sulman

How Do You Describe This Effect?

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:02 pm

I've been looking at some old scanned pictures I've processed with neatimage recently, and have observed this effect it can give in photographs, which I must admit is quite distinctive once you notice it. Bright highlights become 'smoky', as if applied with an airbrush, and surfaces can get this strange, almost 'plastic' look. It almost appears (in some cases) if the image is halfway between a photograph and a painting/rendering.

I'm sorry if this sounds vague, but I'm struggling to articulate what it is - I'm sure people here know what I'm getting at - what's it commonly referred to as?
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

ckw

RE: How Do You Describe This Effect?

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:36 pm

I think the term you're looking for is "smoothing". Basically what is happening is Neatimage is failing to distinguish between noise and actual detail, and removing too much. Noise removal tools need to be applied with extreme care, and ideally in the case of Neatimage, profiled to the camera, if not the individual picture - ie. you need to teach Neatimage the difference between noise and photographic detail.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel