Thom@s
Topic Author

Scanners: How Do You Guys Get It So Sharp?

Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:18 pm

There are countless examples of scanned images on a.net with incredible quality, and so sharp you could cut yourself watching them. So the question I keep asking myself is; Why can't I do that? Is it because...

A) I Don't have that kind of skill/knowledge

or

B) Because my scanner simply isn't good enough to do the job?

Is there anyone out there who have some hints of how to get the most out of a print when scanning it onto the PC? The scanner I'm operating on is an AGFA Dualscan T1200, incase anyone happen to have the same. I use Corel Photopaint during the scanning.

It's not that the result is absolute rubbish, it's just that I believe the pics can look better. So, can anyone offer some advice?

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

ckw

RE: Scanners: How Do You Guys Get It So Sharp?

Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:51 pm

I suspect that it is largely due to the fact you are scanning from a print - most of the really sharp scans you are seeing will have been scanned from slide or negative.

It is possible to get good scans from prints, but the quality of the original must be very high, and on gloss paper.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Thom@s
Topic Author

Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:17 pm

Do I need any special equipment to scan negatives?

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

aa61hvy

Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:40 am

Yeah how do you scan negatives?

When I get film back, they give me the sheet with mini pictures of it all.
Go big or go home

cfalk

Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:17 am

To scan negatives (or slides), you need a film scanner, like the one pictured below. The best ones are made by Nikon, Canon and Minolta, and are about the size of a shoebox. Cost depends on quality, but range from $400 to $1600.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Jiggles

Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:06 am

I wondered why the quality of print from slide was so poor from my Epson scanner. I didnt realise there was a scanner specifically for the job.

The Epson Perfection 1250 scanner produces dull out-of-focus images from slides, really disappointing.

Looks like I will have to invest in a slide scanner.

Thom@s
Topic Author

Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:03 pm

So it can't be done with my scanner (see original post)?

Thom@s