mirrodie

Why Such A Popular Photo?

Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:24 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Markus Wechselberger

Anyone care to comment why this photo is particularly catching? I don;t see what they are saying in the remarks field.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

timdegroot

RE: Why Such A Popular Photo?

Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:30 am

Snoop Dogg is pretty dirty Smile

Tim
Alderman Exit

clickhappy

Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:39 am

just another cheap hits photo.

Sad.

EGGD

Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:04 am

I don't think it is,

He's not saying, 'WOW LOOK HOW DIRTY THIS PLANE IS!', I think its ok to comment on whats in the photo, but trying to make them open it by asking them questions (you know, 'can you see all the planes?' 'can you see the bird behind it?' etc).

Because if you look at the floor, there's alot of crap down there, its not exactly what they normally look like when you take cabin shots (if you get on before, and the cabin is all in pristene condition etC).

blablabla!

codeshare

Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:06 am

It's Snoop Dogg and Pharell Williams of N.E.R.D. in the video for "Beautiful" from Snoop's last album.

If only the photos had an audio channel  Big grin

codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

EGGD

Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:17 am

Well I certainly wouldn't open it if that was the case  Big grin

Continental

Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:02 am

just another cheap hits photo.

Sad.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Royal S King

Not an attack against you, but hippocracy man!

co

CPH-R

Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:08 am

Ok, WHAT the heck has happened to the face on the person at the end of the right aisle?

ryangooner

Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:15 am

personally i visit this site to see pictures of aircraft i would not normally be able to see, also i like to see some of the marvelous photographers that have some excellent shots posted on here.

i do not see the amazement in looking at the inside of a cabin.

what if i took a photo of the inside of a bus / coach , how many hits would that generate? same thing in my opinion.

i will be flying soon but i know i wont be taking a photo of the inside of the cabin at 35,000ft just to get pic of the century!!!

how many more of you share my opinion or how many of you disagree?

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

mirage

Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:18 am

LOL, good one Continental Big grin

Luis

cicadajet

Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:51 am

ok, starting now... just to please everyone...  Smile

no blimps,
no helicopters,
no cabins,
no military,
no digital,
no boring ramp,
no Qantas,
no comments,
not too many in one day,
no "home" aircraft at hub airports,
no people,
no towers,
no gate shots,
no fuji,....

Smile

boeingholiday

Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:00 am

Hello everbody Big grin

to get it right: I don't know even myself why this photo is so popular, but I'm happy with it as you can understand - haha.  Wink/being sarcastic

The remark is correct and short. I tell what the aircraft was: dirty.

The pic was made after first eating, but the aircraft was dirty and ugly before the departure.

But nice that *somebody* feels not good when seeing such a photo....
SAD

CPH-R

Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:56 am

Boeingholiday,
could you possibly tell me WHAT happened to the person at the of the right aisle? I can't help but wonder, because I jsut can't make out an face  Insane

wietse

Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:26 am

Dude thats motion blur, not cloning, as you may be suggesting...

Wietse
Wietse de Graaf

clickhappy

Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:00 am

how is that a cheap hit?

Trying hauling your ass up on the roof of your local airport. Maybe we'll get lucky and see you on CNN. Anyone can take an interior picture of an airplane, all you need is a ticket.

Am I over reacting? Maybe, but I'm not going to take shit from a punk who bad mouths the photogs of this site on other sites forums...

serge

Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:17 am

I think the roof of Continental's airport (MSP) is the only way to get shots in the twin cities besides with a ticket and approach shots  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Skymonster

Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:17 am

Not an attack against you, but hippocracy man!

