USAFHummer
Topic Author

FLL/MIA Status With Raised Alert?

Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:03 am

Hi...

Today I had planned to go to the 9L area at FLL and do some shooting...of course, last night the alert was raised to orange level...

Anyways, so my dad had to be on a commercial flight out of FLL so I drove him to the terminals around 1:00...driving past the airport, I looked at the spotting area and saw it completely deserted, save for a cop car parked perpendicular to the area on the east end of it....I couldn't determine whether or not there were barricades blocking the entrance...meanwhile, after getting off 595 to take my dad in, the cops had set up checkpoints and were looking through every car as they passed by slowly, and some cars got more thoroughly inspected...based on this I decided to not even bother with going over to 9L and just head straight home...anyone else have info on the area, or MIA as well???

Thanks,
Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

MIA777

RE: FLL/MIA Status With Raised Alert?

Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:52 am

I was at FLL and MIA on Sunday and had no problems (and as I was driving on 95/595 I could see there were several cars at the spotting area). In the past FLL has put up the barricades etc. but MIA usually remains open...at least I hope it does.
MIA777

miamix707

Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:41 am

USAF in MIA they don't get as ridiculous. I did see many, too many cops on 95 but ticketing people in the middle of nowhere (early christmas present) I was driving to Orlando. Try going to the 7th floor of the parking garage in FLL if they close the park, which wouldnt surprise me. I was there sat, ran to the fence (not in the spotting area) cop passes by, doesnt look in my direction keeps going. I head back to my car after I shot the plane I went there for and see him going around some bushes "patrolling" the area. There might have been terrorists getting cover under palm trees! what a waste of tax dollars..

M.R..

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:45 am

The garage doesn't interest me unless they are using 27R at FLL...I don't particularly care for shooting departures at the moment...but it sounds like MIA is less of a hassle? I might head down there tomorrow...

Greg

MIA777

Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:34 pm

Mario- It seems like we keep missing each other. I was at FLL on Sunday. Oh well, one day!

Ryan
MIA777

MIA777

Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:12 am

I was at MIA this morning for a bit and there were not any problems...
MIA777

miamix707

Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:41 am

USAF I hope you got some shots at MIA, at FLL you can always get your shot, but if you want landing shots on 9L and the park is closed, youll have to go to the other side of 95 (and cops do patrol that too). Ryan, we'll come across each other when I'm back in MIA early next year (only a few days away) I hope you have a Merry Christmas.. btw I met Airliner 777 the other day

-Mario

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:53 am

I didn't go to MIA yet...I keep meaning to but these attacks laziness keep coming over me...its 35 minutes from where I am and Im a lazy bum sometimes lol...

Greg