clickhappy

Airliners.net Needs More Screeners

Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:28 am

The que is at historic levels and (seems to me) becoming unmanageable. Having spoken to some of the top shooters on this board, the length of time between uploading and acceptance are just too long.

I am sure the current screeners are working as hard as they can while still trying to enjoy their personal and professional lives, which further highlites the need for more screening resources.

So how 'bout it? The competition is screening photos is 24-48 hours.

Don't risk alienating your most valuable asset (the people who upload their photos) by ignoring this situation.

vafi88

RE: Airliners.net Needs More Screeners

Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:25 pm

You know? I actually felt like I needed to start this Thread too, but you beat me to it.

I feel like there IS A SERIOUS need to get more screeners, about 2X as many.

At 7,200 and growing, how would YOU like to have a photo with 7,199 before yours???

Get some more screeners please!
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

maiznblu_757

Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:15 pm

Deal with it!

Signed,
Places 1-100 in the Queue

MIA777

Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:36 pm

I agree. If the "deal with it!" approach is taken, many photographers may concentrate on websites that don't have or have addressed these issues...
MIA777

cancidas

Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:50 pm

MIA777, that's probably true already, of many photgraphers...
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

MIA777

Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:04 pm

Yes I know...I think it's time for an upload limit? 10 photos a day? I don't think any of the site administrators have responded to these requests in past threads...
MIA777

vafi88

Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:13 pm

Ryan - I don't think 10 a day is a good thing. for instance - my photos have been sitting in the queue for about 4 or 5 days, with the rule, I could upload 50 shots. Imagine 50 photogs uploading 50 shots each... that's a tough job, and then you have to sort it out.

I say just hire more screeners - it's not like A.net has to pay them anyways.

BTW - Don't get me wrong, the screeners are doing a good job.

maiznblu_757

Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:17 pm

I was being sarcastic...

Obviously, right now, people in spots 1-100 are pretty thrilled.

MIA777

Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:28 pm

Well I mean once the present queue issues are sorted out, a 10 photo limit would work out well. People couldn't upload hundreds of photos and the queue could probably always be less than 1,000. This would require that a certain amount of screeners screen everyday but in the end more screeners are a must.
MIA777

Kereru

Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:41 pm

I haven't been screening as much in the last week, I will resume a higher level this week. Some things that can help is to make sure the data fields are all filled in and it is amazing just how much time can be saved screening for little things like that. If the reg is already in the DB with a complete list of data it is easy to check and make sure any new uploads are the same. Keep them coming the queue will drop in the near future as we resume screening.

Colin
Good things take Time.

maiznblu_757

Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:42 pm

queue will drop in the near future as we resume screening.

So, nobody is screening at the moment?

[Edited 2004-02-22 06:43:06]

Bruce

Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:44 pm

Ok.....how 'bout something different. Try this one on for size. How about a upload limit for NEW photographers - say, those who have added less than 100 photos on the database in the past 180 days. These are generally the people who need to work on either shooting or finishing techniques or whose equipment isn't the greatest, right? And also those who would have the highest concentration of rejections so a limit on these could keep the queue from becoming bloated with marginal shots.
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

kc7mmi

Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:04 pm

I'm not sure if I agree with that new photog limit. I am a "new photographer" and yet I have uploaded 75 photos since the end of Sep in 2003. My technique has much improved and my rejection rate isn't too bad (I'm guessing around 30%, sometimes better, sometimes worse). I have also become much more selective on which photos to upload. I'm sure this is the case with most new photographers that have gained some experience.

If you want to put a limit on uploads, do it so that no more than 50 photos from one photog will be at the top of the Q. The photog will be able to upload more than that, but the rest will remain at the bottom of the Q and won't start working their way to the top until their first 50 have been FULLY processed. How 'bout that?

BTW, wouldn't it be nice to have the photo stats tell you what your current rejection (or acceptance) rate is, based off the last three uploads? I think that would be really cool.

-Benjamin

heliporter

Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:03 pm

Vafi88 wrote:
I feel like there IS A SERIOUS need to get more screeners, about 2X as many.

I FEEL THIS TOO !

