grin

Tim
Alderman Exit

Bruce

Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:06 am

he was just practicing touch-and-go's.

DOH!!  Big grin

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

737doctor

Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:27 am

I proposed to my wife at Founder's Plaza at DFW. We had been there before on dates and considered it to be "our special spot". One night I told her we should drive up there to watch the planes. We got there and watched the planes for awhile as I waited for the right moment to "pop the question". I could hardly keep still. Finally the time felt right, so I dropped to one knee and asked her to marry me. She said yes and, as I slipped the engagement band on her finger, was I ever relieved! She could tell that something was up because I was so nervous.

Almost two years later and things are just as great as ever. She supports my hobby 100% and even let me use a bonus she received at work to buy a new camera (I paid her back, of course). She knew before we got married that I love planes, I mean come on, I'm an aircraft mechanic. But the fact that she shows interest in my interests makes me love her all the more.
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

petertenthije

Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:51 am

some kind of socializing with a member of the opposite sex (or whatever gender you prefer for intimacy) with something pertaining to your love for aviation

Would this be the moment to show of my mile-high-club club-card? Big grin
Attamottamotta!

aa61hvy

Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:14 am

Often times, pilots taxiing, have caught me doing "things" with my little lady.  Wink/being sarcastic
Go big or go home

Bruce

Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:21 am

good one, 737doctor!!  Big grin

I think a really cool way to pop the question would be onboard a flight and using the public address system. The whole plane would cheer when she says yes!

Being a mechanic, you could have arranged to do the ceremony actually inside one of your planes. Just think, plenty of seats for the guests! and it gives a whole new meaning to the term "walking down the aisle"! and of course, dont forget the Water Cannon Salute.... LOL

Folks at Southwest would love that - its Thinking Outside The Box!

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

USAFHummer

Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:16 am

Theres a scene in "Bend it like Beckham" that would be a dream for many of us with a significant other...if youve seen the movie you probably know what Im talking about...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

apuneger

Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:25 am

Well, basically my girlfriend thinks I'm pretty crazy paying € 4000 for a camera and lenses and driving every now and then to BRU or AMS and flying to LHR or so. But she also thinks it's kinda cute. Whenever I see an aircraft or somebody talks about aviation, she sees me cheering up and getting all in the mood  Wink/being sarcastic

Oh yeah, did I already mention she's scared of flying and hates it whenever we go on a holiday by plane?

But, still, we're more in love with each other then ever before. LOL

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

Dazed767

Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:20 pm

LOL my bad....I was in a hurry before work and didn't realize what I had posted....that does sound wrong. She wanted to "see the sights of Miami" among other things  Big grin hehehe.

vafi88

Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:40 pm

I've seen a guy get out of his van and take a nice long crap about 150 feet from where I was standing.....I got a picture, but later erased it.

Any other interesting stories?
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

aagold

Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:06 pm

BigPhilNYC,

First let me thank you for starting this thread and to my absolute amazement picking two of Anne's pics to show. Amazing! When I opened the thread and saw them I had to smile. Your starting this thread is giving me an opportunity to tell her how much I love her and thank her for her support and encouragement over the years ... thirty-eight as of about two weeks ago so most of you have a long way to go to catch up with us.

She's been an amazing inspiration to me over the years and has always supported me in most everything I do, particularly my photography. She's an absolutely wonderful partner, except when she's yelling at me and chasing me down the hall with a frying pan in her hand (only kidding of course), and as many of you have observed she's almost always by my side on most of my spotting excursions. If the truth were known I believe she loves it as much as I do. Here in the house she's always yelling to me while I'm upstairs at the PC that some plane of one type or another is going over the house inbound to EWR. That's her only fault ... she can't identify most of the airplanes at a distance. She's got 747's and Concordes down pat though.

Anyhow, BigPhilNYC, thanks for starting this thread and giving me an opportunity to pay a small tribute to her. In my eyes she deserves it. Here's a few pictures of her taken while we were spotting and some pictures that she took with Sam Chui's camera that I have to process and upload for her.

I hope you all have someone as special and supportive in your life as she is in mine.

Art

JeffM

Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:14 pm

Art,
Lucky guy! I've been married for 21 years and no matter how many times I tell my wife what kind of plane (mostly military) we just saw, she never gets it right when I ask!

Anyway, Phil, try the submarine races next time.

v/r
Jeff

dstc47

Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:12 pm

After 28 years my wife can recognise a C130 (well sometimes its a Transall) and a Fokker 50 (it could be a Dash 8 or an ATR) but getting there

bigphilnyc

Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:17 pm

AAGOLD,

You're very welcome. I'm happy to have brought a smile to your face. I have yet to meet you, but according to what people tell me, you and your wife are lucky to have each such nice, sweet people as soulmates. I can only hope my lady (once I find her) will be as supportive towards my passion for planes as your wife is to you.

Phil Derner Jr.

ckw

Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:41 pm

Art - love the contrast of the Grand Cayman and the Manchester shots ... I can just imagine the conversation though "you know the wonderful trip to Grand Cayman? You'll never guess where we're going next ..."  Smile

I can't say my wife has anything more than a "tolerance" for aircraft, but she does support my photography 100% ... she also has a wonderful response to any conversation involving the price of camera equipment "I don't want to know!".

