Bruce
Topic Author

San Diego Photo Question

Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:17 pm

In this photo,

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Craig Mills

You can see a parking garage at the bottom. It looks to be right in line with the runway and very close. Has anyone shot photos from this garage? Is it private property? Seems to me that you could get some very close shots with very little zoom from that spot on the rooftop level.

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

rsmith6621a

RE: San Diego Photo Question

Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:22 pm

It seems like a great place to grab shots of AC turning onto 27 but Ill bet its off limits......
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

maiznblu_757

Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:08 pm

I used to pay the parking fee and spot up there for the day in the early mid 90's. I dont know if its off limits now though.

maiznblu_757

Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:12 pm

I remember there were power lines in the way when looking toward runway 27 threshhold though. Better for shooting aircraft on approach.

CFIcraigAPA

Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:14 pm

I took that photo and believe me, I tried to get up there. There are signs plastered all over the area saying that "viewing" is prohibited. The personnel watch the area like hawks. There is another garage which is automated (ie take the ticket when it spits it out)just to the right and a little lower that has the same signage. I was able to get a quick couple shots off from there, but didn't want to press my luck. And yes, there are darn power lines between the garages and the runway.
CM
Prior Proper Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

jfktowerfan
Crew

Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:50 pm

Probably not the best place for pics, caption says thats runway 27 so the sun will be in front of you, not that you can't get good backlit pics, but no one wants to have that all day.

Corey
C'mon Man

2912n

Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:02 pm

The garage is NOT photographer friendly. Sadly there were people who went up there and did things like leave trash all over and climb on cars to get a better view. (not their own cars...). Too bad as it is a nice spot.

Sadly there is only one really decent spot that is easy to access (Harbor and Laurel). You can drive around and look for better spots, but they are tough.

Tony

lindy field

Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:04 pm

Yeah, it's not so easy to get pictures from the parking garage, but if you succeed, they come out looking like this:
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mark Stapledon Jr.

scottysair

RE: NW Announce DEN-LAX; More MSP-LAX

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:08 am

Hey Guys!!!

I was there in SAN from last month and we were on the cruise trip to Mexico and those are doing great place for the spot in SAN. I didn't have a times to take chance shoot with their pics and it is very busy day in SAN airport and when we were arriving into the port by early morning. Maybe next time for me and if we can come back visit in SAN for the future trip. This is my first time in SAN and those are looking great to view with the city. This is too short of the runway and what are you think will constructions of new San Diego Airport? Thanks!  Smile

futureualpilot

Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:58 pm

Scotty,

There isnt room down around SAN to expand the runway, and hardly any room to expand terminal 2, sadly. The airport has great location, but unfortunatley I believe there are a lot of real estate folks who own the land around the airport and won't give it up for the airport to grow.

I hope this answers your question, have a good day!
Life is better when you surf.