COAB767
Topic Author

Interested In Aviation Photography

Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:32 am

Hey all you aircraft photo takers out there. I am interested in aviation photography. Can anybody give me some pointers on how to begin? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon In Honolulu
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"

clickhappy

RE: Interested In Aviation Photography

Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:50 am

Hi Brandon.

As with anything, photography is something you get out what you put in. Not sure what kind of camera you have, but practice makes perfect. If you have a digital camera, you can also practice on the cheap. Start out with ramp-style shots, maybe thru a fence or glass, unless you have airside access, which does make things easier.

I think it also helps to have a favorite "style." For me, I really like 3/4 angle shots. Here are a couple of recent examples:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Royal S King
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Royal S King

If you don't have a favorite, browse the excellent picture selection on this website and see something you like, and then go try it.

If you want an excellent book on airplane photography, check out Airliners in Flight, it will blow your mind

Bronko

Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:01 am

I would also suggest getting to know any regulars at the airport you intend to photograph at. For me, talking to Clickhappy (Royal) and ExitRow (Bill) in the field was invaluable.
Jet City Aviation Photography

MIA777

Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:08 am

I fully agree with Bronko. The guys with experience know best and for me Joe Fernandez and Graham Hitchen have helped me a TON! I see you are based in HNL, so find some dedicated photographers there, contact them and try and meet up. They have a lot to offer...
MIA777

Bronko

Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:19 pm

If you want to fly me to HNL from SEA, I would be more than happy to help you.  Innocent

COAB767
Topic Author

Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:14 pm

Bronko,
Would you prefer the Non-Stop SEA-HNL Flight On NW or AS SEA-LAX, Then CO LAX-HNL. Let Me Know.

Brandon
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"

Bronko

Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:21 am

DC-10's aren't flying much these days, so I would have to go with the NW flight.