I presume that "hippocracy" is something to do with large animals from Africa that can often be found wallowing in lakes and mud-holes... Big grin

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

serge

Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:24 am

This image may be fitting that description Andy - The best of both worlds!  Big thumbs up  Big grin

http://www.savepacifica.net/images/contents.html
Photo credit savepacifica.net

[disclaimer: I have no idea what the heck pacifica is nor do I care]

[Edited 2003-08-16 00:27:07]

TZ

Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:26 am

Nice one Andy - the most intelligent thing said so far in this debate!!!  Big thumbs up

Tamsin
TZ Aviation - Aeropuerto de los Banditos Team Images

qantas744

Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:30 am

I appreciate what you say Ryan but here's a different perspective. Every airline publishes supposed in flight pictures of the cabin in an effort to persuade people to fly with them and what you see in the pictures is generally quite different from how it is in reality. I've seen BA's material for World Traveller and it looks great, lots of happy people with smiling kids etc but the reality is this:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Will Lanting
View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Hall

I often find myself browsing through the cabin shots section prior to booking a medium-long haul flight.

Matt
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

N178UA

Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:55 am

I gonna agree with Royal that LTU shots seems to be a sort of cheap hits, however we all do it from time to time to boost our rating I guess. The photo put up by Matthew/Qantas744 is very decent cabin shot, thats what I prefer more. However as you know, shots involve with people even just their back draws interest to the large base of viewers here. It is a great way to get hits.(I did it 1-2 times too!)

Tom

I think I live close to your list in some way  Big grin
no blimps, NEVER
no helicopters, NEVER
no cabins, A FEW INTERESTING ONE
no military, ONE ONLY SO FAR, MORE TO COME
no digital, FAILED
no boring ramp, FAILED SOMETIMES
no Qantas, I HAVE FEW ONLY FROM WHERE I LIVE
no comments, FAILED
not too many in one day, OK
no "home" aircraft at hub airports, I DO WELL ON THAT
no people, OK
no towers, OK
no gate shots, NEVER BECAUSE IT IS CLUTTERED
no fuji,.... COMPLETELY FAILED

Final thought: Bring on more just airplane shots!!
Sam
For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com

Continental

Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:11 pm

how is that a cheap hit?

Here, here, let me show you!

Check out the look on the pilots face

Implying that you must click on the photo to see what's going on. Cheap hit.

Trying hauling your ass up on the roof of your local airport.

Naaah, I'm not THAT stupid.

Am I over reacting? Maybe, but I'm not going to take shit from a punk who bad mouths the photogs of this site on other sites forums...

That was months ago buddy, get over it. Yes, you are overreacting.

co

boeingholiday

Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:35 pm

Hello everybody,

why get I accused of "cheap hits" if I just place a picture of a normal cabin here??

Big grin I could also have posted my pic of the engine-vortex, but this one got rejected

Cheers guys!

markus

EGFF

Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:35 pm

"Trying hauling your ass up on the roof of your local airport.

Naaah, I'm not THAT stupid."

You had me fooled then,
Regards
Shaun Big grin
All together or not at all

Sabena 690

Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:12 pm

This is not too Mirrodie but more to Royal...

Aren't some people taking the pictures at a.net too serious?

Is it soo important maybe to have more hits than another, to reach the one million hits status faster than another?

Sigh...

I don't see why the cabin shot goes more about cheap hits, than the DL B763 picture that Continental posted...

Not that I have something against the caption of the DL B763, but the same goes for the LT A330.

N178UA

Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:53 pm

Markus

Didn't have anything to against you at all. But down to personal preference, I prefer a clean cabin shot like Matthew Qantas 744 posted those here. I found because of people in the background in your shot generate interest "other" than strictly airplane or aviation motivated interest, hence my comments of cheap hits. But even I do a few from time to time. My main interest is to see the airplane shot more than cockpit and cabin, but of course your shot will cater other audiences' interest. I guess cheap hit just an expression, looking at the hits no. goes skyhigh and if the picture is not clearly an airplane, like bunch of hooter girls or people smoke around or a curious comment by the photog because is those things generate interest of the viewers rather than the plane itself did.

Sam

boeingholiday

Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:49 pm

Sam, that's what I think too. It's a forced popularity, and I even don't find the shot too good myself. Fact is that people look at it and have fun. If it's a cheap photo or not, I don't mind Big grin

best regards to you all!
markus

clickhappy

Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:08 am

Aren't some people taking the pictures at a.net too serious?

