ACB777
Topic Author

Is A Digital Camera Needed To Upload To A.net?

Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:19 pm

I want to start doing some Aviation photography. I would like to upload pictures to Airliners.net. Right now, I own a camera that uses film, since parents think a digital camera uses up too many batteries. Is it possible to use my camera to take photos good enough to upload to Airliners.net? How do I make them good enough for Airliners.net? All answers would be appreciated.

IL76

RE: Is A Digital Camera Needed To Upload To A.net?

Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:30 pm

If you take slide or negative-film, you need a good (film-)scanner. The price of a good scanner falls in the same range as a pretty decent digital camera (correct me if I'm wrong). So... It's up to you to choose.
(BTW, digital camera's batteries come with a charger...)
Good luck,
E

Skymonster

Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:57 pm

I own a camera that uses film, since parents think a digital camera uses up too many batteries.

LOL! Batteries are cheap compared to film. Your choice though - use film, or use batteries. In any case, most digitals use rechargeable batteries.

As has already been said, film is fine for a.net, but you'll need a fairly good scanner, and I mean a dedicated negative/slide scanner and not a flat-bed to have much chance of success.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

VIAF

Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:30 pm

Skymonster
I have also films and I use a hp scanjet 4500c !Is he good enough for scanning pictures?(Kodak 100ASA)
Having also a lot of problems sometimes!!!

Thanks

VIAF

Skymonster

Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:41 pm

VIAF,

I don't know the details of different scanners, so its not really possible for me to comment on specific models. All I know, as a screener, is that most (not all, most) photographers who use flat-bed scanners to scan prints have problems meeting the standards here. That doesn't mean that the use of such equipment is not allowed, just be prepared for some work getting images up to our standards if you use such kit.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

VIAF

Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:38 pm

It`s a flat-bed scanner,yes!And I have also not paid the price like for a digital camera!(I think I paid 500 sFR.)

So I guess that`s the problem!!

And for the future I guess it will be necessary to having a perfect scanner or a digital camera for uploading the pictures!

The standard is very high and if you having not old,rare or accident picture its quasi impossible to upload some shots!

So ACB777 it`s maybe better choice to buy a digital camera!!!

VIAF

Karlok

Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:19 pm

A digital camera is not required, but it make things easier.

planeboy

Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:37 am

I would say digital is your best bet - unless you are really good with a paintbrush...  Laugh out loud

707CMF

Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:11 am

Go for digital. Batteries is no excuse, as you can buy one or two sets of additionnals accus (NiMh are quite good) and have those sets last a few years.

707, digital and accu users