Paulianer
Topic Author

D60 Help, What Happened Here?

Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:14 am

Hi guys,

I came home from today's shooting at Hamburg Airport and found this strange thing on my CF-Card:

It only appears on this single shot and I'm really glad that it was not a rare aircraft.

Any suggestions what this is and how I can avoid it in the future?

Thanks for all your help in advance

Greetings from Hamburg
Tobi
Tobias Rose - Hamburg (HAM/EDDH) & (XFW/EDHI) - Canon EOS D60 - ICQ: 235621277 - MSN: Tobias.Rose@gmx.de

Contact_tower

RE: D60 Help, What Happened Here?

Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:18 am

I got this once on my D60 when I was running a bit low on battery power, 1-2 images before the camera quit.

JeffM

Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:38 am

Tobi,

"...Any suggestions what this is and how I can avoid it in the future?"

Nikon.

Just kidding. Not sure how that happened. I think there is a similar thread awhile back on someone else who had a similar issue with a d60.

Jeff

hkg_clk

Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:22 pm

This has happened to me several times over the last 15 months. However, if you format the card and use it again there is no problem. Could interference (magnetic, electrical etc) be a cause of this and other types of card errors?
See my homepage for a comprehensive guide to spotting and photography at HKG

ckw

Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:18 am

Looking at this, I don't think its a card issue - or a writing to card issue. Looking at the picture, the actual symptom is major overexposure to the bottom half of the image. The D60/10D has a vertical-travel shutter. Hence my guess is a sticking shutter. As to cause, afraid I don't know - power-glitch? Some form of dirt?

But if it happens again, I'd treat it as a potentially serious problem and get the camera down to Canon servicing pronto.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Skymonster

Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:23 am

Colin, I can understand what you are saying, but how would a sticking shutter account for the whole of the bottom of the airplane being displaced about an inch (in the view above) to the right?

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

ckw

Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:24 am

Further on above - I think a power glitch can be ruled out as Canon uses an electro-magentic method which requires power to keep the shutter open - no power=shutter closed.

Cheers
Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

JeffM

Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:38 am

I think Colin nailed the reason exactly, and that does explain the shift in the image. Think about it. If the shutter stuck, the plane would have moved a small amount before becoming unstuck. Thus the portion exposed longer (the bottom) appears as an over exposure. Maybe not a power glitch, but a shutter issue.

Skymonster

Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:58 am

Well Jeff, if you're right Tobi panning technique is pretty lousy to get that sort of displacement in the lower half of the image!:D He obviously doesn't pan when he actually takes a picture - he must stop as he presses the button!

Besides, surely the bottom of the airplane would be blurred across the image if you're right, from the position the gear was in to where it can be seen in the bright part of the image.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

ckw

Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:04 am

Andy - good point - also I guess it should more blurry. So perhaps not simply a sticking shutter, but a miss-operating shutter. While I know the shutter is vertical travel, I don't know the precise blade arrangement. But it must consist of at least 2 blades - a top & bottom set.

Perhaps top blade releases properly, and bottom blade gets both slightly delayed in opening and then stays open too long. (Actually, top blade is the problem as image falling on sensor is inverted). That explains the overexposure, shift and sharpness of the bottom half of the image.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Paulianer
Topic Author

Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:29 am

Hi guys,

thanks for all your comments. And Andy, you saw my panning technique in HAM, right? Big grin

Well, I need the camera for the last BA Concorde departure/arrival from October 23rd to 25th... After this I'll sent it to Canon, just to be safe...

But if I sent it now I'm very afraid I don't get it back in time... Well it happened just this single time (yet)... and I shot many more pictures that day which were all perfectly fine....

So wish me luck  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Greetings
Tobi
Tobias Rose - Hamburg (HAM/EDDH) & (XFW/EDHI) - Canon EOS D60 - ICQ: 235621277 - MSN: Tobias.Rose@gmx.de