Topic Author

Big Copyright Infringement - Need Help.

Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:00 am

Just recieved this email:

Dear Mr. Cederholm,
this to ask you an advice to make a poster of your photo of flight Air France
F-BPVY in St. Marteen - Princess Juliana Airport (side wiew, landing just over
the beach).

I know that you can not approve this, but I have not intention to use this photo for commercial purposes. I'm only a young passionate of planes and I was really impressed when I saw this photo on an Italian scientific magazine (its name is "Focus").

Then it dawns on me....I never gave permission to ANY magazine. If the guy who emailed me could send me a copy of the mag then maybe I can see exactly how it was used etc. How much compensation seems reasonable? Also, are they a big magazine (as in popular I guess)? Thanks for any help.

Justin

I can't find their website...does anybody know it?

[Edited 2003-09-10 23:14:46]

TS

RE: Big Copyright Infringement - Need Help.

Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:52 am

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

lennymuir

Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:55 am

http://www.focus.it/home.asp

Maybe the guy is confusing your shot with other 'similar' ones?

Good luck...

Edit: 120 seconds too late...

[Edited 2003-09-10 23:56:27]

Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:32 am

Illegal usage seems frequent these days,

I've been having some problems myself with Airline Review who have used some of my pictures illegally. I guess it has become fashionable to steal people's work.

I for one have decided to charge a fee varying between $400 and $1000 for anyone I catch using my pictures without authorization, I think that should calm down anyone trying to defy copyright laws.

Tim

codeshare

Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:55 am

FOCUS is well a well known nature/science etc. magazine in Europe. It has many editions: Italy, Poland, Germany, Czech Rep. others too.
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

Dazed767
Topic Author

Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:01 am

I'm trying to get a copy of this magazine that supposedly has my photo in it. I emailed him again to make sure that it was 100% without a doubt my photo.

Justin

Dazed767
Topic Author

Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:14 am

I want to contact them.....which one should I email it to?

Contattaci

redazione@focus.it
Per scrivere alla redazione di Focus.it, protestare e dare suggerimenti.
Attenzione, non inviare a quest'indirizzo i tuoi contributi (lettere, scritti, foto, filmati etc) e le tue proposte di Focus file, ma vai direttamente alla community. Iscriviti (è gratis) e invia da lì i tuoi "articoli", foto e contributi vari. È la strada giusta per pubblicarli.

assistenza@focus.it
Segnala a quest'indirizzo eventuali disservizi tecnici, malfunzionamenti e difficoltà di navigazione nel sito e nella community. Proveremo a risolverli.

abusi@focus.it
Qualcuno non rispetta le regole e l'etichetta (netiquette) della community? Segnalaci gli abusi.

servizioabbonamenti@mondadori.it
Per richieste, informazioni e proteste relative agli abbonamenti a Focus cartaceo.

clickhappy

Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:30 pm

I wonder if they have a US distributor?

UTA_flyinghigh

Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:25 pm

If you need a Italian translation or need to write a letter in Italian I can help you out  Smile
Will (che ha vissuto due anni e mezzo in Italia - FORZA PERUGIA !!!)
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

lennymuir

Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:17 am

Try redazione@focus.it
also try fotoredazione@focus.it (Photoeditor)

Gerry

Airdolomiti

Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:51 am

From what I remember, in issue # 119 (September 2002) there was an article with a series of 'incredible' photos, and one of them was a plane landing at St.Marteen. I'm sure the same picture is on airliners.net but I can't remember right now which one it was.
Some readers wrote to the magazine because they thought it was a fake, until they finally established that it *is* real. Duh!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy I found this contribution by a reader on the subject: http://www.focus.it/community/contr.asp?ID=317 . I can see a couple of a.net pics there (though they are just for reference).

I have most issues of this magazine but right now I can't find the one with that article, I'm sure I have it somewhere, but I'll have another look tomorrow morning.

Hope this helps...
Federico

Dazed767
Topic Author

Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:05 am

Yeah those are airliners.net photos....with no copyright mark on the bottom (which is still wrong).

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Justin Cederholm

This is the photo in question, if you see it in there, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know.

Justin