BA
Topic Author

Tips In Scanning Kodachrome 64 Slides

Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:03 pm

I was wondering if someone could give me some tips in scanning Kodachrome 64 slides using a Minolta Scan Dual II film scanner.

I have found K64 to be particularly difficult to scan, but with some messing around with the settings, one can get good results.

I can use either the Minolta software of VueScan.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

JayDavis

RE: Tips In Scanning Kodachrome 64 Slides

Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:09 am

You might contact Joe Pries, Carlos Borda and Collin.
I think they are all extremely knowledgeable with K-64.
Don't know what kind of scanners they have, but those names
stick out with me.....

Good luck !!

Jay

andyhunt
Crew

Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:35 am

Tip No.1

Don't scan with K64 Big grin

Tip No.2

Put on flame resitant suit!

Seriously, I would try with Vuescan, it has a setting specifically for K64, which is a well known hard to scan slide film. And before we get all of those "K64 kids" shouting their little mouthes off, it IS a tough film, otherwise Vuescan wouldn't have a special setting for it. Big grin

Andrew
Full frame always beats post processing

Skymonster

Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:24 am

All my slide scans are Kodachrome... Some of them admittedly don't stand up to today's standards as they were uploaded some time ago, but I fully endorse the VueScan recommendation as I could never get a scan I found to be acceptable off K64 from the Minolta software. Having said that, I now have a Nikon scanner and I think Nikonscan does OK on K-64.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

jderden777

Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:57 am

i would also contact Tim DeGroot...his scans that he uploads here of his and his father's slides are flawless and I've actually talked to him a little bit about scanning Kodachrome slides as well....I find them to be really tough to scan, with Fuji film being much easier (but lately after shooting lots of digital I find both hard to scan, i'm getting rusty on my scanning!  Smile)

It's a good possibility that I'll be getting the Scan Dual II or III in the near future, I have the old Scan Dual right now but I've got more than its money's worth out of it, that's for sure...

jonathan d.
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

BO__einG

Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:35 am

those 64's are indeed hard to scan.
Fortunetly the old school HP S20 scanner that I have and that many once had does a good job of working on those slides.

I use vuescan all the time but I was not aware of the special settings for K64. Damm all that time I wasted making my own settings for this slide film. Oh well at least results come out nice.

Thesedays I am scanning Both Provia and Velvia slides and they are more easier to scan.

Ask R.Rindt as well as he too uses the very similar scanner mine (cept its a little more older) to scan all his YVR side on and AVIS shots.  Smile
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

RayPettit

Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:57 am

I use a Nikon Coolsan III and on its own Kodachrome looks awful. So I bought Vuescan and it changed my life, well, not quite but it meant I was able to submit my old shots with confindence.

Once scanned in Vuescan, I crop and level the image and then clean it up in Photoshop 7. To do this, I magnify the image on the 200% setting so I can I identify all the grime (of course, I have used a soft opticians cloth carefully and a blower already). Once cleaned with the cloning tool, I rename file as (say) "G-BNLX_clean.tif". The I shrink it to 1024 across and precede to apply Unsharp Mask using Amount=70, Radius=1, Threshold=0 and then re-save as "G-BNLX_anet.tif", and then again as a jpg file on maximum quality setting 12.

Sometimes, I need to lighten the image and try to make a note of this in the filename in case I need to re-do.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ray Pettit

I don't know if this is perfect as most of my uploads are oldies where the screeners give more tolerance, despite those great shots by Johan and Tim's father Peter. Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Ray

mikephotos

Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:11 am

I would highly recommend Vuescan for doing K64 scans. I use it with my Acer Scanwit 2720s and think the results aren't that bad (nor hard to do) with the $300 scanner.

Here's a recent scan:

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/n803aw_hpa319_jfkmm_jan03.jpg

Mike

BA
Topic Author

Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:45 pm

The problem I'm having with Kodachrome is dark areas are turning out extremely dark and with no details (pitchblack).

That is using VueScan and the Kodachrome setting.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

LH526
Crew

Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:02 am

Hi

I used my last rolls of Kodachrome 25 on my recent trip to Chile, check out these photos, all K25:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mario Freese
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mario Freese

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mario Freese
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mario Freese

They were scanned to TIFF using a Nikon Coolscan 8000 with the special Kodachrome mode, followed by a long post processing in Photoshop on a mac.

Nothing can beat Kodachrome 25 and I'm yet sorry after being forced to switch back to K64 :-(

Mario
LH526
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

Carlos Borda

Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:02 am

I also use Vuescan for my slides and can't complain. Kody is definitely more difficult to scan than Provia. One characteristic of scanning Kody slides will be the magenta (purplish) cast.... just make sure when your in PS that you reduce it in color adjustment. I usually go anywhere between -4 to -10 depending on the severity of the cast. Good luck!

~Los

BA
Topic Author

Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:22 am

Thanks guys, here is my latest Kodachrome 64 scan. Let me know what you all think:

http://users.adelphia.net/~nabilb727/images/sunset.jpg

Regards