PUnmuth@VIE
Topic Author

Want An Inside View Of Airliners.net - Here You Go

Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:01 am

May be not what you expected but interesting nevertheless. Some nice E-Mails from the last days that we screeners are getting in response to the screening results.
"Buy some glasses the picture is of very good Quality"
"Fu(k you"
and so on.
Sometimes its really fun  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!
Peter
-

RE: Want An Inside View Of Airliners.net - Here You Go

Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:05 am

Nuts

There are lots of stupid people out there. This is really unacceptable! I think the writers of these mails should have their images removed from the database and they should be banned forever!

regards, Florian

[Edited 2004-04-01 18:05:56]

bigphilnyc

Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:10 am

Well, I highly doubt that anyone writing those emails even gets pictures on this site. Lack of maturity like that would probably also result in really bad picture taking.

There's another message board that I've been a member of for over 3 years (I'm considered an elder), and I get hate mail regularly from random ghost email addresses, and I also get hate e-cards. I almost enjoy it. I know that if I'm not getting them, that I'm not being myself on the boards!

As for the screeners, if you are getting comments like those, then you know that you're doing a good job of screening and not being leniant. GOOD JOB GUYS!!!

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

timdegroot

Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:20 am

"Well, I highly doubt that anyone writing those emails even gets pictures on this site"

You'd be surprised Phil.

Tim
Alderman Exit

bigphilnyc

Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:30 am

Well, yeah, I guess I can see that.

It's a shame, but if I were a screener, I don't think it's anything to stress. Such a person obviously has social defects, we might as well watch and be entertained, right?

I'd love to learn of the progressed photographers (if any) that write these emails. I hope it's no one I'm a fan of!
Phil Derner Jr.

andrewuber

Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:10 am

If I were a screener, I'd shoot a VERY quick rejection back to them: BADATTITUDE.

Big thumbs up
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

Granite

Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:45 am

Hi all

Peter, you forgot the one about 'The screeners obviously don't know anything about aviation'

Some really sad twats out there...........but the biggest culprit of all has been found out  Wink/being sarcastic

Cheers

Gary

Airplanepics

Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:00 am

Some really sad twats out there...........but the biggest culprit of all has been found out

LOL! And we know who that was dont we!  Big grin

Simon  Big thumbs up
Simon - London-Aviation.com

Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:05 am

Actually WE don't know ... but YOU could tell us  Wink/being sarcastic

regards, Florian

wietse

Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:08 am

Its not that hard to figure it out  Smile Considering the other sources I have  Big grin... And nope, not A.net sources...
Wietse de Graaf

PUnmuth@VIE
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:15 am

WTF is aviation ?  Nuts  Wow!  Nuts  Wow!  Nuts  Wow!
-

Bernieh

Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:23 am

Seems some "psychos" are out there ...  Wink/being sarcastic

Bernd

jwenting

Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:03 am

"Buy some glasses if you think the picture is good" is just about literally what one of the early screeners commented to me on rejecting one of my pictures...

If you consider it an insult if someone advises you to get some glasses, I want to know what you think of a long-time screener here using the same language against photographers?
I wish I were flying

wietse

Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:06 am

But do keep in mind that the screeners are the ones that are correct. I must say that I remember some of your rejections, and you were saying that they were pin sharp. They werent.

Wietse
Wietse de Graaf

Sukhoi

Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:07 am

>>>It's a shame, but if I were a screener, I don't think it's anything to stress<<<

We dont stress we think why the f**k are we doing it for free  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Always makes your day having nice emails from our admirers and as Gary has mentioned we will catch up with those who think they can get away with it...

Cheers

Paul

mirage

Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:30 am

"We dont stress we think why the f**k are we doing it for free"

If you don't like it, don't do it, nobody is forced to be a screener, easy.

Anyway, why give attention to those people?, by giving them attention it's their goal, you feed them, they strike back.

