CFIcraigAPA
Topic Author

Do I Charge For This And How Much?

Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:36 am

Got this today:

Hi Craig:

I am an admirer of your photograph of our Allegiant Air aircraft on approach at DIA. Would it be possible to receive permission to use this image as a composagraph or in some other format on our website, on our intranet or potentially for some other airline use? I appreciate your consideration.

Best regards,

Mark Peterson
VP, Marketing & Sales
Allegiant Air

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Craig Mills

So, I assume since this will be for a commercial use, I would not be out of line in asking for compensation, correct. Now, for the tricky part. I don't want to quote too high of a price and scare them away, but I'd like to make it worth my while. Of course, they may just ask around until they find a real cheap offer or someone offering it for free. Let's hear the advice!
CM
Prior Proper Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

DLKAPA

RE: Do I Charge For This And How Much?

Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:52 am

If it were me I'd just ask for 20 bucks, but then again, I don't really shoot for money. But that's just me.

DLKAPA
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

CFIcraigAPA
Topic Author

Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:55 am

I don't shoot for money either, but it's nice to get an offer with the possibility of some income every so often. You might get some offers when you get the D-Rebel! I'm excited! Seems Denver has gone from an F7x7 town to a 300D town.
CM
Prior Proper Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

ArmitageShanks

Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:24 pm

Ask them to fly you there to personally deliver the copy to them, lol.

DLKAPA

Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:08 pm

Craig, just two more paychecks. Two more weeks and that baby'll be mine. Then probably after another long wait I'll get a decent 400 lens.

two more weeks.

actually, Armitage has a good thought going. Just ask for a set period of time in which you can fly as much as you want for free or discounted, because hey, they will be using your picture everywhere.

DLKAPA
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

atomother

Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:56 pm

Craig,

If it is just on their employee site let them use it for free as long as you are cited. If it goes on their public page, I would start the bidding at $200 per photo depending where on the page. $400 for homepage!

Good luck and good job!

Tim

beechcraft

Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:52 pm

Hi,
you could have a look at this.
the prices are maybe a bit on the higher side, but i could give you an idea,

best regards,

Denis

http://www.photovault.com/link/index.images/photovaultpricing.html
That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

Jofa

Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:15 pm

I see three different usage licenses, all with different pricetags:

1. Use this image as a composagraph or in some other format on our website.
(you need to know where on the website, and how big the image will be before you can set a price)
2. On our intranet.
(you need to know for what purpose they will use it)
3. Potentially for some other airline use.
(impossible to set a price, you need to know what those airlines will use the image for, how many copies, size etc etc)

At this point you can't set a reasonable price because you don't know what they will use your image for.