serge

Urgent Film Troubleshooting/help Needed Please!

Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:38 am

Hi all,

A few months back I loaded a roll of Provia 36 exposures into my camera outside in broad daylight - it was so cold the mechanism in the camera failed to load the film properly but already advanced it a little to around where the first frame might be. I was shooting a rare visitor at the time and couldn't risk that the film could have been ruined so I replaced the roll with another and just rewound the little bit of film by hand back into the canister.

Is it worth the risk to try this film still? How many exposures should I waste before the film would be normal? (theres another rare visitor coming in the conditions aren't good for other films)

THanks a bunch...

UTA_flyinghigh

RE: Urgent Film Troubleshooting/help Needed Please!

Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:45 am

From what I understood - you loaded a film but the camera didn't load it properly so you chucked it out as a rare aircraft was coming in.
Now you would like to use that film again. Hmmm. I wouldn't use it for anything important if I were you, and I would definitely fire 5 or 6 shots just to make sure.

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

JeffM

Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:11 am

Serge,
It is common (or used to be  Smile ) for a film shooter to rewind exposed film back into the canister. I used to do it a lot, never once had a problem. I only shot off 2 spare frames 1/1000 with cap on, once in awhile 3 if I knew I had something good on there.

You should be fine.

serge

Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:46 am

Hi Jeff,

Cool, thanks for the reassurance - I ended up using the roll but the weather here sucked (overcast) - guess I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. Don't get Citation X's very often around here  Smile/happy/getting dizzy There might actually be a second one in later tonight at the same time which should be neat.

Thanks guys...