Really a great job done by the screeners today, but there are simply too much photos to handle. A queue of 4000+ is almost every time the case. No surprise that some identical pictures are published on "other sites" a full week earlier (just another reason for a.net to do something). There are so many good photographers, that it should be no problem to find more screeners. Any other restrictions (upload limit ...) had been discussed many times without any action.

Clickhappy already mention the target: The competition is screening photos in 24-48 hours

///Markus
Markus Herzig - Swiss Helicopters, Pilatus Porter and Aviation Photography

IL76

Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:14 pm

I agree with an upload limit. Something like: If you upload a picture, you can not upload another for an hour or something. It will take the quality inspection task from the screener to the photographer himself. IF you want your picture on A.net, the photographer really needs to do some self-screening and make sure that he uploads only his best work. This will keep A.net standards high, and will encourage photo-diversity... (f.e. One would not be uploading 50 pics of approaches to LHR 27L in one batch anymore)
I think we had this discussion here a while ago.

VIAF

Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:31 pm

I agree with a upload limit!!!! Big thumbs up Necessarily!!

Maybe several uploaders will stopping upload every day hundreds of pics!!  Pissed

Upload 5 for a day!!!And the photographers will uploading only the best shots which they have!!!!

VIAF

sfilipowicz

Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:20 pm

I also agree with the idea of IL76, I think that would be a good solution to get the queue smaller.

gkirk

Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:35 pm

Even screeners need a break sometimes.  Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:51 pm

Hmmm, but if we have an upload limit some people who did really long trips ( e.g. Sam Chui?) will need ages for getting all their good shots in the database if there's a limit of 5 per day  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I think maybe 15 - 20 a day would be ok.

regards, Florian

flumuc

Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:55 pm

I don´t think a daily limit would be good.

If someone only has time e.g. every Saturday and is only allowed to upload 5 or 10 shots, it would take forever to upload a bunch of good shots.

Wouldn´t a limit like 30 pics every 5 days be more appropriate? If you upload the 30 on one day you have to wait 4 days to upload more.

beechcraft

Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:57 pm

Hi,
i´d go with the "more screeners" opinion here, since i don´t think an upload limit would work or be accepted.
I mean, you probably won´t save time if instead of waiting in a 7500+ queue with 30 of your photos you could only upload e.g. 5 photos at a time, which would mean to go back to the end of the uploads every day.
Also, A.net now has what, like over 6000 photogs? even with an average of 2 uploads per photog, there would be an instant 12000 pics to screen.

I think a limit would be very hard on people like Art Brett, who is listetd with 77 high quality uploads from the last 48 hours. If they had to reduce their uploads, they´d be easily frustrated and maybe would even move on "other sites", something nobody could have an interest in.
As the page continues to grow, with increasing numbers of uploaded shots, the call should be for more screeners.
The hard thing with that of course would be maintaining the high standards of screening here at a.net, but in my opinion more screeners would mean more smiling faces and reduced standing in line times.

but maybe thats just me...

best regards,

Denis
That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

Jaspike

Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:00 pm

As the page continues to grow, with increasing numbers of uploaded shots, the call should be for more screeners.
The hard thing with that of course would be maintaining the high standards of screening here at a.net, but in my opinion more screeners would mean more smiling faces and reduced standing in line times.

I agree  Smile But this isn't my area, I'm only giving my views, not the views of A.net  Smile

-And there are currently 7889 photographers. Multiply by 2 and you've got 15778  Big thumbs up

Josh

Skymonster

Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:12 pm

I've done hardly any screening since the turn of the year, mainly due to being much busier at work this year. And I'm not one of the top screeners! Several other screeners are "down" at the moment too, no doubt for their own personal reasons.

I had some free time yesterday morning, and thought I might do some screening. I checked my e-mail first, only to find some kind photographer had sent us screeners an e-mail. The subject line was:

You are a f**ing idiot..."

except that the subject wasn't edited with asterisks, and you can guess that the content was equally abusive. One of the screeners replied, nicely, suggesting that such an rude stance wasn't really the way to get things done, in response to which that screener got a further e-mail from the same person saying:

I sent Johan already and told him somebody has their head up their butt at his place. Hey, it must be you. I don't need you or Johan or airliners.net to put my pictures up if the screeners are so f***ing stupid.

