kaitak

Hand Holding For A Complete Beginner!

Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:05 am

I'm finally taking the plunge and buying myself an EOS 300D. Now, I've never done digital photography and I wanted to get up and running as soon as I can. Most of the features on the camera I'll get used to, over a period of time, but just a few quick questions to get me started. Please pardon the questions which might seem incredibly stupid at this stage!

- The cards I need to use: what's the best one and how much are they? How many high resolution shots can they handle?

- Do I need to set the camera to a particular Pixel setting to make it suitable for Airliners.net standard photos, or does it automatically take 6.3m pixel shots?

- What's the best way to store them? On a website, a CD or elsewhere?

- General comments, based on your experience (easy on the jargon!)

Many thanks,

Kaitak

apuneger

RE: Hand Holding For A Complete Beginner!

Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:19 am

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm sure you won't regret it. Even though some might consider the 300D as being a 'light' version of other Canon D-SLR, it can give you quite good results, depending on the lenses and the photographer.

* Use a Compact Flash. Depending on how many shots you're looking to take 'per session', go for a 256 or 512mB. Don't go for a MicroDrive. I have one and it's slower and more fragile than a CF.

* Set the resolution to 'high', 3... x 2... pixels.

* Personally I store my pics both on my hard disk and CD's. I'm a bit scared of DVD's, because when you lose one DVD you lose 4.7gB instead of 700mB on a CD.

* General comments: whenever the weather is good, go out and experiment a lot. After a while you'll learn what suits your needs best. What works fine for photographer A doesn't necessarily work out for photographer B. Taking photos also depends on a lot of parameters (weather, traffic, time of day,...). Also, don't think the 'out-of-camera' image will be the same as what you see over here. The pics need some post-processing (sharpening, cropping,...) Basically, just go out and have a lot of fun!!!

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

Airplanepics

Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:05 am

Congrats on your future purchase!
I received my 300D a few weeks back, and am very pleased with it. My first shots are in the upload q, so hopefully will get into the database.

I have to disagree with Apuneger, get a microdrive - they hold 1gb of data, and are very cheap now days. I can pick one up for just over £100.They are capable of taking 320 shots at 6.2 million megapixels.

You want the highest setting for optimum performance. I believe that the 300D's default settings are Set to the highest number of pixels when you first receive it.

I store my pictures on CD and on my computer. Therefore if my PC buggers up I can rely on the CD, to restore all of my pictures.

Also, renember to save your pictures as a unique filename before you upload to a.net.

With the 300D you will receive a copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements, I use this program to edit my photos, and feel that it does the job.

The last thing I can say, is enjoy it! Don't start getting frustrated if you cant get the photo you want, you will get there in the end.

Just remember - Practice Practice Practice!

Cheers,

Airplanepics - Canon 300D User  Big thumbs up

[Edited 2004-03-08 20:09:11]
Simon - London-Aviation.com

Karlok

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:04 am

About the storage, I heard that CD-R remains for 2/3 years, after that period the data will be unreadable, I don't know how true this is.

mdwalkman

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:19 am

I agree with Ivan.

Do a search in some photography web sites(e.g. forums in dpreview.com), you will notice complains on MiroDrive is a lot more than CF cards. Microdrive is cheap but it is unrelieable, more battery consuming, slower performance than CF cards.
Please excuse my poor English.

wietse

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:21 am

Unreliable? So far I have heard of people, including myself who have had more than 10.000 images saved on it, without a single problem.

Wietse
Wietse de Graaf

apuneger

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:48 am

For me personally I haven't any problems getting data on or off the MicroDrive. It's just a fact that (my own) MicroDrive is noticeable slower than a Compact Flash.

But, I bought it, paid big € so I keep on using it  Wink/being sarcastic

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

Staffan

Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:00 am

While we are talking CF and microdrives, is there a lot of difference in speed between a normal sandisk CF and a sandisk ultra CF? Is the difference noticable on all cameras?

Thanks,

Staffan

Jan Mogren

Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:03 am

Staffan,
on Canon DSLR's I notice a big difference. The Ultra 2 is very quick.
According to tests it differs between cameras tho..
/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

mikephotos

Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:04 am

About the storage, I heard that CD-R remains for 2/3 years, after that period the data will be unreadable, I don't know how true this is.

With proper storage and quality media, it should be more like 30+ years if not longer.

Michael

2912n

Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:10 am

The only reason a CD should go bad is if it is scratched or somehow physically damaged.

I have used a Mircrodrive for over 2 years now with no problems. Given the choice today I would buy to solid state 1 gig card, but they are hardly unreliable.

timdegroot

Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:13 am

"The only reason a CD should go bad is if it is scratched or somehow physically damaged."

Not sure if that's true. I had a long discussion with a friend of mine who's an IT student, and he was convinced many cd's wouldn't last 10 years. I think this should be more of a concern to us than it is now.

Tim

Alderman Exit

Staffan

Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:19 am

Ok thanks! Are all normal CF cards type I and only microdrives type II? Or are there type II cards that aren't microdrives?

Staffan

glennstewart

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:26 pm

Only a couple of suggestions with regards to uploading 300D shots:

1. Generally shoot Large Fine (or if you want extra work - RAW)
2. Purchase a digital wallet - e.g. www.xs-drive.com then shoot away
3. For white aircraft, set EV to -1/3 (under expose a tad)
4. Experiment between centre AF and all AF
5. With consumer lenses keep aperture small - f5.6 is generally far too soft, f8.0 is start of sweet spot, f11 is better again - balance this with shutter and ISO, and sometimes use Av or P to suit
6. Stay away from pre-programmed modes
7. Get Photoshop 7.0 or CS from somewhere....
8. Read my post on:
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/aviation_photography/read.main/122028/

Glenn
Respected users.... If my replies are useful, then by all means...