Luis

cathay112

Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:25 am

I might start uploading airport buses, posters stuck on my walls and pictures of women taken in airport terminals again - I was hurt and immeasurably dissatisfied that my last batch were rejected. This site obviously doesn't know anything about aviation  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Speaking of which, I recently had this picture rejected and it was taken within 1000km of an airport so I think it's perfectly acceptable

wietse

Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:33 am

And doesnt this one look remotely like Wunala? Bit harsh to reject it!

Wietse
Wietse de Graaf

Bronko

Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:40 am

Are those the kind of frogs people lick to get high? I have always wondered what they look like.
Jet City Aviation Photography

Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:56 am

Hopefully you guys got that "Lee Lopikes" son of a bitch. I haven't heard from him lately. That guy was a true scum, and I hope you virtually kicked his ass.

Brian - SPOT THIS!

f4wso

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:35 am

I really appreciate what Anet has done to promote many aspects of aviation hobbies. I feel like a guest when I enter as it is free service and can not imagine being disrespectful. The ability to showcase what I enjoy doing and improve my skills have been great. Making new friends is wonderful. I would support those that cannot maintain decorum be given a warning subsequently banned for a repeat outburst. They can go to other sites. I have enjoyed Anet for some time and got a first class membership to support keeping it on the web. but, I still remain respectful and have disdain for those that trash it.
Gary Chambers
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

maiznblu_757

Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:01 pm

If I were a screener, I'd shoot a VERY quick rejection back to them: BADATTITUDE.

LMAO... So true.. If I were a screener you would have your share of them Andrew! HAHAHA.  Big grin I dont think you can disagree there.

planeboy

Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:14 pm

I thought those of you out there who have eaten frog legs would like this joke...

What did one lesbian frog say to the other lesbian frog?

"Those humans are right - we do taste a little bit like chicken" !!!  Wow!

Joge

Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:18 pm

"Buy some glasses..."

Hahhaha! That's a good one...  Big thumbs up

Insane

-Joge
Bula!

Skymonster

Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:43 pm

Paul / Sukhoi hit the nail on the head - I don't get stressed about the insults, but all the screeners do this for free, for the "benefit" (depending on how you percieve it!) of the site and the photographers. When we get messages like that, I start to think "I don't need to give up my free time just to be insulted - why should I bother?" I can clearly recall at least a couple of occasions where I had a couple of hours free, was planning on screening, read my e-mail first, and after being insulted (again) decided I'd got better things to do. Whilst constructive criticism is always acceptable, the insults from a few bad apples can end up impacting the silent and supportive minority.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

ckw

Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:20 pm

I think Andy makes a very important point - this sort of bad behaviour is not just a problem for the screeners to deal with - its a problem that impacts on everyone. There is always something else a screener could be doing (such as uploading their own pics). And even if the screener shrugs it off and decides to screen anyway, do you really want your pics screened by someone who has just been insulted and abused  Smile

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

fireguy274

Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:35 pm

I think a person who sends insulting or rude emails should be warned once perhaps and then promptly loose all rights to the site on the second offense...Screeners take the time to make this site possible and they do not need the harassment. If every picture was accepted we would not constantly improve our photos. The high standards of this site are helping me become a better photographer and I thank you all.....Artie

Jan Mogren

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:09 pm

Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and shame!
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

Granite

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:28 pm

Hi all

Some of the insulting and rude mails can be quite funny.

We (the screeners) can have a laugh at them all, especially when the pics are REALLY crap!

I have to say that, sometimes, replying to rude e-mails results in apologies from the photographer which is good I suppose.

Cheers

Gary

aagold

Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:08 am

Reading through this I thought of what New York City did several years back to combat prostitution. Not only did they arrest the hookers, but they published in the newspapers the names of the "Johns" to embarrass them in the community. Annonimity protects the behavior ... perhaps exposure to the A.net community by publishing the comments and the author's name would help them grow up a little bit. You don't always have to agree with a rejection, that's what the appeal function is for, but's that's no reason to send insulting e-mails.

