jasonwinn

I Sent My First Photo To Airliners.net Tonight 757

Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:42 pm

Hey everyone,
Well my brother was going out to SMF today to pick up his fiance so I tagged along for a spotting opportunity. We parked at the very edge of the economy parking which is close to 16L/34R (I believe, hope thats not backwards), I was able to get pictures of aircraft taxing on Delta, probably about 20 feet from me. Over all its a very nice spotting area.
I snapped off 2 rolls of film, so far I think this is one of my best one and something I was hoping might make airliners.net...
Even if it doesn't make it, it was still a good day, and I didn't up getting arrested lol.

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/delta757.jpg

Nikon 65, 70mm-300mm Lens
Fuji 800 Film
A very sturdy hand, didnt wanna bring the tripod and draw attention to myself lol.

[Edited 2003-11-10 04:43:03]

jasonwinn

RE: I Sent My First Photo To Airliners.net Tonight 757

Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:56 pm

Argh got rejected. I would post the original but its 6MB.

Jason Winn

clickhappy

Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:26 pm

did you appeal it? The link doesn't work.

2912n

Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:41 pm

I found that if I went on the road that runs parallell to the eastern runway I could get pretty decent shots. I spoke with security and they asked that I stay on the far side of the road, away from the fence. Tough to park there because of the drainage ditch, but it is workable. At the northern end there is a small mound that helps you see over the fence. T.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tony Zeljeznjak

serge

Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:50 pm

http://www.airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=delta757.jpg

The quality isn't that bad given the apparent/visible conditions (cloudy, little sun) but the motive isn't there. I would zoom out to a regular old side on shot which should be easy with a taxi picture.

Also I wouldn't go as high as 800 film but rather 100 or 200, Fuji Superia is rather nice as well as Fuji Reala - if you're going to shoot prints.

best of luck,
Serge  Smile

jasonwinn

Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:39 pm

Tony-
Thanks for the recommendation, I will have to try that. How long ago did you talk to security about that? I think I will have to give it a try one of these days. I mostly do GA and biz jets out of KSAC (where my fbo is at), 2q3 and q53.

Serge-
I would have tried to zoom out more but you would have mostly got fence unfortunetly. Now If I had a ladder  Wink/being sarcastic

I should have been using no higher then 400 but I had ran out the day before I went. I think some 200 or 400 film would have probably helped alot. Cause I have some really really nice delta 757 shots but they are a bit grainy. I will see if photoshop can help me out at all.

thanks!
Jason Winn

2912n

Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:28 pm

Jason, I was there in March of this year. Spent an hour or so along the fence line before security came along. They were no hassle, just wanted me away from the fence. It might be worth checking in with them ahead of time just so they know who you are...

For the west runway there is a spot at the dead end of the road that comes in off the levy (can't remember names.) It is at the south end of the runways and gives you pretty good afternoon shots.

If you are shooting film I would stay with as low a speed film as you can. 100...I kick myself for shooting 400 when I was in the Army years ago. Today those photos are so grainy. Grrrr.

Tony

Bruce

Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:49 pm

I dont get it???

Are we talking about Sacramento or Windsor Locks? opposite sides of the country! The rejected photo link is a Delta 757 at BDL.......

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

jasonwinn

Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:16 am

Thanks alot tony! I will either e-mail them or give them a call and let them know what I will be up to out there.

Bruce-
That is at SMF, I am not sure why the bottom information got changed though.