MIA777

Is My Camera Good Enough?

Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:02 am

I just bought a new digital camera. I have taken some photos with other digital cameras, uploaded them and recieved an unsuprising rejection. I did not care and agreed with the reasoning but I thought I would give it a shot. My new camera is the Olympus C-740 Ultra-Zoom (here are the product specs). I bought it because of its (for me at least) great zoom (10x optical). I plan on using it this summer in Tanzania while living in a small village and safariing for part of the time. However, because I also love aviation, I wanted to use it to take pictures of airplanes and was wondering if it could produce pictures that are quality enough to be accepted here on airliners.net. I know the camera is nothing compared to what you guys use but I am a novice in photography and my budget was not large. Thank you.

MIA777
MIA777

Skymonster

RE: Is My Camera Good Enough?

Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:08 am

MIA,

I know of another photographer who achieves a fairly good acceptance rate here with that same camera... Given the specs, its not the camera but the post-processing that is important. So, as far as airliners is concerned, developing your photoshop skills will be important.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

MIA777

Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:14 am

Thank you very much for the quick response! I am excited to go to MIA tomorrow and try things out. Concerning the post-processing, is there a website I can go to that has a nice, easy to follow tutorial for using Photoshop (like altering the contrast, etc)? Thanks again.

MIA777
MIA777

B777

Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:52 am

MIA777,

That camera is more than enough!! I have seen some photos by a guy who uses that camera and his images looked great. The only bad thing about this camera is it is really hard to nail the action shots and do low light shots but it can be done with some practice.

happy shooting

MIA777

Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:00 am

I used a similar Olympus camera and I took a few action shots. They were rejected so maybe I really do need practice. However I am praying for the weather down here to hold up as I really want to head out to MIA tomorrow to test things out! I hope to get at least one shot uploaded (and accepted  Smile)before I leave for Africa (where I will take pics of airports such as Mt Kilimanjaro to HOPEFULLY add to the db)...maybe a little too ambitious for a novice but oh well..thanks for your help!

MIA777
MIA777

Continental

Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:23 am

YES! It's good enough! I use a C700 which only has 2MP, and I get pics accepted from time to time. As a matter of fact, last September when I got it, I went out to the airport for the first time to shoot aircraft, my first press of the shutter button, my first shot EVER, not knowing what the hell I was doing, got accepted here to a.net. Ironically I flew on that same aircraft yesterday MSP-MDW! Good luck in the future!

co

707CMF

Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:43 pm

Well, I have a C700, and currently more than 200 pics in the db, all of those taken with that camera...

Good choice

Antoine

747 4-ever

Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:50 am

I use the C-740 and I think it works just fine, I'm beginning to learn how to handle it and I'm starting to get sharp pics of fast moving airplanes. To see samples of photos taken wíth the C-740, simply do a search for "C-740" here at A.net!

Regards,
Robert Fall

MIA777

Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:55 am

Mr. Fall-

I did do a search and viewed nearly all of your pictures! It has aroused some enthusiasm in me to get out and shoot! You seem to have a great acceptance level...I need to work on the editing process however...

Thanks, MIA777
MIA777

MIA777

Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:20 am

Well, after shooting a few hundred shots at MIA, going there about 6 times since I got my camera last Sunday, I have two accpeted photos:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ryan Kaskel

- The angle seems off but oh well...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ryan Kaskel

- I knew this one would make it!

I still have a few questions however. How much can haze and the actual weather affect the quality of a picture? A lot were rejected due to bad quality and I was wondering if the crappy weather played a significant role. Also, what are the optimal settings for my camera (for those who have a similar one)...thanks!!!!

An extremely happy MIA777
MIA777

JeffM

Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:28 am

Ryan,
The weather is always a significant player in the outcome of your shots! Optimal settings are best determined by you, the photographer, based on your knowledge of equipment and it's capabilities. What are they? You must put in the time and learn, it is the only way to really understand why your pictures look the way they do.

Good luck,

Jeff

MIA777

Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:34 am

Okay, well there was one thing in particular that I just don't know the meaning of: ISO. It could be a really dumb question, but I am just curious about certain features of my camera. For examply, should it always be in Super High Quality mode or is plain High Quality good enough. I think I really need to pick up a book on the subject. This may sound really dumb but as a novice, all I play around with is the zoom setting and I make the picture 'super high quality.' Everything else is on auto...then I go to photoshop where I have a very standard procedure: Resize and do the autolevels functions. I guess these things come with experience and time...
MIA777

KingWide

Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:56 am

Ryan,

ISO [or ASA] measures the sensitivity of the camera to light. A higher ISO rating simply means that the camera is more sensitive to the light falling on the sensor. This means that for a given aperture setting, the light falling on the sensor has more of an effect on the final image. The net result of turning the ISO rating up is that your shutter speeds can be higher [giving you more chance of avoiding camera shake] and / or your apertures can be smaller [leading to more of the shot from front to back being in focus]. Most lenses perform better at narrower apertures up to about f11 anyway. This comes at a cost though since your cameras sensitivity to electrical noise will increase and you will start to see a noise pattern developing in the images [a bit like the grain on film but actually more like the effect of a television tuned to a dead channel.]The best advice is to keep the ISO rating as low as you can to maximise the ratio of picture to noise and get the best images.

I'd advise always using the highest quality mode you have since you can't put detail back into the image after you've taken the picture  Smile

Anyway, looking at the shots, you seem to be doing something right!

J
Jason Taperell - AirTeamImages

Continental

Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:17 am

Ryan, HOLY CRAP! Those shots are GREAT! The AA one is awesome, with all that heat exhaust. You know what, I say screw my plan to get an overpriced DSLR, when I upgrade, I'm going to a C740 or C750! It'll cost much much much..................................less!

co

MIA777

Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:59 am

Continental-- if you can afford one of those better cameras then go for it!! I was nervous that the camera I bought wouldn't be capable of producing a photo good enough for this site (after seeing all those posts about how only photos taken with professional equipment get accepted). Anyways I don't know if I'm overexcited but it feels great!

Kingwide-- Thank you for that explanation!

MIA777
MIA777

747 4-ever

Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:06 pm

Ryan, Great shots! Just keep experimenting with your camera and your acceptance ratio will rise pretty quickly!
I'm looking forward to see some more shots from MIA  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Robert

Continental

Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:31 am

Yeah, but I'd rather save $1300, and have a nice 4mp C750, I can work with that! I never need more than 10X optical!

co

SQ325

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:26 am

This Cam seems to be good enough after a few tries i got the my first 4 accepted! I love this toy!
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?photographersearch=Bj%F6rn%20Kr%FCger

Sabena332

Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:09 am

Hey Björn,

great work, keep them coming!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!