tsentsan

Seeking Some Help For A Rejected Image

Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:42 pm

Hi everybody,

Had 2 shots I liked alot rejected.

http://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=9vsgc-lineup-03042004-dsc6770-sin-2.jpg
and
http://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=9vsmt-lineup-03042004-dsc6788-sin-1.jpg

Both were rejected for badcentered, badsoft, and baddark.

Whilst perhaps I didnt use enough USM for sharpening, I was wondering if I could do anything to make these 2 images salvageable since I really like them both, and if possible, retain the motive.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
-Tsentsan

NO URLS in signature

IL76

RE: Seeking Some Help For A Rejected Image

Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:23 pm

Tsentsan,
Nice location, can you show me next time I'm in Sing? (Sept 2004)
The A340, the left half of the engine is softer than the rest, almost as if you photographed through an airplane window (blurry round the edges). BTW, did you use NeatImage or something like that? The bellies of the planes look a bit odd to me. Underneath the cockpit the bodywork panels/rivets look very sharp, but on the belly it's much softer.
The fact that you only see the left engine would make the screener tick 'badcentered' I guess.
Bad dark? I don't see it...
Cheers,
Eduard

LHSebi

Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:42 pm

I recently had some images rejected for baddark with similar lighting conditions. If you have the sun shining on one side of the plane, whith possibly the nose a little more lit than the rest of the body on the dark side, you have a problem. Since the sun (in your pictures) is coming from right side of the frame. This will obviously make the left side of the image (right side of the plane) relatively dark. You can try to make the overall brightness higher, but I'm afraid that will cause the nose to be overexposed, giving another rejection. One thing that has worked for me was to manually (using lasso or magic wand in PS) select the brighter parts, and make them slightly dimmer, or vice versa. Doing this however usually leaves the borders of the selection visible due to the differences in brightness, unless you do it very slightly.

Sorry if this is confusing...I'm quite tired today! I would try just overall brightening the image a bit, but make sure not to get too much white glare off the nose. About the badcentered...probably the fact that only one engine is showing. Did you crop lots from here?

Anyhow, I really like these photos! Hope I helped,

Sebastian
I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.

beowulf

Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:20 pm

I think both pictures are excellent because they convey the shere mass of the airplanes, esp. the Airbus image. However, there is something about the image which I find disturbing and this is the left engine. It gives the picture an odd feeling. Maybe next time try to get them from a different angle. Or take only a part of the image to underline the mass.

Nick

tsentsan

Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:33 pm

Hmm ok guys thanks for the comment. Guess these 2 will be for the personal collection Big grin
NO URLS in signature