Thom@s
Topic Author

MAN Was It Great!

Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:11 pm

Sorry about the tabloid newspaper-like headline, but MAN truly was great. After my first ever visit at the airport, i was really surprised at how busy and photo friendly the airport is.

Thanks to the help of fellow a.net'ers I had loads of hints on where to get the good shots. I ended up taking pictures from the Airport pub two days in a row. The first day with my olympus digital camera, and the other day I used my good old pentax camera. Sadly, the guys at the photostore made a bit of a mess out of my pics, so I may have to get them done at another place.

Btw, while I was spotting the first day (July 11th) A B747 cargo with grey livery arrived. Does anyone know what airline that might have been?

Once agian thanks to those who helped me gather info on MAN a few months ago. Especially thanks for the tip on the airport pub.  Big thumbs up

I'll be back at MAN as soon as humanly possible, that's for sure...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Lee Collins

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

David_itl

RE: MAN Was It Great!

Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:19 pm

Grey belly = Cathay Pacific (ex Air Hong Kong).

David

EGGD

Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:58 pm

I really like the path that runs parallel to the new runway, you can get some stunning pictures from there...

Thom@s
Topic Author

Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:03 pm

Yup, It must be this one...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui

Thanks for the help.  Smile

Btw, I won't have the chance to scan and upload the pics for a while. I have pictures lying in a pile here waiting to be uploaded, hehe. Just hope it turns out to be worth the wait.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Thom@s
Topic Author

Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:10 pm

Path? Nobody mentioned a path, but like the top picture shows there's obviously good spotting possibilities on the opposite side of the rwy24R approach.

Thom@s

EGGD

Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:39 pm

View Large View Medium

Photo © Airsnaps
View Large View Medium

Photo © T Silgrim

View Large View Medium

Photo © Airsnaps
View Large View Medium

Photo © Simon Willson

View Large View Medium

Photo © Danny Hill
View Large View Medium

Photo © Danny Hill

View Large View Medium

Photo © Airsnaps
View Large View Medium

Photo © Airsnaps

View Large View Medium

Photo © Airsnaps
View Large View Medium

Photo © Airsnaps

View Large View Medium

Photo © Airsnaps
View Large View Medium

Photo © Airsnaps

Its a good spot  Laugh out loud

I never got there last time, I just came out by the threshold to 24L, do you just keep walking down the path?

airsnaps

Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:05 pm

Dan,

Thanks for all the shots included above!

The location is not easy to find (by car) at first and unfortunately is not connected directly to the path from the Rwy 24L threshold spot.

However, once found - it's always worth a visit to! Will certainly show you sometime...

Regards,

Paul.

[Edited 2003-07-28 15:09:44]

EGGD

Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:11 pm

So when I drive underneath both runways and then turn left to the hotel(?) on the roundabout, I can't get to the path from there?

I had a look, there's no other junction on that roundabout is there, do I take the first turning on the right just before the tunnels and follow that road round?

jon01

Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:58 pm

Dan,

You can park at the hotel or the lane next to the hotel car park. Footpath on the tunnel side of the hotel will take you to 24L threshold.

If you cross the main road from the hotel by the roundabout and go up the steps to a footpath it will take you towards 06R and 24L rotate area.

Cheers,

Jon

EGGD

Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:16 pm

Hey thanks for Clearing that up, Jon. The last time I was there I was only aware of the road up to the threshold of 24L, I just stood there and didn't bother walking right down to the end of 6R where all the a/c turn onto the runway. Will have to try the other path next time I am up there!

Cheers

Dan

gkirk

Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:04 am

So who's going to be at MAN on October 10th then to take pics of me going to TFS?  Laugh out loud
Thom@s, enjoy Wideroe and did you go to the Sunderland Airshow?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Airbus_A340

Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:11 am

hkg_clk and I are meeting up with a couple of people from a.net at MAN on the 11th of August for some spotting. If anyone is free, please post!

Airbus_A340
People. They make an airline. www.cathaypacific.com

Thom@s
Topic Author

Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:21 pm

Yup, Widerøe was very nice actually. Got free drinks (which isn't common on too many norwegian airlines) and everything. Went back before the Airshow sadly. I had a wet and grey saturday at NCL. Nothing spectacular, but a few ok pics i recon.

EGGD, do you know what type of lens was used on the shots you posted?

Thom@s

gkirk

Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:41 pm

Thom@s, I take it you got on the DH8-300 and not the DH8-400 which appeared at NCL the other week
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Thom@s
Topic Author

Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:07 pm

That's right. Dash 8-300 both ways. Just happy it wasn't the 100, although it probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

Since I'm joining the Air Force in September for a year, I will miss the Sunderland Airshow next summer aswell. But I hope there is some activity in the North East next September.  Smile

(If not then the train to MAN doesn't take that long anyway...) Big grin

Thom@s

EGGD

Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:09 pm

70-200mm + 1.4x I expect  Big grin

Which is 448mm  Laugh out loud

Craigy

Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:30 am

As far as focal length required from the side of 24L goes,

This shot

View Large View Medium

Photo © Craig Hendley

was about 100mm on a 10D (=160mm)

This shot

View Large View Medium

Photo © Craig Hendley

was using a 70-200 on an EOS30. With the digital crop factor even 70mm is too much for a 332 side-on.

Regards,
Craig.

Thom@s
Topic Author

Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:01 pm

Thanks for letting me know. In my mind there is no doubt that the top example looks better than the other pic. Angle an zoom effect I suppose makes it look more attractive as it isn't a common picture. So, time to invest in a bigger lens...  Smile

Thom@s