Now I fully appreciate that not many photographers, especially those contributing to this topic, are rude like that. The majority are nice folks who genuinely want to help. But just to illustrate the idiotic minority spoil it for the good majority because having read that exchange I thought to myself "why bother just to get all this abuse" and didn't do any screening yesterday, and instead I processed and prepared some pictures for uploading to another site in which I now have an interest as a contributor. Sorry and all, but that's the way it goes - like I say, the moronic minority can sometimes spoil things for everyone else!

----

As an aside, we've been recruiting more screeners and they'll be starting work shortly.

Andy

[Edited 2004-02-22 12:15:43]
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

Jkw777

Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:16 pm

Ahh I don't know.... I think your just getting impatient!  Wink/being sarcastic

Seriously, the screeners do a fantastic job, they are unpaid, and also have lives to lead I'm sure  Smile As GKirk said, they need a break too!

Keep up the good work  Smile

Justin  Big thumbs up
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

9A-CRO
Crew

Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:30 pm

The three screeners rule should be dropped, at least to two
screeners. That would fasten up the queue.

Also as someone suggested above uploading "windows" of 10-30 photos would be good. If script detects that there are more than limited number of photos in queue it adds photos at the end of the queue.
I know that queue software is based on e-mail address but with minor modification such as adding #1,#2... at end of e-mail address and later removing it should work.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward...

Granite

Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:58 pm

Hi all

Guys, guys......for the record 7 new screeners have been employed and are currently awaiting their passwords for the pages etc.

I have been working on this for some weeks now.

Those selected are looking forward to starting. The delay being Henrik has been away and it needs him to finish the process.

They will be screening as of this coming week.

And as for the guy who sent the rude mail.......complete and utter doughball.

Cheers

Gary Watt

ake0404ar

Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:21 pm

Well this will be a never ending story / vicious circle

More screeners = fast processing
This may apply for the moment but

The number of photographers is rising every day....
More photographers = more photos

and in a few months from now we will have the same problem again.......

Remember the topic......" Digital era changed the whole game"

If I look at the stats, sometimes I feel like this being a contest.....whoever puts up the most shots in 24-48 hr section is a winner

Upload 100 shots and have them all in the 24-48 hrs queue......
Come on,is this really necessary?

In a few months we will have 50 screeners handling 15000 photos.
So the ratio still stays the same!

Spotterboy said:

"Hmmm, but if we have an upload limit some people who did really long trips ( e.g. Sam Chui?) will need ages for getting all their good shots in the database if there's a limit of 5 per day "

So what then has to wait and live by the rules like anyone else on this site.
Good shots will be recognized one way or the other.
Why would you upload all your good shots even from a long trip all at once!

I have said it a few times in the past and will reiterate myself.

UPLOAD LIMIT PER PHOTOGRAPHER!

Time has come to act................................................

Regards
Vasco Garcia

Jkw777

Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:22 pm

Well that is good to hear, now guys stop whining  Wink/being sarcastic

Cheers for the inside info Gary  Big thumbs up

Regards,

Justin  Smile
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

beechcraft

Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:26 pm

7 new Screeners sound great to me,
i hope this takes a heavy workload off you guys.
What i wanted to add to my last reply was that i´m fine with waiting at place 6000+ (not always, but once in a while  Smile ), ´cause screeners are doing all this work for the site and still have to care about family, friends, etc. Something refered to as a real life.

Anyway, with that guy that mailed Andy, saying:

" I don't need you or Johan or airliners.net to put my pictures up if the screeners are so f***ing stupid."

if that is what he is thinking: ever thought of kicking him and his photos out of here?

regards,

Denis
That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:39 pm

Guys, guys......for the record 7 new screeners have been employed and are currently awaiting their passwords for the pages etc.

Sounds good to me  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Thanks for the info Gary!

On the other hand, Vasco is 100% right!

In a few months we will have 50 screeners handling 15000 photos.
So the ratio still stays the same!

Okay, upload limit please, but not below 10 shots at once!

regards, Florian

Granite

Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:01 pm

Hi all

I agree with Vasco on:

''Upload 100 shots and have them all in the 24-48 hrs queue......
Come on,is this really necessary?''

In my humble opinion, uploads to the site have increased since this feature was implemented. Bloody hell, I sill have some stuff from Singapore, Zurich and Gatwick to process and upload. How do people find the time to process 100 uploads in one sitting?

