QANTAS077

New York Help Needed

Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:14 pm

hi guys
i am embarking on a journey from perth, ausrtalia this tuesday 23rd march which see's me in tokyo for 1 week, zurich, frankfurt and now the addition of New York.

i'll be in NYC from 7th to 11th april, wondering if anyone is able to assist me please in spotting?

many advanced thanks

montague smith

aagold

RE: New York Help Needed

Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:48 pm

Monatgue

You can find some info on spotting locations for JFK and LGA on my website. The address is ...

http://www.anniebees.com/Photos/AviationWelcome.htm

Art

Go3Team

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:44 am

Aagold: I noticed you don't have any info for EWR. It seems that when I've been by it, there have been some spots, as you can see the airport real well from the NJTP, and 1&9.
Yay Pudding!

aagold

Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:09 am

Burke

You're right there isn't anything about Newark for several reasons. Over the past couple of years it's become very difficult to shoot at EWR and the pleasure in doing so is really not there. Almost anywhere you go you are chased away quickly. I can remember spending hours in the Ikea lot across the turnpike shooting inbound 04 and outbound 22 operations. Now they call the Elizabeh PD and you get chased out. As you do in the long term lots under the 22 approach. Stopping on the NJTP isn't recommended as I'm sure the police would not like it and probably give you a ticket for stopping without a good cause. You just can't hang on the side of the NJTP for hours  Sad

And, I guess another big reason is the traffic. About 85 to 90% of the traffic is CO blue tails of all degrees. Not that they aren't nice to shoot, but you can only shoot so many before you get bored.

JFK is my airport of choice for several reasons. First, for the most part, it's pretty much hassle free. You're shooting off grounds from public locations and most of the time don't get bothered by the local authorities. They might come check you out but I've never been chased away to date. And the variety at JFK is just so much more. With all the foreign carriers and the heavies it's just more interesting.

I'd like to go back to EWR and shoot more, but it's just not worth the hassle to me.

Art

Go3Team

Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:50 am

I see your point. Maybe they need to throw in a service plaza for the newbs like me.  Smile
Yay Pudding!

JohnJ

Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:02 am

"I can remember spending hours in the Ikea lot across the turnpike shooting inbound 04 and outbound 22 operations. Now they call the Elizabeh PD and you get chased out."

The last time I was there the Elizabeth PD didn't even have to be called - there was a police Explorer sitting in the parking lot all day long. I thought first it was just parked, but when I checked more closely it turned out there was an officer in it. Even so, I managed to shoot without any hassle for about an hour, although the shopping center security truck came by once and looked me over pretty carefully. If I had been chased off, it would have made for an interesting situation. My wife was in the Toys 'R' Us store shopping, while I stayed in the car with our 2-year-old son. If they had asked us to leave, I would have called my wife on her cell phone, instructed her to make a big production of putting the $200 worth of merchandise she was buying back, and made sure she let the store manager know why she was leaving without making her purchase.

I concur that JFK is by far the better place to spot, but there are airlines that serve only EWR, and I was hoping for a bit of variety. What I came back with was a bunch of Continental shots and mediocre shots of Lufthansa and TAP Portugal A340s.

aagold

Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:43 am

John

I've thought about exactly the same thing ... sending the wife in to shop while I take pics, but the cops would probably say "OK, you can stay in the lot, but you can't take pictures." Either which way you probably wouldn't win. OH, and about the wife making a big stink and leaving. Tell her to fill the carriage with a few thousand dollars worth of merchandise so they hurt a bit. With the money that store pulls in $200 means nothing.

LOL

Art

QANTAS077

Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:13 am

Hi Guys,
thanks for the info, is there an easy way to get around to spotting points at JFK other than car?

i won't have alot of time in NYC so i am hoping for 1.5-2 days spotting at JFK and the rest as a tourist.

Art,
i have emailed you some details after getting a message from Sam.

many thanks

monty smith