Art

9A-CRO
Crew

Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 am

I think the problem is partly in badscan rejection message.

If photo is rather good but not A.NET perfect then it is frustrating to read
The image quality of these photos is low.

and it can piss some people of

Shouldn't it be nicer something like that
Photo does not meet high Airliners.Net standard of quality.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward...

timdegroot

Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:00 am

We don't call you an a$$ in the rejection message, I think it's rather fair to way it is now. If we would make it even more generic people would have even less info to work with.

yes you can be frustrated with rejections, but don't cool off on the screeners, but maybe smash yourself in the head or throw your camera out of the window, those are the real causes of the rejection, not the screeners Big grin

Tim
Alderman Exit

vir380

Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:03 am

Quite a popular rant is : Yeah why wont you accept my pictures .... im a pro photographer you guys dont know s*** about quality ... mine are far better than any on the site ... f*** you ... ill take them elsewhere .

Good stuff... you should see these "pro photographers " pics  Smile

badangle / badblurry / badsoft .....etc etc ...

you would be astonished at some of the commments we get !

Brian ... Lee Lopikes is no more

Smile
Moved away from this lost website to better things !

9A-CRO
Crew

Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:13 am

Badscan is generic, too generic.
If clear reason like badcolor or badblurry or both are given this give photogrpaher clear reason why there was rejection but badscan is too vague. It isn't really so much work to click a few more times.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward...

737heavy

Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:15 am

Why won't you accept my photos, they are much better than ones I have seen on your site recently.

"I'm a/I have a friend who is a" pro photographer and "they say/my" pictures are very high quality, so why have you rejected them? (Delete as app)

Some people upload crap then complain when it's rejected for being crap.

Regards

Lee

Bronko

Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:48 am

What is the email flow like? When someone sends an email to screeners@, do all screeners read it? Maybe someone could volunteer to screen the screeners email, and delete these kind of messages so it does not even reach the screeners. The email that is legit, would then be fw:ed on to screeners2@ airliners .net or whatever.

I don't know how much this would impact the screener work flow, just a thought.

Granite

Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:07 am

Hi all

What really get's people mad are the rejection messages.

People have to realise that every rejected message cannot be replied to personally. If this were the case the queue would rise by 10,000 in a week!

Many people do not take the time to fully read the messages, a BADSCAN is a scan problem to some and results in a reply like 'Fu** you, I have a digital, how can it be a bad scan'

On the other hand, we do get some nice mails telling us that they have tried to add pictures to the site for some months, and while they have had many rejections, this has helped them improve their photography. When they get an acceptance, they are over the moon.

These type of mails are appreciated.

Cheers

Gary

9A-CRO
Crew

Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:22 am

Of course it all can't be replied personally but if screeners took a few more seconds and select two or three boxes instead of bascan it would be much greater information to photographer.

Granite

Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:15 am

Tomislav

I think the we, the screeners, do this anyway but badscan encompasses a few reasons.

We will try to take this into account while screening.

Regards

Gary

Sukhoi

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:31 am

>>but if screeners took a few more seconds and select two or three boxes instead of badscan<<<

Dont worry we will tick as many boxes as possible in future  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Some of you wouldnt beleive what crap we do get uploaded at times.

Maybe we should have a gallery of shame as well as a name and shame  Nuts

Cheers

Paul

DLKAPA

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:16 am

I notice that in your rejection letters (I seem to get them quite frequently  Confused ) That it gives you these detailed explanations (which I do find very helpful). Do you think that maybe above these you could put the BADSCAN (as mine usually are) or BADDISTANCE or BATWHATEVER tag? Like right above the detailed info on how to fix it you just put that too?

That would be a nice feature and help me out.

