Dslr Raw Photos: Which Program?

Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:01 am

Hey all,

I was wondering which program everyone used (admitting of course you do shoot using raw settings).

I've tried the canon file viewer utility which does a good job but is overall very slow. I've also tried out Adobe Photoshop CS, which has nice features but seems to be a little grainy. Finally I've tried Capture One but I didn't find the interface very nice to use.

I'm therefore still looking for the perfect program and interested in everyone's experiences and opinions.

Cheers,
Tim

LGW

RE: Dslr Raw Photos: Which Program?

Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:05 am

Tim,

I am currently using BreezeBrowser although I would love to get my hands on a copy of Photoshop CS for RAW conversion.

Ben Pritchard

ckw

Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:06 am

Photoshop CS, which has nice features but seems to be a little grainy

Don't find that personally - in absolute quality I'd order the ones I use

Capture One
Photoshop CS
Breezebrowser

Though I find the difference between C1 and CS very small indeed, and overall I generally use CS by choice. I'd be inclined to think if you are not getting good results from CS, you haven't got things set up correctly. It is VERY important to get the monitor adjusted as accurately as possible using the Adobe Gamma utility.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Riley

Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:01 am

Tim, being a recent JPEG to RAW convert, I can give you a bit of background on this topic. Colin will tell you that I've struggled with this conversion from the start, but after using C1 for about a month now, I will never go back to JPEG. I actually find the C1 interface quite user friendly and easy to use, but it took some time and study to get my workflow down to a routine. When I open C1, my images are conveniently available on the left hand side of the screen from the Windows file system. Clicking any image brings it front and center and I can just slide the left hand edge over the thumbnails with my mouse. Adjustments for white balance, exposure, and focus are on the right side of your monitor for easy access, but they take some time to get comfortable with. I click the symbol for develop and they automatically open in PS, where I make final adjustments as needed and save as a JPEG. That's pretty much the simplified version of my workflow. Fast, efficient and easy to use. Let me know if you require more details.

RyanU

Karlok

Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:30 pm

I use Photoshop 7 and Raw Camera Plugin