martinairyyz

The Photo Masacre Has Begun...... At Least On Mine

Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:59 pm

Sad, sad day for me. A virus got onto my computer last night unknowingly while playing FS multiplayer and this morning I come to edit my photos and what do you know? 90% are now Airline logos (i.w Skyservice, Air 2000). and 5% cannot be opened becuase they are corrupt. So I only have 5% of my photos, which I am currently saving onto a disk along with other prized posessions. My Concorde trip report which was almost complete was also lost along with all my Flight Sim .dll files and a couple of urgent word documents  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad Tomorrow I will be formatting my HD and reinstalling Windoze. A firewall is within my reach but greatly diminishes the memory of the computer.

Now Airliners.net will be a retreat for me to see my photos which are no more.

Martin
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

UTA_flyinghigh

RE: The Photo Masacre Has Begun...... At Least On

Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:05 pm

Stop everything !
If you're on 2000 or XP, try booting in safe mode and running System Restore.
Mounting the HDD on another computer could also work out.

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

martinairyyz

RE: The Photo Masacre Has Begun...... At Least On Mine

Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:15 pm

I never made a restore point and the pictures are still corrupt/gone in safe mode. :Yes, i'm WinXP. Thanks for the suggestion though!

UTA_flyinghigh

Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:25 pm

WinXP creates restore points automatically by default (provided you haven't turned the feature off).

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

JeffM

Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:26 pm

Restore points should be taking place automatically. And I would try mapping that drive from another, (well protected) pc and scanning from the second pc, or just trying to read them from it.

martinairyyz

Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:37 am

Half of my registry is already corrupt along with most of my files and I managed to put whatever I needed on disk. The restoration does not work (I tried) and it gives no reason.... I guess it is corrupt too  Sad

Thanks for the help from everyone
Cheers

rotor1

Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:41 am

Sorry to hear this. Theres a program out there called "Digital Image Recover) that can work miracles at recovering corrupt photo files. Small program without a website, got it from a friend. Shoot me an e-mail once things work out on the viral end and I'll be happy to e-mail it to you so you can give it a shot. Rotor at cox dot net.

Hopefully something works out.

-Mike
The best aviation photo I've ever taken was rejected by Airliners.net

wannabe

Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:00 am

This is why you really need to back you photo's up to CD/DVD regularly. It is a REAL hard lesson to learn. Martin, I hope you can recover. There are some service companies out there who can take your hardrive and try to recover it. They ain't cheap, but given what you are loosing, it may be worth it.

Danny

Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:13 pm

I would still give it a fight. Viruses usually don't corrupt jpeg or raw files. I had similar problem last year and was able to recover all photos by booting Win Explorer from the Windows CD.

Daniel

jwenting

Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:25 pm

So you've learned three things (or should have):
NEVER be online without a firewall, don't listen to the idiots who tell you to turn it off when playing FS to get better framerates...
Keep Windows up to date, this prevents most if not all such infections from happening...
Make regular backups...
I wish I were flying

UTA_flyinghigh

Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:34 pm

Another thing I gorgot to mention - try a new install from the WinXP CD and overwrite the previous Windows installation WITHOUT reformatting previously - that sometimes works.

Will

paulinbna

Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:41 pm

I don't know what you are connecting to the internet on but if it is DSL or Cable you should try a router the best 'firewall' protection around.

And it does not take up computer power.
Canon 50D user; 100-400 MM L IS 10-22 MM, 60MM Macro

BIGDEN

RE: The Photo Massacre Has Begun...... At Least On Mine

Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:52 pm

Martin,
A catastrophe indeed. If you can source a new HD, save your old one and possibly some company can recover your files. Start fresh and keep working on the problem. The cost for a new HD and OS will be less than your investment in your hard work.
Good luck!
Denis
Never met a 747 I didn't like!

Mriya

Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:23 am

Future reference, get PartitionMagic and use it to split up your hard drive into at least two chunks- a 5-10 gig chunk for windows and NOTHING else, and the rest being for programs, photos, whatever. Preferably a third chunk just for the photos. This way, if windows fails miserably (boy can that OS crash..), you can reformat the drive windows was on without batting an eye: All files remain intact, you would only have to reinstall programs so that the shell shortcuts are still available. This is what I do, and I regularly flush windows and reformat the c drive to clear out viruses while all my other stuff stays safe and squeaky clean.. so far, so good!

Norton makes a restore utility that does a good job recovering files.. I forget what it's called, but if you run it several times, even after a reformat, you can recover pretty much anything. Which leads me to this: if you ever have to get rid of truly sensitive files, write zeroes to the hard drive- The FORMAT C: command will NOT get rid of the files!

Also, back up everything onto any media you can! Redundancy is the key to long term file survival!
Currently not active in aviation photography or this site. Thank you for your interest.