Is it soo important maybe to have more hits than another, to reach the one million hits status faster than another?

Not sure what to make of this comment. I could care less how many views or shots I have here.

Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:43 am

I guess cheap hit just an expression, looking at the hits no. goes skyhigh and if the picture is not clearly an airplane, like bunch of hooter girls or people smoke around or a curious comment by the photog because is those things generate interest of the viewers rather than the plane itself did.

I don't know if that was a hidden dig at me or what Sam.  Big grin

Anyway, just for the record, I feel the same as Royal. I upload the type of photos I want to see. If it gets thousands of hits, then so be it. I could care less either way. For every one Hooters girl photo or SXM shot, I have dozens of simple taxi or parked shots. Hits or not, you won't see any photos of an American MD80 sitting at a gate from me.

I like to share the more uncommon stuff, but the bottom line is I upload for myself. If people enjoy the photo, then it's a bonus.

Brian - SPOT THIS!

Sabena 690

Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:07 am

I could care less how many views or shots I have here.

Sounds a bit untrue to me, once you have reached a status as top photographer (which you are), I highly doubt that you don't care about your shots on this site.

But why do you care so much than about somebody else getting hits, which you describe as cheap hits, because the person writes something in the caption about his shot?

Personally I love to look at cabin shots, certainly the ones showing the seat pitch. I absolutely see no problem why Markus shouldn't have written a comment about the dirty cabin.

ExitRow

Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:40 am

If there's something noteworthy in the image that cannot be seen in the thumbnail, I mention it in the remarks. Otherwise, it will probably be missed. If some want to call it "cheap hits," so be it. I could care less because hits on this site often have absolutely no relation to the quality of the photo. Some shots are popular only because half the population of Asia wants to see the newest First Class section of a wide-body.

I've seen some beautiful, noteworthy images fade into obscurity with less that 1000 hits. The reason is this IS the most popular aviation site on the web and people from all different strokes come here to view our images for different reasons. Some want to see flight decks, some want action shots and some want photos of tray tables. Something for everyone.

I think Abe Lincoln said once that, "You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time. But you can never do both."

The infighting is getting old people. (I myself am guilty.) Our hobby/passion is already getting tougher. Let's not make it any tougher.

William

clickhappy

Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:22 am

sure, I care about the pictures, or I wouldn't post them.

What I don't care about is how many I have, or how popular they are.

Also, Markus and I have chatted about this privately, my comments weren't directed at his shot, but the type of shot. Technically its a fine photo. And if the cabin is dirty then I am glad he has provided a great shot of it.

The term cheap hit isn't necessarily a negative one, so I am not sure why so many of you have your panties in a wad.

In my opinion (and I know I share the same view of many of the 'serious' shooters here) I get a lot more satisfaction out of nailing a perfect side-on view of a World MD-11, which won't be a popular photo on this website, then I would if next time I fly first class long haul I take a close up of my PTV unit, which would probably be a 5k+ view photo.

Have a great day.

wietse

Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:49 am

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/153_5350.jpg

So this would constitute a breach of the "cheap hits" rule?  Wink/being sarcastic(I didnt make a comment about the captain or any of the passengers visible)

Wietse
Wietse de Graaf

timdegroot

Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:25 am

No, but this one does Big grin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Wietse de Graaf

Just teasing Smile I do it too sometimes

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tim de Groot

The ones that really bother me though, is when people just make up stuff, like look at the captain doing this or that, when in fact you can't see him doing anything.......

Tim
Alderman Exit

mirage

Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:29 am

Should I have wrote on this one something like "Check out the sun behind the ATC tower"?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Luis Rosa

I have a feeling it's not clearly noticed on the thumbnail and when seen between hundreds of other photos.

Luis

N178UA

Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:25 am

Brian/Sabena690

Not direct saying at you, just using Hooter girls as an example. I have cheap hits in the data base too, although some I would argue it is rare, such as a Lima Peru descend photo.