One interesting thing is that as a city councillor, she serves on the airport committee at SOU - basically, she has to interface between locals complaining about noise and the airport managers. She often surprises the airport staff by asking awkward questions about a particular aircraft type - on the other hand, I'm not sure the locals are too impressed when they come round to the house to complain and see the "I love aircraft noise" bumper sticker on the car  Smile

And before anyone asks, yes she is promoting photo access for us photographers!

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

JayDavis

Comments To Bruce

Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:44 am

Bruce,

I did propose to my wife on board a DL flight from DFW to PHX almost 10 years ago. I even had DL personnel help me with the plan. I had gone out to the airport earlier to hatch my plane and had a dozen roses "smuggled" onboard the aircraft. Plus, since we were sitting in first, I had to supply everyone in F class with champagne, so I had to buy about four bottles of champagne for the flight, but it was still cool.

Bad part about it was that I dropped the ring in the seat before I could put it on her hand. Luckily, we found it. The captain was the one who actually made the "special announcement". Everyone on board signed a card wishing us well and we stayed in our seats while everyone deplaned and people came by wishing us well in person. It was cool and we still have the card.

She doesn't care that much about my hobby, but she lets me pursue it !!

Jay

aa61hvy

Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:30 am

2 years with my little lady, and she knows this: "Thats a big plane" "Thats the plane we are taking to Costa Rica, huh? (757)" So she is getting the gyst of it. But you have to start somewhere?
Go big or go home

ExitRow

Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:31 am

My girlfriend wouldn't know a Boeing from a Bombardier.

But she's cute as hell so I don't care...

gocaps16

Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:35 am

I took my girlfriend to Gravelly Point last spring to watch the planes land. She loved it and we had a great time.

Kevin

mirrodie

Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:55 am

Great thread BigPhilNYC.

I took my fiancee spotting a few times. She is pretty supportive and can expect that every vacation may have an aviation component to it.

To date, this weekend we went to an aviation theme bar and she has gotten me these sleek airplane cufflinks as well.

I have taken her spotting a few times. The first time she met an airliners.net member though, she literally fainted. Maybe she though I was the only one? Wink/being sarcastic

The more she meets nice folks though, like the Bretts, the more involved she gets. (thanks Art and Anne!  Big grin)

[Edited 2003-06-17 00:56:59]
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

aa61hvy

Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:29 am

I took my GF to a A.net meeting. There she met JCS17, ATAL1011, Brian Peters (A photog.) and Josh Rawlin (a photog) amongst others. She thought they were all pretty normal guys. But she was bored out of her mind. Next time we meet at DFW, my lady will not be in attendance (Sorry JCS17)
Go big or go home

aagold

Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:57 pm

BigPhilNYC,

I'm sure we'll meet one day while we're out shooting. I thought you were coming one day with one of the guys, but it didn't happen. Maybe next time. Yes, I'm lucky and I know it. Wish everyone had someone like Anne so you could all share your interests to the level we do. Mind you there's a cost. She quickly points out when I screw up what should have been a good picture.

Colin,

You'd might be surprised to know all the places she's dragged me to. Not that I mind since I like traveling. But I travel almost constantly on business, so I leave many of the decisions for vacations to her. But we're divers so islands like GCM we frequently visit (we have a timeshare there). You should see what she wants to do now.

You know about the special fares to ride Concorde one way and fly back on a 744. Well that didn't really hit either of our fancies since we flew the Concorde back in '89 on a round-trip to LHR, you know "been there done that" kind of thing. Well this weekend she saw an ad for a one-way on Concorde and the return on the QE2. Since the QE2 is retiring also this is really a once-in-a-lifetime thing. So I have a feeling this is going to happen and, of course, it will have to be soon.

You guys should have seen her reactions yesterday watching the C5, F-15's and F-18's at the Stewart Air Show. She was like a kid in a candy shop. She loved Fat Albert and really got a kick out of watching the main gear rotate 90 degrees on the C5.

Anyhow, good luck to you all, BigPhilNYC included, who are still searching for your soulmate. They're out there. The job is to find them and know it when you do.

Art

tu154m

Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:12 pm

Well......
My wife actually works at the same airline(DL) and actually knows quite alot about types and routes from her job.(Res/Ops). She likes the 732s the best(call them STUMPY) and has accompanied me on quite a few photography outings. I proposed to her under the Pan Am sign in Key West(the site of their first HQ) and we flew a 747SP on our honeymoon. She has been to Oshkosh, ATL, LHR, LGW, ZRH, DAL, DFW and some smaller ones as well. We are off to Russia in August of this year for MAKS and other aviation related sites. It does make good conversation after a long day at work and you can vent about common things!!! She totally puts up with my hobby and has even picked up my old camera to use around the house and on vacation. I'm really lucky!!!
S
CEOs should swim with cement flippers!

CactusA319

Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:47 am

I've taken a couple of my ex girlfriends to the airport and they were pretty cool about it, although the first one once told me she didn't understand why I spent hours at an airport shooting planes when I could get pictures of her in a bikini instead.

But I digress....

My current gf digs my hobby but doesn't quite get what the big deal is, even though her hobby is tuning up Japanese import cars. She worked briefly for an airline and loves to fly and travel so she puts up with a lot of my goofiness. We've even gone spotting together and shes learned quite a bit about Boeings, Airbuses, Rolls Royce engines, ILS systems, etc...

bigphilnyc

Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:03 pm

My ex knew that when it was raining, that LGA was using an ILS approach. She even said it to me in an email the other day. She learned a lot. I was surprised.  Smile.
Phil Derner Jr.