kc7mmi

Problem At The Hospital

Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:45 am

Today I was spotting at Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn and taking a few pics of Air Evac 4 from on top of the hospital parking garage. When I was just about to leave an officer knocked on my window and asked me what I was doing. When I told him I was taking pics of the helicopter he relayed the information to his civilian counterpart (a security guard). The security guard proceeded to tell me I couldn't take pics because it's private property and the air ambulance company would "get me" if I did. I've taken pics there before, and have even talked to another security officer while waiting to shoot some pics w/out any problem. Obviously I'm not going to go there again since I have better things to do than to deal with inconsistent and unpredictable hospital security staff. I am curious, however, is this something I should worry about or just forget about it and stick the pic on a.net?

H. Simpson

RE: Problem At The Hospital

Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:50 am

Stick the pic on a.net...and forget about the place

you are in a private property, they have every right to remove you...if you are in the public grass area 10inches away...thats a different story Big grin

jwenting

Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:39 pm

Homer is correct.
If you're on private property the owners can tell you to leave and they'll be well within their rights.
If you took pictures there despite them telling you not to they can indeed also go after you for that.
The police officer could do neither so he went to the civillian guard who could tell you to leave (and could then go back to the police officer with a complaint about you if you refused).
I wish I were flying

JeffM

Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:23 pm

"The security guard proceeded to tell me I couldn't take pics because it's private property..."

Seems clear enough to me. They asked you not to take pictures. It is private property. Don't take for granted that because someone else including your self has taken pictures before from that location, or a/c, that they are bound to allow you to continue. If you are in doubt, why don't you just follow up with someone else at the hospital?

Jeff

kc7mmi

Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:39 pm

I understand that just because I've taken pics there before doesn't mean I may continue...but they never actually asked me to leave, probably because I said I was just about to leave anyway. The only prohibitive thing they said was I can't take pictures. Perhaps if I get the urge I'll call 'em up to see what I truely can and cannot do. That hospital is kinda far away anyway and I rarely get any good shots. Ironically, I get better shots and much better cooperation from Mesa General, a small hospital nearby.

2912n

Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:33 am

Ben, Try a letter to the hospital admin and/or whoever administers the Life FLight program. (whatever it is called there...) Explain yourself and include a nice print of one of their helicopters. Ask for permission to shoot more...Chances are they will accomodate you.

Amazing how many doors a $5.00 print can open for you.  Smile

Tony

Stratofish

Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:20 am

Problem is often there are no clear orders to the security guards. So if anything happens they are the screwed ones. This happens often if they're employed/hired by private companies. I see no problem sticking the pic to A.net , however, if you wanna be considerate of the security guy leave the exact date out, just the month will do fine.
But, if he just acted arrogant towards you just ignore this post.
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way