ua935

Lens Protection-UV Or Skylight Filter

Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:25 pm

Hello,

I have just purchased a Canon EOS 300D and Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX HSM.

Do any of you out there use either a UV or Skylight filter for lens protection?

Any assistance/advice would be appreciated.

Regards Simon.
Live every second like you mean it

Stefan

RE: Lens Protection-UV Or Skylight Filter

Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:30 pm

i´m using a skylight for both my lenses (28-105, 200-400). good way to protect lenses, as you wrote.

regards stefan

Joge

Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:40 pm

For sure!

Your lens has 77mm filter size. That big filters may seem expensive (50-70 euros), but buying a new filter is always cheaper than buying a new lens (in case you hit the front part). I would also consider about getting a multi-coated filter (like Hoya HMC).

-Joge
Bula!

Rotate

Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:49 pm

aloha,

I am using UV- Filters on all my lenses for protection, I think does change less the picture, than skylight filter .....

robin
ABC

bowen0614

Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:44 am

I am using HOYA UV[0] for the protection.
It seems that the UV filter does not change the picture much, just for protection.

Bowen

Skymonster

Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:53 am

Both do relatively little to affect the image and I view either/both as more critical to the protection of the front element of the lens than to what they do for the resulting pictures. Whilst I am sure that there are indeed differences that the likes of Colin Work could explain, I'd not turn my nose up at either one if the other were not available.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

melflyer

Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:49 am

I to use UV filters on my lenses. The protection offered while shooting through fences is invaluable, especially with all the knocks. Far cheaper to replace the filter than the lense, although i have noticed the prices of Hoya filters creeping up, so may have to be more careful.  Smile

Cheers

ckw

Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:44 am

I (and it seems from the photo sites) others have swung back and forth on the filter issue over the years. On the one hand, yes, they do offer some lens protection. On the other hand, its another piece of glass which may potentially reduce image quality - unless the filter is of the highest quality and multicoated it may result in slightly less contrast and increase the potential for flare.

My personal position at the moment is to go filter free (most of the time) - in all the years I have used filters I've not noticed any scratches or other damage which might have been inflicted on the lens. I do always use a lenshood though which I think provides more effective protection. Perhaps I have just been lucky, but having made a significant investment in high quality L glass, I am very reluctant to put anything else between the lens and the subject. One exception is that I try to remember to use one if shooting by the sea - I'm not keen on cleaning salt spray off the lens!

In terms of photographic benefit, technically the UV filter can help reduce
that bluish haze you see in distant landscapes, though the effect is subtle
and really only noticable under certain conditions (mid-day sun shots). Could help a bit with contrail shots.

The skylight adds a slight warming effect to your shots which partially counteracts the blue-ish shadows which occur in high sun situations.

This sort of very subtle filtration is important primarily for slide shooters. For print shooters, any effect will be negated by the processing lab (or more correctly, over-ridden by the machine exposure/colour compensation). For digital shooters, the effect of the filter is easily (and more precisely) replicated in Photoshop.

Cheers.

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel