Fly-K
Topic Author

Rampshooter In The Way = Badmotiv?

Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:19 am

Some of you might remember the discussion on rampshooters getting in the way... and I've relaxed ever since. But what I don't find fair on behalf of the screeners is that a photo where a rampshooter is in the way is badmotiv - this punishes me twice!
What do you think? Some of you even said that this adds interest to the photo
(By the way, this is the same "friend" as on the other photo).
Before this discussions gets too heated again, I just want to say that it's not a major issue for me, but I am wondering...
http://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=OA_734_SXBKD_Olympics6.JPG

And speaking about badmotiv, what's badmotiv about a pilot eating breakfast in his office, or studying approach charts?
Sometime I really wish the screeners would provide some more detail on the rejection reason, even if it's just one word:
http://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=cockpit_breakfast.jpg
http://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=cockpit_approachchartstudy.jpg

And a final one which I find a rare shot with a rather interesting motiv:
http://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=E170_PPXJA_cabin2.jpg

Thanks for any feedback!
Konstantin
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

Skymonster

RE: Rampshooter In The Way = Badmotiv?

Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:26 am

K,

Didn't screen your pics but here's my opinions:

Ramp shooter shot - just clone out the truck and have done with it... Ooops!
Breakfast shot - badmotiv for glare, not the food, as far as I'm concerned
Chart shot - just thing that the head in the way makes the picture ugly
Emb170 - I'd have thought carefully about badscan, but anyway shame about that hand (better timing required next time)

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

9A-CRO
Crew

Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:29 am

Olympic rejection puzzles me as well, especially since ramp shooter doesn't obscure the aircraft itself and it does make photo stand out of other ramp shots

and emb 170 photo seems interesting to me
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward...

Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:29 am

IMO, none of them is really badmotiv....  Smile

Fly-K
Topic Author

Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:45 am

Thanks for the tips, Andy, but now after everyone's seeing it, cloning is no longer an option, methinks...  Big grin
This pilot (a lady) was rather resolute, if she hears you saying something like her head in the way is ugly, uh-oh...
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

codeshare

Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:57 am

...Andy better watch out on LH flights  Big grin

As usual your pics are great.

The Olympic looks interesting - a new category Spot the Spotters should be added  Big grin.
The breakfast is fine (was it tasteful?), maybe darken it a little bit?
The chartstudy is a tough one, I don't know what to say about it.
The 170 - the hand is a bit in the way, but maybe badscan - I can see effects of sharpening/little grain.
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

Skymonster

Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:14 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ben Pritchard

Hey ho! Big grin

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

Joge

Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:57 pm

The first and second pic look good to me. Like mentioned here, the guy with the van is not blocking the plane on the first photo. The breakfast is not the main subject on the second picture anyway, I don't understand why it can't be accepted...

But I agree that the the head and the hand on the rest of the pics are a bit disturbing.

Konstantin, why didn't you take a pic of the Embraer cabin without the person on the left pointing his hand up?  Smile

-Joge
Bula!

cicadajet

Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:17 pm

I'd say the 1st one, Olympic, seems a bit harsh...

-Tom

N178UA

Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:55 pm

The 2nd and 3rd and 4th photo seems very cluttered with hands, heads, breakfast...and no window view due to strong lighting...I got those shots too but won't upload coz in my personal opinion, they are not so clean and badmotiv indeed. (sorry K-man, that just my personal opinion and likes/dislikes) The EMb170 , RARE flying shot, but I always prefer a clean cabin shot with empty seats.

The 1st one is a pity, light is great! I look forward to see some slides of that in FRA  Big grin

I don't generally comment on this type of things but your post title trigger my interest!
Sam

For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com

gerardo

Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:25 am

RE - cloning out the rampshooter: Having had rather harsh comments in the past, because of cloning out things waaaaay behind in the background, I wonder, how a team member could suggest to clone out the spotter. Add to that, that - in my opinion - the ramp shooter adds a lot to the situation frozen down in this picture.

The cockpit shots - while beeing of good quality (as usual Wink/being sarcastic) - doesn't seem very interesting to me, sorry to say so. The first one has a disturbing overexposed sky in my opinion. The 2nd one shows more pilots (or part of them) than cockpit. The cabin shot looks interesting though.

Cheers
Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

joe pries

Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:35 am

I would agree that the olympic rejection is harsh indeed. If K was on the ground and the van was blocking the airplane, yes, but the van is absolutley no factor. Appeal it K. On the cockpit shots- K, with the 10D, you simply must get a hyper wide angle lens- be it the 15mm 2.8 which I used to have, the 16-35 2.8 which i have now or the Sigma 14mm that Colin says is good- but a 28mm is not gonna cut it with the 1.6 multiplication for dramatic cockpit shots.

Joe ATR Team

Sabena 690

Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:39 am

Sorry but I find the suggestion of Andy to clone out the van really not on it's place over here... And certainly not from a screener.

Just my 2 cents.

Frederic

JeffM

Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:05 am

What van...?

Just my 2 cents. And not very harsh, it is after all....his picture.

~Jeff

Fly-K
Topic Author

Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:40 am

Thanks once more for the useful feedback.
I realize 24mm on a 10D is not enough angle, I might have to think of some investment here...
On the E170, since it was a demo flight, everyone was running up and down the aisles like crazy, it was impossible to get a clear shot.

Konstantin

Skymonster

Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:49 am

Sorry but I find the suggestion of Andy to clone out the van really not on it's place over here... And certainly not from a screener.

Obviously the sort of sense of humour I was using in my comment doesn't exist in Belgium  Insane

Andy

joe pries

Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:00 am

K, you should know by now- the spending never ends- ever. Every year there is something that i need- and the year before i was convinced that i had everything i'd ever need. Happens every single year.

Joe ATR Team

Granite

Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:16 am

Hi all

'Female captain'?.......she's got the hands of a bodybuilder  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Perfect for shuffling up snow during winter  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Cheers

Gary

Fly-K
Topic Author

Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:51 am

Yeah, she wasn't exactly what my copilot buddy and I had phantasized about when we first heard that a female captain would fly us to NCE. She was a DC-8 and 747F captain at LH Cargo before, I guess you lose some of your feminism in that kind of environment  Big grin

Fly-K
Topic Author

Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:54 am

I know Joe... but I think my first priority is a versatile zoom in the 50-150mm range, as my 100-400 is seriously limited at FRA...