malandan

Older Pre-digital Images

Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:24 pm

Having now passed the 1,000 mark for uploads, almost entirely of old photographs, I would like to make two points.
Firstly, and at the risk of being accused of you-know-what, my thanks to the Airliners crew, not just for accepting my old grainy images, but for their help and encouragement, and identifying that there is an interest in pre-digital images albeit that some relaxation in acceptance standards was necessary for many of them to be included on the site.
Secondly, and more importantly, I hope that more photographers out there will come to realize that there is such an interest, that their older images may well be unique as aircraft have been scrapped, changed hands, and unfortunately, were and still are deliberately or unintentionally destroyed.
This does however require many hours scanning negatives and processing the results through software such as Photoshop, but I have found this to be a very satisfying process, particularly considering the numerous requests to include my photographs on websites and in publications. Also I have appreciated all the encouraging emails, even those that tactfully or forcibly suggested corrections to the information accompanying the photos.
My acceptance rate initially was a depressing 30% but this has now risen to over 80% but I am still trying to weed out the dogs!
For me, Airliners is not about quantity or even quality per se, but an opportunity to share aircraft images and related data with others having the same interests.
So, keep the new ones coming, of course, but I for one would welcome more of the oldies.
Malcolm.
My interest lies in the future as I am going to spend the rest of my life there!

sulman

RE: Older Pre-digital Images

Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:49 pm

If you look at just how popular some slide/film uploads are here, I think it's an upward trend. The screeners have commented a few times that they look forward seeing slightly older images.
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

vzlet

Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:44 pm

Malcolm,
Thanks for putting in those hours. The tremendous variety of subjects you've posted is a remarkable accomplishment and a treat to browse through.

-Mark
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

Granite

Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:44 pm

Malcom

Being a screener, I much prefer screening the old scanned stuff than the up to date digital efforts.

Old stuff was screened pretty strict at the start but after some advice from Johan we are now more relaxed with them.

Carry on uploading  Smile
Cheers

Gary