thvgjp

Lens Advice Needed

Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:21 pm

I am looking to purchase a telephoto lens for use with my Canon T70 SLR. My choices are 300mm at f4, 400mm at f5.6 and 500mm at f8 (mirror). I currently am using a 200mm with good results, no blurring or under/overexposure, however I want to get even closer tighter shots. The T70 does not have the ability to manually set shutter speed (stinks) and the camera selects the propper speed based on light available and automatically sets the f stop. Which lens would you choose to achieve my desired effect.

Your advise is respected
Glen

joe pries

RE: Lens Advice Needed

Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:39 pm

Hi Glen,
i used a 500mm mirror F8 years ago- dont recommend it at all. I'd try for the fastest lens if given a choice and that from your list is the 300mm F4.

Joe
ATR Team

ckw

RE: Lens Advice Needed

Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:17 pm

Glen - every camera company makes mistakes (even Canon  Smile) and I would have to say the the T series was a biggie - lots of innovation, but somehow not brought together very well ... until of course, the wonderful T90. Which in my mind was the most versatile yet easy to use manual focus SLR ever.

So what I would suggest is that you really should consider replacing the T70 - sooner or later this camera is going to die or let you down big time and will be uneconmical to repair. You'll then be left with FD lenses that can't be used on anything else. Spending money on FD lenses unless you have something like a T90 or F1 just doesn't make sense.

But is you have to stick with the T70, then take Joe's advice - with long lenses I think you need full creative control. The 400 would be a handful on the T70, and mirrors are a pig to use at the best of times.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel