bigphilnyc

BadDistance Questions

Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:56 am

I have a major preference towards shots with nice backgrounds and scenery. Shots of a plane in the sky are nice and all, but there are much more cooler variables (to me) when the runway or nice backgrounds are featured.

I came across this great shot while checking the day's most popular:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter Unmuth - VAP

A great shot, and a style I hope to emulate as my time as a photogrpaher continues.

But I can clearly see how such a shot can also get a baddistance rejection. I think the line is so fine between acceptable zoom and rejectable distance, from my own experience.

I was wondering what the screeners' exact criteria is when it comes to screening such further away shots. What are the factors that will ultimately decide such an acceptance?

I plan on taking a lot of shots with similar zooms, and I want to know how I can self-screen such shots before I waste the screeners' time uploading them.

Thanks,

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

Skymonster

RE: BadDistance Questions

Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:02 am

"...what the screeners' exact criteria is..."

LOL - I don't understand the concept of an exact criteria (he says in his finest British accent!!!) Big grin

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

futterman

Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:40 am

Phil: I'm surprised you didn't come to a simple conclusion on your own. The runway obviously, for me at least, adds that extra 'ooph' to the photo (especially the concept of length), that oddly enough dismisses the need for a BadDistance rejection. It's a perfect shot all around--runway, plane, smoke, and amazingly no heat haze...

...I always knew Unmuth was a freak of nature.  Big grin
What the FUTT?

TS

Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:21 am

I'd still be interested in answers by the screening folk.  Smile

Thomas
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

PUnmuth@VIE

Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:47 am

Thanks for mentioning me Phil  Smile/happy/getting dizzy and to answer your question:
Two words: "Airport Overview"
Peter

[Edited 2004-04-24 19:55:04]
-

Granite

Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:24 am

Hi all

Many 'baddistances' are without motivation.

Peter's image does not come into that category.

Cheers

Gary