William Anthony said it right "I've seen some beautiful, noteworthy images fade into obscurity with less that 1000 hits." I feel for those shots, like a caviar DC4 from South Africa, should almost get 3000 hits, but often failed. Those are the real beautiful airplane I care for. Hooter girls are a nice change, and viewer will get carried away by their curiosity. But I prefer a real airplane shot.

Again, at the end, absolutely nothing wrong with those I so called "cheap hits" Nor do I care about how many hits you get. Because I know is the object making hits, not the photographer really. If I shoot those SXM or dirty cabin shots, it will be same hits as well. But I really feel for those perfect side on shot get less than 1000, yet other interior, window get easily above it. I guess is just people curious about those shots.

Sam

EGGD

Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:58 am

Luis - That shot is stunning...

cicadajet

Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:16 am

Yes, Luis...another gem.

I would have missed it; you're right, easy to lose in the thumbnail.

Tom

bigphilnyc

Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:18 am

I dont believe when many of you say that you dont care about hits.

When some of you folks are at the professional level and make money from your pics, views are what gets you sales. Websites wil often pay marketing firms by the CLICK (view) to the webpag fomr ads, and if you guys are good businessmen, you'd be jsut as hopeful of such exposure.

I mena, maybe you don't take it TOO seriously, but who can't look at one of their pics and say "Hey, wow, lots of views," or "Hey, look, top pic of yesterday," and get a big smile on your face and feel proud of your accomplishment.

If you DONT care AT ALL about views, only THEN do I think there is something wrong with you. :-p

You guys here have lots of talent, ad I see NOTHING in this thread to get upset, angry or anything over. Let's jsut relax and have fun and take pics of planes. Le'ts worry about getting detained by cops and how we are going to get our next great shot. Life's too short to let this escalate.

Don't sacrifice the respect you have from so many of us that you got over time by making amazing photographs because of some little irrelevant comment on a message board.

Regards

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

ExitRow

Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:43 pm

Luis,
Your sunset shot is a perfect example of what I am talking about. I might have missed that judging only from the thumbnail.

Regards,

William

[Edited 2003-08-17 06:43:53]

clickhappy

Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:49 am

When some of you folks are at the professional level and make money from your pics, views are what gets you sales. Websites wil often pay marketing firms by the CLICK (view) to the webpag fomr ads, and if you guys are good businessmen, you'd be jsut as hopeful of such exposure.

huh? Johan makes the money on the views, not the photog.

Views aren't what get you sales. Good quality shots of interesting subjects are what generate sales.

Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:58 am

Views aren't what get you sales. Good quality shots of interesting subjects are what generate sales.

Agreed 100%. I haven't made jack on any of my most popular photos. When I get an offer, it's usually for some obscure, lesser known photo.

Brian - SPOT THIS!

bigphilnyc

Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:50 am

Valid, but exposure is so important as well, isn't it? You can have the greatest stuff in the world, and if no one looks, then it doesn't mean as much I would think.

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

ExitRow

Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:11 am

Phil,
Of course exposure is nice. I just don't judge myself as a photographer based on hits. (For reasons I described above.)

I like having my shots here because it opens doors. I think if you want to "get rich" taking pictures of airplanes... it's going to be assignment work. And the only way someone will trust you with their project or big budget, is to prove it to them with a strong body of work. And that's what I hope to do here, whether my shots are popular or not. The first thing an art director or photo editor is going to do is click on your name to see if that good shot was a fluke, or if you do it consistently. That's where you show your skills.

Hits are nice, but certainly not everything.

Just my thoughts,

William

bigphilnyc

Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:44 am

I'm not saiyng it's all about views. Of course it isn't. I think you folks are overegaxerrating my point, and i'm jsut too tired to elaborate furhter, so I'll spare you a deeper explanation. lol

But since no one cares about views, then I guess it's not big deal if we all shamlessly plug our pics and adjust the remarks to attract unwarranted attention, right?  Big grin lol

-Phil

Phil Derner Jr.