Comes back to the old Airliners.net saying.....'Quality NOT quantity'
Yes, there are many who upload good quality stuff on their hundreds.....but not ALL at once please guys  Sad

Cheers

Gary Watt

N178UA

Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:04 pm

Since when my name is recognized as a quantity uploader??? Any one please tell me any of my shot are repeatitive? I will do my best to ensure a break for every viewer on my photos!  Smile

I never upload more than 15 in one day, mostly 5-10 shots or less per session. If you count the travels and different photos/location/angles I made, I can say no one have withhold more shot than I have currently.

I have 7Gb of photos from last trip that doesn't mean I am going to upload all of them, or half of them...At the meantime I would like to see some slide scan uploads, 99% nowadays are digital shot, which make easy to uploads.

Sam

For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com

apuneger

Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:17 pm

Personally, I think Airliners.net needs the following solution:

- More self-screening by the photographers themselves.
- Some more screeners (AFAIK the cost for this measure for Airliners.net is zero)
- An upload limit of 10 per day or why not 30 or so per week? 1 upload every hour is not a good idea I think. For instance, I like to upload all my pics in one single time.

Greetings,
Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

G-CIVP

Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:34 pm

"Comes back to the old Airliners.net saying.....'Quality NOT quantity'
Yes, there are many who upload good quality stuff on their hundreds.....but not ALL at once please guys."

Just to echo Gary's point. As I photographer who visits this site to see what the latest 'hot' shots are, I do get disheartened when I see 'Joe Bloggs' upload hundreds of shots taken on the same day, e.g. at the Mrytle Avenue at LHR. Admittedly, the shots may be technically good but please, use some judgement on what to upload!

Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:38 pm

'Quality NOT quantity'

Exactly the way to go.... But lots of new photog's are uploading EVERYTHING, just for getting their first shot accepted... I know what I'm talking bout, I did so too, nowadays I do lots of self screening, only uploading my best shots...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

- More self-screening by the photographers themselves.

The same as I said above

- Some more screeners (AFAIK the cost for this measure for Airliners.net is zero)

As Gary said there are 7 new ones now... I don't thing we need more at the moment

- An upload limit of 10 per day or why not 30 or so per week? 1 upload every hour is not a good idea I think. For instance, I like to upload all my pics in one single time.

I like the idea with a weekly upload limit. Sounds good, and I think it is more effective than a daily limit.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

regards, Florian

[Edited 2004-02-22 14:39:59]

cabbott

Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:50 pm

Guys Vascos comments were BANG ON! and 100% correct.

It's important that each member takes a few seconds to think about what he/she is about to upload.

Recently I have been uploading very rarely. Why? Well weather here for starts but then again when I have something I think is good I check the Database to see how many other photos are there. If there is masses of it I wont bother.

This is a hobby to most of us but a game to those of you who are only intrested in stats or being no 1. Digital Cameras can be bought cheaply nowadays but manners and courtesy stays the same. Please take a minute to think about those people behind the site who make it work, they are not paid and they do a very nice Job.

Colin
Europix

Skymonster

Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:01 pm

Guys, we can bang on about self-imposed limits all we like but the repeat mass-upload offenders either (a) are not regular visitors here so aren't aware of the debate and the problems they cause, or (b) are too ignorant and self-centered to care that their uploading of hundreds of photos adversely impacts other photographers. Johan has never supported the concept of an upload limit and I doubt he would now, but we've recruited a few more screeners and that'll help get things under control soon. For the longer term, how many of those of you concerned about the queue length would actually be prepared to dedicate time (maybe a couple of hours) every day to this site - no, this isn't an advert for further screeners, but do remember that the screeners have a life, and screening can be impacted by work, family, personal, social and even emotional (read the comments about nasty e-mails) issues from time to time.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:07 pm

Agreed... Big thanks to all screeners who are doing it voluntarily and without getting paid!

THANK YOU  Big thumbs up

regards. Florian

Granite

Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:09 pm

Hi all

Well said Andy and adding a little footnote...........how many of you would be willing to leave your own photo processing for weeks until you have finished screening other peoples images?

