cfalk

I Broke Down Today - And Bought A 10D!

Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:54 am

I still have to figure out how to work it. That's gonna be rather hard to do as it is my first Digital Camera, and I have to keep it hidden from my wife, who would blow a fuse if she figured out I spent so much money today (yeah, I know - I'm whipped  Wink/being sarcastic).

One thing I am really interested in knowing is if you can download, in some easy to use format, like CSV, the settings for each picture. Right now that is included as comments on the file, but it's not very user friendly. Any advice?

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

ake0404ar

RE: I Broke Down Today - And Bought A 10D!

Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:05 am

Congrats Charles. you did the right thing whatever your wife will say. Just tell her you will save sa lot of much money in film and processing.......have fun with your new toy......Seems that Andrew will be getting some competition at ZRH.

Vasco G.

Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:17 am

Charles nice to see you jumped the gap. I thought you were a very demanding man? Anyway great to see I'm not the only one shooting digital anymore here (and more and more people are considering doing the same as you). Good luck with your 10D.

Tim

Continental

Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:19 am

Nice camera! Just say you won it in a prize drawing.

co

ckw

Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:32 am

If you ignore the Canon software and use Breezebrowser, you'll find it can export camera settings euther as a text file (which I use and link to in my database) or as a CSV.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Bruce

Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:19 am

Use Breezebrowser, and you can set it to generate a .txt file of the complete EXIF data.

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

N178UA

Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:01 pm

BTW, Congrats on hitting 1 million views!! You have many nice Velvia shot!
Sam
For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com

Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:27 pm

I envy you for your new camera Charles! I wish you good luck with this excellent camera. At www.dpreveiw.com you may find some answers to
your questions. They also have some good forums. I'm looking forward
to seeing your digital pictures here soon.

Anders Nilsson

andyhunt
Crew

Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:37 pm

You're going to enjoy it Charles........have fun Big grin

Andrew
Full frame always beats post processing

glennstewart

Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:40 pm

Hi Charles,

Be patient with it.
The Canon 10D can produce some unexpected results at first, but with use and playing with settings you will become happy.

Btw I prefer shooting in 'P' mode too.

Glenn Stewart
Sydney, Australia
Respected users.... If my replies are useful, then by all means...

G-CIVP

Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:45 pm

Well done for getting hold of one! Some retailers in the UK don't have any in stock!

glennstewart

Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:43 am

It was bad in Sydney initially too. The minute the 10D went on sale, some retailers were selling one every 5 minutes. Stock quickly depleted.
We've got a new batch come through and now many have available 10D's.

Apparently it is much better than supply of D60's.

Glenn
Respected users.... If my replies are useful, then by all means...

707CMF

Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:01 am

So... I reckon you won't be needing your old SLR and slide scanner anymore ? I might drop at GVA tomorrow  Wink/being sarcastic

Nahh, sometimes I'm a bit jealous.

Antoine

gerardo

Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:58 am

Charles, does this have anything to do with our last meeting at ZRH?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Big thumbs up

Seriously: Congrats! I'm more than keen to see the difference of your DSLR pictures, compared to your superb Provia and Velvia scans.

BTW: thanks again for letting me use your 100-400mm lens. Now you know, what it will bring you together with the 10D, and I know, what I will ask Santa for next X-mas  Smile/happy/getting dizzy ....

Cheers
Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

cfalk

Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:20 am

Thanks for the comments guys.

Been away for a while, playing with this damned thing (not to mention studying for an International Tax Accounting exam I just got out of - what fun  Yeah sure ). Takes a little getting used to. I have had to come up with a new organization system for my photos, which I still have not resolved completely to my satisfaction. It's also trick getting to grips with new focal length requirements because of the 1.6 multiplier - in certain places where I used to get away with 1 lens now I have to constantly swap. For some good side-on shots, I still want to get a slide, so it's a race to swap bodies (which probably need the same lens as the other body). Not to mention that I don't really want that expensive EOS 1v to be relegated to the Cellar. Digital is not all that rosy! (Then again, with my 100-400mm lens, I now have an effective 640mm lens - cool  Smile/happy/getting dizzy)

That said, I'm making progress. I've taken a few photos in the past few days that I think are pretty cool. The nice thing about Digital is that you are more willing to experiment - machine gun a plane taking off, for example, and see if you get a nice picture or effect - If you don't, just dump the files, they didn't cost you a cent. Not quite the case which you use Velvia!

I suppose I'll upload a few tomorrow, see how people like 'em.

Cheers,

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

elal106

RE: Cfalk

Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:02 am

hey charles,

i just saw your newly added ZRH photos from 7/7/03 on airliners.net. As always, great shots! I must have been right next to you unknowingly on the observation deck when you photographed the aircraft that day!! (i remember those exact planes). Where you the guy with grey hair and glasses? There were a few photographers out that time i remember!! (i was around with a camcorder and a yankees baseball hat!)  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

who knows!!

cheers
elal106

Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:25 am

Where you the guy with grey hair and glasses?
Doesn't sound like Charles unless the 10D has created a lot of worries in a short laps of time  Smile

I have to say Charles' 10D shots are amazing, his lens collection and 10D really do give awsome results.

Cheers,
Tim

Ikarus

Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:29 am

If you ever visit London, let me know so I can mug you and rob you off your camera, OK?  Big grin

Regards

Ikarus
(I just considered placing a GBP 50.00 bid for one in ebay the other day...)