MIA777

Advice For Shooting In A Hangar

Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:00 am

I am going to have access to a Biman Bangladesh A310 that was just painted in the new livery at MIA. I am not sure if the plane will be in the hangar or out but if it is, any advice (i need to learn!)? I have never shot a plane indoors and have never been in a hangar (don't know how well they are lit though I would imagine pretty well). Interior shots advice as well? Thank you! This is all greatly appreciated!
MIA777

2912n

RE: Advice For Shooting In A Hangar

Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:36 am

Get a tripod and play with your settings in order to shoot indoors. Such a big target will mean flash won't work so you will want to do a time exposure of several seconds (all depending on the lighting.)

work4bmi

Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:27 am

The MOST IMPORTANT rule of all is to ask if there are ANY exposed engines and/or open fuel lines in the hanger. One flash of your camera could blow up the whole freaking building!

Aaron  Smile
Fly Around The World : Above & Beyond

JoakimE

Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:34 am

The MOST IMPORTANT rule of all is to ask if there are ANY exposed engines and/or open fuel lines in the hanger. One flash of your camera could blow up the whole freaking building!

Well, at least the entire aircraft would be well lit up then, so no need for a tripod or long exposures  Innocent  Big thumbs up

2912n

Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:36 am

If a sealed camera flash can set off an explosion.....The environment inside the hanger would have to be so dangerous you probably could not survive in there long enough to set up a camera!  Smile

work4bmi

Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:18 am

"If a sealed camera flash can set off an explosion.....The environment inside the hanger would have to be so dangerous you probably could not survive in there long enough to set up a camera!"

funny, but I would not recomend using flash!
Fly Around The World : Above & Beyond

G-CIVP

Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:10 am

I think some fire detection systems are set to pick up 'flashes' as in explosions, so ask before you shoot as your flash may inadvertunately set the fire alarm system off. Don't know how true this is but better ask before you commence.

Thom@s

Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:34 pm

Open doors which allow daylight to enter the hangar is always nice.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Thomas Andre Hjelmen
View Large View Medium

With smaller aircrafts you might be lucky enough to have it rolled out into the sunshine if the hagar is too dark....

View Large View Medium

....but that might be tricky if you are dealing with an A310.

Good luck anyway.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"