UTA_flyinghigh

Help On Aviation Photography In BKK

Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:29 pm

Hello,
It looks like I shall be in BKK for a convention next month  Big thumbs up
What are the photographic opportunities there and how is spotting looked on by the Thai authorities ?
Will
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

aa61hvy

RE: Help On Aviation Photography In BKK

Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:09 am

You can take photos at BKK, at least you could when I was there, try to go near the golf course, its a great location.
Go big or go home

Heinz

Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:38 am

Hi,
as far as I know, the golf course between the runways isn't easily accessible for civilians. If anyone knows how to get there, that information would be much appreciated !
There are, however, two viewing decks behind glass in terminal 1, with only mildly tinted glass. They are on the forth floor and, until about 2 years ago, were connected by the long Thai Food Court. The Food Court has since closed, but maybe something new has opened meanwhile.
The view you have from up there is into the yard between gates 31-37 on your right and 20-26 on your left. Your view is also on the main taxiway leading to 21R/21L departures, and you will need approximately 180mm for a passing A330. Due to the north/south orientation of buildings and runways at BKK, photography is only good in the afternoon.
Heinz

lyzzard

Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:19 am

You can purchase a ramp pass for BKK. The airport requires up to one week of notice. Surf over to their website and see if you can email or call the appropriate dept for details. It's not cheap, something like US$80 or 90 for 5 hours of photography but it does give you close up access to certain areas of the tarmac.