Cheers

Gary Watt

TS

Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:11 pm

Hello all,

Interesting topic. I like the idea of an upload limit as suggested by Vasco & some others. However, during my last upload I think the average number of photos per photographer in the queue was like 6. So the suggested limits of 10, 20 or 30 in one batch would affect few photographers & the queue would probably still be XXL.

The three screeners rule should be dropped, at least to two

I like this idea a lot.

And it's also nice to hear new screeners will be added. Happy screening!  Smile

Thomas
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

mirage

Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:30 pm

To have more screeners is good but it's not the definitive solution, in a question of 6, 7 monthes we'll be discussing this again.

It's urgent (in my opinion of course) to establish an upload limit per photographer. I know some don't like it but I think it's a necessary rule.

It can be a limit of 20 per day, 20 per upload until getting photos added, 20 each 3 days, anything to avoid the craziness. And since I'm talking about this, that board with the rating of top uploaders is a big "no no".

Luis

Granite

Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:43 pm

Hi all

My mistake, cannot count.......will be 8 new screeners!

Cheers

Gary Watt

fireguy274

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:15 am

I think anyone who sends a nasty email to any of the screeners should be removed from the site immediately.....Artie

heliporter

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:22 am

Seven new screeners - big thanks to all!

As most people pointing out here - only an upload limit will solve also future problems. There will always be peoples uploading hughe batches in the requested quality. To honor photographers doing selfscreening and upload only the best shots with an interesting variation airliners.net has to set an upload limit, in my opinion. Otherwise the competition will remain, who hast the most.

My proposal for a better upload queue/process would be:
- Limit of 20-30 photos in the queue per photographer (more should be rejected)
- FIFO - First in, first out (like this you will not always be overtaken)

With such an easy solution the queue will be for sure smaller, and as smaller the queue is, as earlier every photographer can upload his next batch. Fun for everyone - fast processing and a much better variation of photos displayed daily in a.net.

Markus

Markus Herzig - Swiss Helicopters, Pilatus Porter and Aviation Photography

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:38 am

- I think anyone who sends a nasty email to any of the screeners should be removed from the site immediately.....Artie

Might be nessecary!

- My mistake, cannot count.......will be 8 new screeners!

Even better Gary  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

-The three screeners rule should be dropped, at least to two
I like this idea a lot.

I also think this would be good

regards, Florian  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

kc7mmi

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:47 am

I think that if there is going to be an upload limit, we don't have to completely reject all the photos that are over the limit. Just leave the remaining photos at the bottom of the queue until the first 20 or 30 are fully processed. Then the next 20 or 30 photos (if there are that many) can begin their journey in the queue.

For example:
  • A photog uploades 60 photos (when there is a 25 photo limit)
  • The first 25 go in the queue while the remaining 35 are held
  • Once the first 25 have been fully processed, the next 25 go in the queue while the last 10 are held
  • When that batch of 25 have been fully processed the last 10 go in the queue.

This way a photog can upload as many as he wants yet only 20-30 of one photog will ever be ahead of anyone else.

-Benjamin

[Edited 2004-02-22 17:14:23]
  •  
    MIA777

Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:26 am

I think hiring new screeners is the easy way out. As others have mentioned, this same problem will arise again when the number of photographers greatly increases (like it has been). I really feel an upload limit is necessary and the whole statistics section needs to go...that just drives people to upload and upload. I think this site should be geared towards sharing photographs and not competing for (in my opinion) trivial "statistical victories"...
    MIA777

airhead711

Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:36 am

I think when you upload a photo it should be screened in the order in which it was recieved.Even if you already have photos in the queue,I don't think the new uploads should automatically move up in the queue.I have 1 photo in the queue for over 1 week now.It says 47 photogs and like 200 photos ahead of me.It's been saying that for 3 days now.Sometimes it's 47 photogs and 200 photos,sometimes it's 47 photogs and 250 photos.The number of photogs hasn't moved in days,as long as they continue to upload,we all sit still.

Scott

vafi88

Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:48 am

I agree with the whole 2 screens Idea... OR - we can have 2 seperate queues which will eliminate lower quality photos right away - for those, you could employ starting photographers like myself to learn from others' mistakes.

Good idea eh?

kc7mmi

Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:51 am

It's very good that we have eight new screeners but something else still needs to be done. There are some good ideas in this thread and it would be nice for administration to act upon them.

-Benjamin