Thrust
Topic Author

Precrash Photos Of AA DC-10 N110AA

Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:18 am

I have become extremely passionate to find pre-crash photos of N110AA, the AA DC-10-10 that crashed shortly after takeoff at ORD operating ORD-LAX as Flight 191 on May 25, 1979. The registration N110AA is haunting to me not only because of the fate it suffered, but because I have been unable to find pre-crash photos of this aircraft which I can view clearly, they are all so tiny I cannot get a good look at them. Precrash photos of N110AA are rare! I have been able to find only three, none were on aviation photo databases, and the only other photos I found was N110AA's final moments as an airframe; the left engine already separated from the left wing, the aircraft's wings already well over the vertical position and the vapor trail leaking from the engineless left wing, and then the fireball after the N110AA plummetted in to the trailer park.

Basically, I want to know where I can find a bunch of photos of N110AA prior to its crash, especially pre-crash photos showing the port side of the aircraft, because of the port engine's significance in the crash.
Any one who can provide a link or recommend even a book that has photos of this registration has my respect and thanks.
Fly one thing; Fly it well

clickhappy

RE: Precrash Photos Of AA DC-10 N110AA

Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:09 am

hmmmm, interesting question.

I have a slide of N110AA, taken by my dad @ LAX, but it shows the right side of the plane.

I would watch http://www.auctiontransportation.com/ and one will pop up eventually, I'm sure.

Thrust
Topic Author

Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:39 am

Thanks a bunch, Clickhappy, for providing me a possible solution to a something I have sought even before becoming a member of a.net. Hopefully soon the search is over thanks to your help.

--Thrust

ExitRow

Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:49 am

ExitRow

Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:12 pm

Another here:

http://aviation-safety.net/pictures/displayphoto.php?id=19790525-2&vnr=1&kind=PC

I tried hotlinking this but for some reason the A.net code won't display it properly. I think it has something to do with the "=" sign.

Image not hotlinked per the copyright message on the site.

BTW... this thread should probably be in Photo Requests forum.  Big grin

Continental

Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:09 pm

"BTW... this thread should probably be in Photo Requests forum"

Why? So no one can look at it or reply!?

lol, you get a lot more views in here!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Thrust
Topic Author

Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:42 pm

Thank you, ExitRow. I actually had already seen that one, but you did enlarge it by enough. I wish I could enlarge this photo a little more, because it shows the fractured pylon shine--you can see a bit of gold-colored metal, I would assume from the missing silver pieces.

miamix707

Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:33 pm

that picture of the plane going down is amazing and as far as I remember is like between 2 buildings or something, so it was a rare coincidence that anyone had a camera at that moment and snapped that shot. I wonder if there are any other shots of that plane's last moments

Thrust
Topic Author

Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:37 am

I remember also an early 1970s photo of N110AA, but I have not been able to find it on the internet for nearly two years! How frustrating. Thank you all of the participants in this discussion. I am getting closer. I now have access to two photos thanks to the responders to this topic. Please, continue responding...this is perhaps one of the topics I felt the biggest desire to post.