DLKAPA

[Edited 2004-04-03 00:17:35]
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

9A-CRO
Crew

Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:49 pm

And another poiint about when badscan can really become frustrating. If one screener passes picture and second gives badscan that is puzzling and frustrating.
So photo is presumably of rather high quality since it was passed for second screenig and it gets rejected for generic non-specific reason with such "get-you-down" first line of rejection message.

ZOOMER

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:52 pm

For many contributors AIRLINERS is only a form of status symbol. Their ONLY interest is to see how many photos they can get on file and how many hits they get so that they can brag about it. The fact is that probably 90% of their contributions are just plain boring. Personally I consider the screeners to be quite lenient. If I was a screener I guess my hate mail tray would be overflowing as I would have rejected at least 40% of what HAS made it onto Airliners net! (Many not only for dubious "quality", but also for "boringly repetitive" reasons).

Unfortunately there are now a great deal of uneducated people out there who lack the necessary diplomacy in presenting their disappointment. Their only recourse is to be abusive and threatning, and they are naive enough to believe that it will actually have some effect. Of course, most of these hate mails to screeners are anonymous and cannot be identified as coming from any particular individual. It is, therefore, difficult to ban their photos from the site. However, when identity is proven I do urge AIRLINERS to throw them and their successful photos out.

F27

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:46 pm

With the money that is being made by this website now don't you think it is about time that payday was made once a month for the work that is put ion by people on this website.

EGGD

Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:35 pm

Brian ... Lee Lopikes is no more

Cool, did anyone actually Sue him? Arriva were very interested when I spoke to them about their advertisment campaign on other companies busses  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Bronko

Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:00 am

Another suggestion, don't know how feasible it is however:

Have all uploaders upload and communicate via a "Airliners.Net Photographers Upload" account. That way, there is some accountability.

Always uploading crap? Limit to one photo uploaded per week until your work improves.

Flame mail sent to the screeners? Ban the SOB, close their account and upload privileges.

This topic comes up frequently, surely there is a solution. I made another suggestion above as well.

Kereru

Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:03 am

We do get some nice emails from time to time and that makes up for some of the flame mail. When I first started to upload to A.net it was to get the old slides in the cupboard onto a suitable vehicle to share with other aviation enthusiasts. I am encouraged that quite a number of uploaders have done the same thing and their responsive emails of appreciation are very welcome.

Over the past week I have reduced my screening hours from 10 to a much lower figure due to various reasons some not associated with A.net but the others are, and the biggest ones are constant reuploads with very little done, photos totally unrelated to aviation, several similar views of the same aircraft, some with incomplete info (no cn, manuf, etc). Some of these faults are from long standing A.net photogs with very professional sites of their own but they are just too lazy or whatever to include the cn when it is already in the DB. We should not have to decide on which photo an uploader wants on A.net so please do a bit of self screening and just submit 1 or 2 of each reg or in exceptional cases 3. (cockpit shot, in flight, on the ground shot)

It will save us a lot of time and you too if you follow the guidelines for A.net and the queue will not get so big. Perhaps you could think of yourselves as a "screener" and what would you do given the guidelines that you were to keep too?

Regards,
Colin
Good things take Time.

airliner777

Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:36 pm

Roger that Colin! I would like to take the opportunity and thank ALL of you guys for the hard work!!

Keep it up!
Adel

miamix707

Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:34 pm

hey Adel you've been lost man? whats up with you?

I have to agree with Zoomer's comments above. I would also reject about 40% if not more of everything that's on the site.

I don't think I could be a screener, after seeing pictures of cessnas, blimps, military and other non-airliner stuff you'd have to pay me to screen that. Not w/out mentioning I'd reject every BA A319 or American 737, or anything that gets too repetitive.

on a lighter note, those are not frogs, but geckos. Those things are so nice, even kissable!

aviatortj

Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:33 pm

Every BA319 and AA738??? I certainly hope not  Wink/being sarcastic

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter Fagerström
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paul Paulsen - AirTeamImages

-TJ