DLKAPA
Topic Author

Would This Make A Good Pic...

Fri May 07, 2004 1:54 pm

...Or would it be rejected. This photograph pretty well demonstrates what the Denver authorities feel towards our hobby, however the sign itself is a few miles off airport land (it's actually the border of a farmer's field) and has nothing to do with the airport.

But it is pretty much the vibe we're picking up from the authorities.

Sorry, this was the biggest version I could find.

Eric

[Edited 2004-05-07 06:56:32]
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

bigphilnyc

RE: Would This Make A Good Pic...

Fri May 07, 2004 1:59 pm

badfunny

philler
Phil Derner Jr.

DLKAPA
Topic Author

Fri May 07, 2004 2:22 pm

sorry phil, but I was trying to be serious.

It really sucks that we only get a good half-hour in before we get chased away, or we pay for economy.

And Me and Ryan Richter drive about 30 miles to get there, and for teenagers, that's kind of a long way.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

bigphilnyc

Fri May 07, 2004 2:29 pm

Yeah, I can certainly relate to how frustrating that can be.

Is there supposed ot be a sign in the pic or something? I dont quite understand the picture.
Phil Derner Jr.

DLKAPA
Topic Author

Fri May 07, 2004 2:36 pm

If you look below and left of the main control tower you will see a "no tresspassing" sign.

Eric

JeffM

Fri May 07, 2004 2:45 pm

Eric,
That sign has been up for ages by the looks of it. There are 100's of old "keep out", and "No Tresspassing" signs out there.

I'd have to go with "no", not a good picture. Could you take a few more steps back maybe? LOL

Why didn't you just go to one of the other spots?

DLKAPA
Topic Author

Fri May 07, 2004 2:56 pm

That sign has been up for ages by the looks of it. There are 100's of old "keep out", and "No Tresspassing" signs out there.

I just thought it would make a good pic. At the time I took it, I wasn't exactly using good "photographer technique," so I didn't even notice the sign until I uploaded the pic on my computer.

Why didn't you just go to one of the other spots?

We did, This was taken before I met up with Richter, and before our confrontation with the non-english-speaking security guard. After that we went out to 25 to catch departures.

Eric

JeffM

Fri May 07, 2004 3:00 pm

Eric,
Do me a favor. Keep track of every time you get stopped, checked, asked to move, etc. If possible, get a card from the officer or security guard that asks you to leave. Make sure you note the time of day, and location if you can.

I think we should document some of this stuff for use in the future should the need arise.

DLKAPA
Topic Author

Fri May 07, 2004 3:17 pm

Can do, Chief.

Though I don't know when I'll be up there next, my last day of school is next thursday, so I might be up on Friday since I don't have work,

But I'm still saving the greens for a longer lens.

Any recommendations lens-wise?

Eric

atomother

Fri May 07, 2004 3:30 pm

If you just want something quick go for Canon's regular 75-300mm lens without the IS. It has the same optics in it from everywhere I have read about it.

From seeing your shots of late, I guess the one pointer I can give that will help the most is get the weather/lighting in your favor. Go out on a clear cloudless day. Aim for early mornings or early evenings. That will give you the best time to play around and learn. You will never learn a whole lot when that high cirrus layer is overhead. That is the worst! Also, Try out the approaches to the 16s and the 35s. You will draw the least amt of attention there and get the most traffic there.

Oh yeah, one more tip. Something has to fill the frame. It doesnt have to be an airplane. I have one with my 2.0 MP C700 with a tiny plane in front of a huge Cb. The plane may be small but that cloud filled the frame. It is going to be nearly impossible getting a shot on without filling the frame with something.

atomother

Fri May 07, 2004 3:32 pm

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tim Samples

That one!

2 mega pixels and I even cropped it!

DLKAPA
Topic Author

Fri May 07, 2004 4:04 pm

Nice shot, tim.

how much does that lens cost?

atomother

Fri May 07, 2004 5:19 pm

$249 at mikes camera. Check it out!

DLKAPA
Topic Author

Sat May 08, 2004 12:17 am

Thanks, Tim, I'll definetly be over there later today, looking, I'll give it a shot.

Eric