pacallen

Help With Photo Rejection (Bad Quality)

Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:10 am

Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster  Smile...

This is my first attempt at taking photos of jetliners... I have a few pictures in the database already but they are all of smaller aircraft that are parked. I didn't have many worthwhile pics to submit, except for this one, but it got rejected for bad quality. I have the original in 2272x1704 if anyone wants to see if they can help me out (there is some empty sky that I had to crop out).

http://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=N780SW-2.jpg

My camera is a Minolta S414 4.0MP camera... Definitely not the best in the world but should be decent enough to get a few shots accepted.

Thanks for your time,
pacallen

[Edited 2004-06-07 21:11:59]

IL76

RE: Help With Photo Rejection (Bad Quality)

Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:20 am

Hi Peter,
It's seriously soft, and it looks like it wasn't sharpened at all. It looks motion blurred aswell, but I'm sure you can get a better picture out of it by a different editing technique. Can you explain how you edited this picture?
cheers,
Eduard

sulman

Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:24 am

It looks motion blurred, and I think the crop has pushed the image quality to the limit.

Go for some easier shots of similar aircraft. It's much easier to get a vibrant, sharp image when you can neatly fit the whole aircraft in the frame - it helps your camera do the work. Try ramp shots or get near them when they're low on approach.

It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

Granite

Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:25 am

Hi

Ditch the shot and try again.

Southwest pics are ten a penny.

Cheers

Gary

pacallen

Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:38 am

Yeah I guess it is a bit soft now that I look at it again. I'm heading out to KMCI again tomorrow for a line service interview and I'll probably try to shoot a few more photos.

As for editting, I just did a little work in Paint Shop Pro making the picture a little sharper and adding a bit more contrast. I have Photoshop 6.0 as well, but rarely use it because I'm too lazy to learn how to use it correctly... Should I start to study up a little on PS?

Thanks again,
pacallen

mygind66

Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:08 am

Photoshop 6 is good enough to have very good results. I have no idea how good is Paintshop pro but take it seriously if you aim for good pics..

Enrique