fallingeese

Monopods

Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:18 am

I'm thinking of buying a Manfrotto monopod, but I'm not too sure what type of head I should buy to accompany it. What type of head do those of you who have a monopod use?
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

JeffM

RE: Monopods

Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:38 am

I had one of those Manfrotto's with the rubber neck, I forget what it was called, but I didn't care for it. I returned it. They do make a neat pistol grip mount. Currently I just use the $10 Wal-mart pod. It seems to work just fine.

fallingeese

Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:52 am

I've looked for that monopod here in Canada, and have had no luck in finding it. I have the pistol grip mount on my tripod, and I love it.

DLKAPA

Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:37 am

When in need of a monopod, I just stick one leg out of my Tripod. Works pretty well, too.

And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

fallingeese

Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:12 am

I have done that in the past, but I have a nice solid Manfrotto tripod, and well it just doesn't work the greatest in confined spaces. I need something smaller since I do air-to-air shoots with helicopters. It's just not convenient enough when shooting out of a JetRanger.

f4wso

Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:35 am

A buddy gave me a six foot length of chain with a camera screw attached through a drilled hole. It works best for lighter cameras and indoor work. I carry it in my C-750 bag and have never had a problem with it when going through security.

Otherwise, I use one leg of a tripod extended like DLKAPA.
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

2912n

Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:07 pm

I picked up an inexpensive monopod at the camera store a couple of years ago when I was using a Sigma 170-500 lens. Using the monopod was much easier than a tripod for aviation stuff, tho it did need some getting used to.

I would suggest a ball type head for it if you are going to shoot airplanes. Makes it much easier to tilt upwards. But work with it to get some practice and find that right height that works for you.

fallingeese

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:51 am

As funny as this may sound, but for the majority of the times when I would be using a monopod, I would be shooting downwards.

ckw

Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:38 am

Mark - just curious ... doesn't using a monopod in a chopper transmit airframe vibration to the camera? I was under the impression that you should isolate the camera from the airframe as much as possible.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

fallingeese

Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:39 am

It does to an extent, but then again when you are in some of the older JetRangers, you are feeling the vibrations rather heavily yourself. When I have used my tripod as a monopod while being airborne, I put the leg of it on mine to dampen out the vibrations. Plus, when doing a ridge drop, a monopod is much more convenient.